Only 100,000 To Lose Jobs: Thai Labour Ministry

webfact

LABOUR

Only 100,000 to lose jobs

The Nation

30170926-01_big.jpg

The Labour Ministry figures that only about 100,000 workers would lose their jobs permanently as a result of layoffs following the floods, instead of up to 920,000 as estimated recently by the National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB).

Permanent secretary Somkiat Chayasriwong said yesterday that most of the 100,000 were hired by subcontractors with bulk employment deals.

Out of the total of 993,929 flood-affected workers, 661,627 are only temporarily out of work and would likely to be re-employed, he said.

The NESDB estimated unemployment in the last four-month period at 1.8-2.3 per cent, or 780,000-920,000 workers, after 28,678 businesses in 39 flooded provinces had to close.

The ministry has reported that 14,647 businesses have reopened and re-employed 332,302 workers, he added.

The Cabinet yesterday approved in principle an aid package under the Social Security Office for 24 million workers in the informal economy, such as hawkers, vendors, taxi drivers and motorcycle taxi drivers.

One measure involves an SSO-affiliated pension fund. Informal workers currently pay 70 per cent of their monthly contribution, at the rate of Bt100 for standard benefits and Bt150 for better coverage.

Labour Minister Phadermchai Sasomsap, who proposed the assistance package, said he would soon change the contribution ratio to 50 per cent to help informal workers.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-30

Next year industry will be making up for lost time and there will be loads of infrastrcuture projects to repair broken things. Businesses that close but still provided a necessary local service will be replaced by new ones. There will be plenty of work and money around, probably more than enough to make up for the few things that wont recover. The NESDB figure was always going to drop in the reality of the recovery period and vast amount that will spent during it and the vast amount of getting supply back to match demand for various industries not to mention that the low inventory approach has probably just been displaced.

The stated accuracy just can not be true, based on what data, are we talking full-time jobs, what about part-timers, etc etc.

"Out of the total of 993,929 flood-affected workers, 661,627 are only temporarily out of work (how long is temporarily?) and would likely (but not for sure?) to be re-employed, he said.

The NESDB estimated unemployment in the last four-month period at 1.8-2.3 per cent, or 780,000-920,000 workers, after 28,678 businesses in 39 flooded provinces had to close.

The ministry has reported that 14,647 businesses have reopened and re-employed 332,302 workers, he added.

The Cabinet yesterday approved in principle an aid package under the Social Security Office for 24 million workers (24 million or 24,000,000) in the informal economy, such as hawkers, vendors, taxi drivers and motorcycle taxi drivers."

Excuse me, it is possible that the numbers are in that range, but stating absolute numbers is complete BS. Nobody and I do mean nobody can confirm these numbers. The whole of Thailand is flood affected!!! I did not get any customer during the floods (I am not in a flood affected area). So do you think I get 5000 THB as compensation?!?!?!? Not that 5000 THB would cover it.....:annoyed:

I have absolutely no trust in so-called 'official' numbers, just someone's big thumb! From (expensive) experience I distrust almost all officials :realangry:

Thanks Buddha for the normal Thai people :jap: