Corruption Versus Democracy: Ultimate Reconciliation: Thai Opinion

webfact

STOPPAGE TIME

Corruption versus democracy: Ultimate reconciliation

Tulsathit Taptim

30171362-01_big.jpg

The line between good and evil can move back and forth all the time.

That's a fact everybody knows but hates to accept. The real taboo, however, has to do with the answer to the question, "Why?"

Most people will never agree that "Good" can be very pretentious while "Evil" is straightforward. Even more people will never come to terms with the suggestion that Good is a mere version of Evil getting bored of itself and trying to be different for a change.

In his prolonged war with "Corruption", "Democracy" has been resisting the former's push for a pact. The Angel has not lost himself, but he has been losing ground. The "line" is constantly edging into his territory. Even good people do bad things, Democracy is being told by his enemy. Why not accept this so that everyone can move forward and leave the ruins of an abstract showdown behind?

The world is grey, Corruption says. If you don't sign a treaty with me, somebody else will, and if that ever happens, don't complain. Dictators love me to bits, and them with me will make everything go unchecked, unquestioned and unresisted. You don't want that to happen, do you? If you embrace me, we will prosper together. You help rebrand me and I'll give you plenty. Some oil, maybe.

The argument makes Democracy wonder. That's what Asean has been saying about Burma, isn't it? Isolate the junta and some of their nasty neighbours will be smiling. Constructive engagement should be the way to go and blah blah blah. "But why now?" a soul-searching Democracy wants to ask himself. He probably isn't sure whose initiative it was. Is it a triumph of good virtues over an evil empire in Burma, or is someone being lured into a trap here?

Nobody's trapping anybody, Corruption assures Democracy. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. It's as simple as that. Recognising Burma is the right thing. Look at the countries where you are rigid and uncompromising. They are war wrecks, aren't they?

So, drop your meek defence in Thailand, Corruption tells Democracy. Let's get the amnesty thing over with and everyone will live happily ever after. It's ridiculous to have a People's Alliance for Democracy and a United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship going after each other, both claiming they do it for the good of mankind. Make me an integral, official part of yours, and there will be no more coups or pouring of blood in front of a prime minister's house.

Better still, Corruption adds, an amnesty will be viewed by much of the world as "your" triumph over me. Best part is, I don't care if you are to get all the credit. How cool of a deal is that? It will be hailed as something forged by 15 million votes. If the "majority" wants something, it has to be good, right? That's your original commandment, to begin with.

"Don't you see how inseparable we are already?" Corruption continues. Take a look at that move to annul all the legal consequences of the 2006 coup. Did it come from you or from me? Even the newspapers are giving different answers. Who can blame them? I don't think anybody on this planet can say it one way or the other without being bombarded by critics.

You are fooling yourself that you exist "as you are", Corruption says. Truth is, you exist as I am. Without me, you are just an "ideal", which in my book means you are too good to be true. I'm the ultimate reality. For you to really be, we have to reconcile. You pretend less, I pretend more, and that's a win-win. Our pact will give you some peace of mind. As for me, I'll get some more freedom. I'm a sincere man, you know. I hate wearing a mask all the time, wherever I go.

I don't want to be your Goddamned passport, Democracy replies, again with a high degree of self-doubt. He is wondering if he does have any choice now that things have come this far. It began simply enough, with him wanting to put Corruption in limbo.

That turned into the need to "constructively engage" his enemy, who is now invading all his territories with extreme aggression. It doesn't matter when the "line" was moved.

What matters is that the line is now behind him, all of a sudden, and the world, heaven and hell will have to keep holding their breath.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-07

In Thailand they are one and the same, polls (the bedrock of democracy) frequently reveal that most Thais accept (and by extension approve of) corruption, when we vote in a new govt the largest portion favour the return of someone who is guilty of major corruption. Democracy has chosen corruption, it has been corrupted.

In Thailand they are one and the same, polls (the bedrock of democracy) frequently reveal that most Thais accept (and by extension approve of) corruption, when we vote in a new govt the largest portion favour the return of someone who is guilty of major corruption. Democracy has chosen corruption, it has been corrupted.

Accepting is different than Approving. You might not approve but have no choice but to accept.

Corruption is for the benefit of a minority at the cost of a majority!

Say no to corruption! There will always be corruption because it is in the human nature to try to get as many advantage for yourself as possible but it is the duty of the government to FIGHT corruption!

All the money that is lost because of corruption could be put in schools, universities, hospitals and salaries instead of going in the pocket of a few already very wealthy people!

For the good of the country there cannot be any reconciliation between Democracy and corruption!

Say no to corruption! There will always be corruption because it is in the human nature to try to get as many advantage for yourself as possible but it is the duty of the government to FIGHT corruption!

All the money that is lost because of corruption could be put in schools, universities, hospitals and salaries instead of going in the pocket of a few already very wealthy people!

For the good of the country there cannot be any reconciliation between Democracy and corruption!

Bull's-Eye, Hypo! Right is right and wrong is wrong! All peoples should discuss each and every detail with their "elected-officials" to establish who butters whose bread. Irrational-Greed comes to mind.

Kind regards.

Accepting is different than Approving. You might not approve but have no choice but to accept.

Drawing a line between corruption is done in the home first, then in the school and mentored by those in Power. It begins with accepting absolute values, punishing petty thefts, learning to stand up for the law even if it means putting a family member in Prison. It is sad when the police who are supposed to set example are the very ones who are not clear of it or unified fighting it. - They stop those who they can benefit from rather than making it a rule for themselves as well. Police without helmets, now is that a joke when on the next soi they are working at gaining a small donation from a poor citizen who has no helmet for his co-rider. To excuse means to dilute the law. To state it means living by it on a 24/7 basis. Then is the society a safe place to live in.

I think of corruption as a trickle up economy, people at the bottom funnel money up, and unlike taxes, which in theory should be put to work for the people, the money just keep accumulating in the hand of the big dogs. Maybe those would deliver some pittance to the lower orders of the chain, but it's never more than a tiny fraction of what they reap.

That poll some time ago, where something like 65% of Thais said they didn't disapprove of corruption as long as they could get some benefit from it; that's delusional, just as an example, for every 500 Baht they take to vote for some candidate or another they will get deprived of many times more resources when those elected start to rake in the profits for their "investment".

We seem to look at the system as being corrupt/good and as individuals we cannot change the system, its too big/daunting to attack. When we realize most systems of government are for the good of the majority and its the individuals who have compromised/corrupted the system, then there is an accessible target to go after.

- Yes many Thais accept corruption, and many will tell you, don't worry so much about corruption, you can't do anything about it, it's impossible to change. How sad that such a big percentage of the population se it like this.

- On the other hand there groups of politicians (of all flavors) who are quite happy that the population see it this way. Again, how sad.

Agreed! I have thai friends who admit they think it´s ok with corruption! They just think it´s not ok if it´s to much!

Who can blame them, in a small scale it can be good and lead to a win-win situation. The thing with corruption is it works so well.

We also have it in the west but it´s more masked and sofisticated and primarily used by the top unlike Thailand where it goes down to the grassroot level. In some ways that´s more equal.

In theory, corruption should have a weaker foothold in a Democratic society, because the opinions of society at large can be heard more. It does look however that within any given country, the more 'disconnected' Parliament/Politicians and the higher realms of Investment banking etc is from the public at large, the more chance there is of corruption thriving. If within Dictatorships and Communism, the grass roots can see and say more about what those holding power do, these too could be just as beneficial to those at the bottom of the pile. I also think the words 'Accept' and 'Approve' are incorrect and should be replaced with 'Tolerate', but only because part of that toleration, is linked with some form of 'Kickback' at some point in time. It's also strategy used by Alcoholics, who prefer others around them, so that they can use them to justify/blame others for their own boozing.