Kid's Thai nationality

Kid was born in UK and had a Thai passport previously.  New Thai passport not possible as no Thai ID (not living in Thailand as adult). Question, does he still retain Thai citizenship or does it need some kind of confirmation?  He does not need a new Thai passport I am just wondering if he remains Thai and has a right to one/residency in the future. 

13 minutes ago, jaxon said:

New Thai passport not possible as no Thai ID (not living in Thailand as adult).

Lucky him.. Why would one want a Thai nationality?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Have you tried to get him a Thai I.D card ?

My understanding is that you have to be resident in Thailand to apply for the ID card.  

• Agree 1

Just now, jaxon said:

My understanding is that you have to be resident in Thailand to apply for the ID card.  

I think your name must be in a house registration book here. No need to actually live here to get a Thai ID. Are there Thai relatives here who would agree to put him in their house registration book? Not sure what documents would be needed if no Thai birth certificate, but this could be found out without too much difficulty.

• Thumbs Up 2

37 minutes ago, jaxon said:

Kid was born in UK and had a Thai passport previously.  New Thai passport not possible as no Thai ID (not living in Thailand as adult). Question, does he still retain Thai citizenship or does it need some kind of confirmation?  He does not need a new Thai passport I am just wondering if he remains Thai and has a right to one/residency in the future. 

For the UK born kid we just went to the Embassy and obtained a Thai birth cert as mother is Thai.

Then Thai passport.

ID card was much later. (after having to give tea money to encourage the local office in Thailand to do their job )

Don't know if she could pass Thai nationality to my Grandson or not.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, UKresonant said:

For the UK born kid we just went to the Embassy and obtained a Thai birth cert as mother is Thai.

Then Thai passport.

ID card was much later. (after having to give tea money to encourage the local office in Thailand to do their job ) can't change to her married name unless she goes back to the office in Thailand. So still has all docs in her maiden name....

22 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Are you just trolling ?

Absolutely not. I have 3 nationalities I am proud of, there is no way I could be proud of being Thai.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

If he had a passport before, there must be a Thai birth certificate and Thai nationality.

To lose nationality, the applicable laws are contained in Thailand’s Nationality Act B.E. 2508., Chapter 2: Loss of Thai Nationality, and would require an order for the revocation of that Thai nationality.

https://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/nationality-act-loss-of-thai-nationality-sections-13-22/

Thanks.  That's my understanding, that once declared and granted (birth certificate issued) then it has to be formally revoked. 

OK, I'm going to open a can of worms here and no, I'm not going to spend hours looking for the English version of this but.......

I am very aware that there are literally thousands of kids/women that hold both British and Thai passports.  I believe women married to a foreigner can keep both nationalities but according to the law, which is ignored but to the best of my knowledge has not been changed, a child of mixed parents (foreign father) who reaches a certain age, and from memory I think its 20, must choose which citizenship they wish to keep. If they wish to keep their foreign father's nationality, they must renounce their Thai one.

I repeat, I know very well that thousands keep both. I'm just raising this to advise the OP to tread carefully if he comes up against any further resistance to renew his kid's Thai passports.  Any over zealous official involved who knows the actual law and wants to 'win' - could quote the law, providing of course that the kids have reached the required age.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

OK, I'm going to open a can of worms here and no, I'm not going to spend hours looking for the English version of this but.......

I am very aware that there are literally thousands of kids/women that hold both British and Thai passports.  I believe women married to a foreigner can keep both nationalities but according to the law, which is ignored but to the best of my knowledge has not been changed, a child of mixed parents (foreign father) who reaches a certain age, and from memory I think its 20, must choose which citizenship they wish to keep. If they wish to keep their foreign father's nationality, they must renounce their Thai one.

I repeat, I know very well that thousands keep both. I'm just raising this to advise the OP to tread carefully if he comes up against any further resistance to renew his kid's Thai passports.  Any over zealous official involved who knows the actual law and wants to 'win' - could quote the law, providing of course that the kids have reached the required age.

Thanks for the comment.  It's not so much about passport renewal but actual nationality.  It would be surprising if passports are being issued to adults who do not in fact have status.  

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I have been through all of this before - several times. Last time I checked, the law was still in place though it was also being ignored.

The URL you provided is a commercial website - please check the official Thai government documents if you want to know the law. You cannot rely on commercial websites for official rules.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Agree 1

Just now, MangoKorat said:

I have been through all of this before - several times.

The URL you provided is a commercial website - please check the official Thai government documents if you want to know the law. You cannot rely on commercial websites for official rules.

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/reclaiming-thai-citizenship/

This has links to the law. I'm a dual citizen so know what's going on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/reclaiming-thai-citizenship/

This has links to the law. I'm a dual citizen so know what's going on. 

I stand by what I've written. I spent a long time reasearching this for a friend a few years back.  If you can point to the law that states you are correct, I'll be happy to read it and be corrected if I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, UKresonant said:

Then Thai passport.

ID card was much later. (after having to give tea money to encourage the local office in Thailand to do their job )

She most certainly can pass Thai nationality to your grandson.

43 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

NOT true.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

NOT true.

I knew it. There are always some doubters.  If I have time over the next few days I will find the information - the actual official source. However, I have absolutely no doubt that you'll also argue with that.

• Haha 1

Actually, I'm not going to spend hours looking for the law from an official source with an official translation, simply because the last time I did just that, there were still those who said its not true.

You can either believe it or not - personally I couldn't give a monkey's toss.

From our own website:

Section 14
A person of Thai nationality, who was born of an alien father and has acquired the
nationality of his father according to the law on nationality of his father, or a person who
acquires Thai nationality under Section 12 paragraph 2 is required, if he desires to retain
his other nationality, to make a declaration of his intention to renounce his Thai nationality
within one year after his attaining the age of twenty years, according to such form and in
the manner as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.
If, after consideration of the said intention, the Minister is of opinion that there is
reasonable ground to believe that such person may acquire the nationality of his father or a
foreign nationality, he shall grant permission, except in cases where Thailand is being
engaged in armed conflict, or is in state of war, he may order the dispensation of any
renunciation of Thai nationality.

https://asean.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Thailand185.pdf

• Haha 1