Hd Media Players

stgrhe

Most of my music I am listening to is through my HiFi set using CDs, SACDs or music DVDs. However, sometimes I am listening to music stored on my computer's hard disk, a mix of mp3, flac and WMA files, using a Squeezebox Duet.

I am not happy with the Squeezebox and am therefor planning to buy a HD media player to replace the Squeezebox. Although I would say I have a comprehensive knowledge on conventional HiFi sets and how to chose, I am a novice when it comes to HD media players.

My HD media player will mostly be used for audio play-backs so the sound quality has the highest priority. Having said that, I will also be using it for movies and music DVD play-backs so the player needs to have decent performances in that field too. The plyer should preferably also have a built-in jukebox or be able to accommodate a downloaded third party jukebox.

These are the players I have looked at more thoroughly on the web and any advice on types and brands are most welcomme:

• Popcorn Hour A-300, using Sigma SMP8647 chip-set and having HDMI type 1.3a
  • IconBIT XDS1003D, using Realtek RTD 1186D chip-set and having HDMI type 1.4a
  • Dune HD Smart D1, using Sigma SMP8642/43 chip-set and having HDMI 1.3 (3D video not possible)
  • Dune HD Max, using Sigma SMP8642 chipset and having HDMI 1.3 ((3D video not possible and this model appears also to be outdated by newer models)
  • Xtreamer Prodigy 3D, using Realtek RTD 1186 chip-set and having HDMI 1.4
  • AC Ryan Playon! HD, using Realtek RTD 1185 chip-set and having HDMI 1.3 (3D video not possible)
  • HiMedia HD900D, using Realtek RTD 1186 chip-set and having HDMI 1.4a

I am first of all interested in your personal experiences with the brands and secondly if there are any other models and brands you think I should consider. My aim is initially to narrow down the short-list to three types for a more thorough study.

Thank you in advance for you help.

Reason for editing: Correction of typing error

Edited by stgrhe

Astral,

Thank you so much for taking time and searching your sources. I have had a look at both Control 15 and Media Core 200 but they are no what I am looking for although I am quite confident they are very good products.

Both of these units come only with a 500GB hard disk whereas I would like at least 2TB, but preferably 3TB, storage capacity since videos will be stored as well. The rest of the family likes to watch videos. Also none of the units have HDMI outputs, which is the preferred connection to my preamp. Nor is there any support for SATA disks so using an external disk is in these cases no option.

Once again thank you for your efforts.,

I have read a lot of specifications since my last post and also covered a lot of information posted on various forums. It appears that Dune seems to be the best choice as far as sound quality is concerned, but the two new Syabas units, Popcorn Hour A-300 and C-300 still seem interesting together with the Russian IconBIT XDS1003D.

Apparently there is a general back-log on orders for the two Popcorn Hour and they have yet to be imported into Thailand. Also the IconBIT do not currently have a local distributor and the Dune Max, the Dune unit that interests me mostly, is out of stock. Hence there will be no new player in time for Christmas. I wonder if Mr Murphy has anything to do with it?

I have also noted that there are a number of good and high-end music streamers popping up on the market, but they are, although tempting as it is, quite expensive and will be an overkill for play back of mp3 music files.

Further studies have convinced med to ship a media player for now and instead buy an OPPO BDP-93. Piyanas price for this unit is only a fraction higher than e.g. Dune HD Max and the more I learn of media player is that they have crappy of very crappy sounds.

The OPPO BDP-93 can be connected to an external hard disk using USB 2,0 or eSATA connections. OPPO have informed me that any disk up to 2TB can be used but disks connecting through eSATA must come with their own power supplies. Also those connecting through the USB should be compared to the 93's specifications if they are to be powered by the OPPO.

Perhaps I later buy a Popcorn Hour A-300 for video only.

Yesterday I bought the OPPO BDP-93, installed it which was easy and swift and played some SACDs and DVDs to give the unit a first function test. My first impression is that it is a very good player that gives a lot for the money.

Next step will be to find a suitable external hard drive or network storage unit, I believe they are called NLS or something like that.

• 4 months later...

I would actually recommend a Popcorn Hour A-200 or C-200 over the A-300 at this stage.

The C-200 is a mature machine, especially for video. The A-300 is at the beginning of its development cycle and it is likely to take at least another year before it has reached the same development level as the 200 series players. Popcorn Hour does not prioritize audio - if you are not happy with your Squeezebox for audio, you will likely be even less happy with a 'tries to do everything' media player. The reality is that they are all mostly focused on the video side, and the audio capabilities lag behind.

When I first bought one of them I had the same vision of 'one box does all', but it has never worked 100%, the chipsets are limited in what they can do, and the companies who make this players all rely on the SDKs from the chipset manufacturer to correct at least some nagging bugs.

If you are aware of these limitations, like the feel of community development, and don't expect everything to be clockwork like an iOS device (deliberately limited to certain functions, that work 99.5% of the time) then by all means buy one - I've been very happy since I bought my first player, a Popcorn Hour A-100 back in 2008. Since then I've had a C-200 and an A-300 too (bought and ordered from overseas through their home page, your customs fees may vary). But if you want perfection, these devices are not for you. The C-200 is still my main player, as it is more stable than the A-300.