Looking For A Modern Furniture Manufacturer

bitterbatter

I have been on the hunt for a good manufacturer in Thailand that can produce as much as a large shipping container of furniture every month. I recently began working with an old friend who is a designer from Los Angeles and will be overseeing the production and quality control.

The furniture has a lot of metal work, some wood, not your typical Thai style. I have been living here for 5 years and speak a decent amount of Thai, and have a background in design and industrial engineering. This work will have to be consistent, good quality (these is not cheap pieces- sturdy and quality finishes), on time, etc. A majority of the work will be with fabricating iron pieces that are fitted with wood. We are beginning with about 40 different designs. All designs are drawn up in CAD.

We are very aware that we could get furniture made cheaper in Viet Nam or China, but we love Thailand.

I have been looking for the last six weeks, but didn't think of posting on ThaiVisa until today. We have located one potentially good manufacturer, but can split work between different companies especially as our demand grows. Plus it is always good to have a backup.

I am extremely aware of the problems involved with working with Thai companies and workers, so finding a company that is professional, honest, and will stay in clear communication about all issues or questions... This is absolutely critical. We want to enjoy creating a partnership that makes everything easy so we can all make good profits and have fun doing it.

The designer will be in Thailand by the 11th, and we will want an initial sample or two made immediately, so we can check out the quality and production.

Anywhere in Thailand is OK.

Please let me know as soon as possible, if you or someone you recommend can help us then leave a website or message me contact information and location immediately. We will get in touch with you quickly and send a CAD design and pictures immediately.

Looking forward to making a partnership with you!

A.G.

GO and look at Greg's factory, Wood Art Design in Hang Dong. Greg does nothing but custom high end for export. Before the crash a few years ago, he was shipping only to the US, high end homes in southern california. His phone number is 081 951 0414.

Wood Art Design in Hang Dong is where you should start. Go to their website at Wood Art Design and you'll get a sense of what they can do. Anything in fine wood and metal: from custom quality windows and doors, including over sized pivot doors, exterior water tight folding doors, and lift and slide doors, to state-of-the-art kitchens, to complete luxury residential homes, including the full historical renovations. They did our kitchen here in Chiang Mai - a custom Craftsman design, quality work and well-priced.

There is a furniture show a couple of times a year at Impact in Bangkok aimed at the export market and it is advertised to importers.

I would suggest that you contact the Thailand Trade Commissioner in your area--they can supply you a list of names and websites and you can contact the various furniture manufacturers who are capable of doing goods for export.

Find Ban Tawai....it is a whole district that specializes in manufacturing furniture in Chiang Mai. Take route 108 south around San Patong, its about 25 minutes out of Chiang Mai with manufacturers scattered everywhere you look.

I would have to say that the number 1 place to do this is with Greg at Wood Art Design. He can do the metal work and his wood work is the best.

Dave

Find Ban Tawai....it is a whole district that specializes in manufacturing furniture in Chiang Mai. Take route 108 south around San Patong, its about 25 minutes out of Chiang Mai with manufacturers scattered everywhere you look.

I would have to say that the number 1 place to do this is with Greg at Wood Art Design. He can do the metal work and his wood work is the best.

Dave

Can he do a container load a month.

I was thinking the OP might want to look into setting up his own company.

Can he do a container load a month.

I was thinking the OP might want to look into setting up his own company.

From the tone of the OP the need for a furniture supplier is current. Starting a business and establishing a factory capable of producing export quality work in less than a year (or two), let alone a container a month is the kind of thinking that gets people into deep water all the time here. Bureaucracy, obtaining licenses, finding decent machinery let alone skilled workers and a trustworthy management are all major time (and money) consuming challenges best left alone if you've got a market ready and waiting. Really.

Simple things are complicated. Complicated things often turn out to be impossible...

Edit: If the proposition is solid, a container a month is likely to be no problem for WAD who have just done a very nice job on my kitchen by the way.

Edited by Greenside

Dave

Thank you very much for the suggestion. Greg is truly a master of his trade, unbelievable craftsmanship. He has given us a lot of great ideas on how we can improve our designs. We are now off and running, developing some exciting things with Greg.

Much Appreciation,

A.G,

Wood Art Design in Hang Dong is where you should start. Go to their website at Wood Art Design and you'll get a sense of what they can do. Anything in fine wood and metal: from custom quality windows and doors, including over sized pivot doors, exterior water tight folding doors, and lift and slide doors, to state-of-the-art kitchens, to complete luxury residential homes, including the full historical renovations. They did our kitchen here in Chiang Mai - a custom Craftsman design, quality work and well-priced.

Posted 2011-12-11 14:49:27

There is a furniture show a couple of times a year at Impact in Bangkok aimed at the export market and it is advertised to importers.

I would suggest that you contact the Thailand Trade Commissioner in your area--they can supply you a list of names and websites and you can contact the various furniture manufacturers who are capable of doing goods for export.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if its good form to piggyback on this thread, but do any of the Baan Tawai (or elsewhere in Chaing Mai) places make modern good quality fabric-covered sofas/ armchairs? There's nothing I like in Index, Homepro or Modernform at a reasonable price.

• 9 months later...