Thaksin Announces Success Of Anti-Poverty Policy

Jai Dee

PM ANNOUNCED THE GOVT’S ACHIEVEMENT ON ERADICATING POVERTY PROBLEMS.

Prime Minister THAKSIN SHINAWATRA announced the success of the government policy of poverty eradication during the international conference on grass-roots economic development.

The Prime Minister delivered a special speech on poverty eradication and grass-roots economic development at the conference, which was held in Shangri-La Hotel this morning. The conference is being held today to tomorrow. Many experts and academics from over 30 countries participated in this event, to exchange their ideas and experiences on financial matters. The United Nations (UN) announced that this year is the year of the loan system improvement, and thus, the countries around the world would be able to solve the problems of poverty.

The Director-General of the Government Savings Bank, Mr. KORNPHOT ASSAWINWIJIT (กรพจน์ อัศวินวิจิตร), believed that this conference will help promote multilateral cooperation between various countries to solve the poverty problems. He also expressed his confidence that the Thai people will have a better quality of life. In addition, other countries would accept Thailand’s capability in eradicating poverty.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 November 2005

"Prime Minister THAKSIN SHINAWATRA announced the success of the government policy of poverty eradication during the international conference on grass-roots economic development. "

...well look around you...it says quite clearly above that the government has announced the SUCCESS of the poverty eradication policy. By definition this means quite clearly that they have eradicated poverty.

...do I have to explain everything...?? Heheh... :o

Another feel good statement that means nothing.

Words without evidence mean nothing, bold statements such as this mean less and less the more they are said. Everyweek 3-4 feel good statements like this are made, and they all mean nothing. The public are rarely given figures, when they are they are ofrten misleading.

We are constantly told sucess in this, hub of that, crackdown on blah blah blah............

Means nothing.

I don't think people are fooled anymore. :o

I don't think people are fooled anymore. :o

I don't agree there, The Thai are becoming more aware of whats happening and what's what but there are still far too many that voted for the great man last time round that still don't realise/know. Unless his downfall comes via his own party or the opposition, I can see him getting a third term.

Those naughty girls in the bars do more to ease poverty than Toxin ever will... :o  :D

Somebody could attempt to peg some figure to that statement, should be a reasonable amount but still not that big to make it into the GDP reports, IMO.

Let me try:

Say, 40,000 girls are in the (farang oriented) trade at any time.

3000 per year marry farangs (Buriram only had 5500 of mix marriages).

5000 per year get a supporter.

If it's 1K US$ per month per head in remittances, almost 100 million US$ per year in hard cash, nothing (except...?) in return. Then, purchasing houses, condos, cars...generating jobs...may go up to 150Mil per year.

The cummulative effect from the past years could be now over 1 billion per year.

That's only for the girls that have "settled" with a farang, the others are still scooping the money meant to be spent, atrracting visitors and helping hotels and the surrounding industries busy.

Thai GDP was 100 (or 110?) billion last year. Night life industry with those on the scene and those departed, IMHO, brings 4-5 billion a year of hard cash into Thailand.

Just a ball park, someone may know better and my calculation may look pesimistic.

"I can see him getting a third term."

I think i'm right in saying that under the constitution a PM is only allowed to serve two terms in Thailand.

Ofcourse this won't bother taksin as he's only shown contempt for the constituation during his entire premiership.

Edited by womble

I think i'm right in saying that under the constitution a PM is only allowed to serve two terms in Thailand.

Ofcourse this won't bother taksin as he's only shown contempt for the constituation during his entire premiership.

I didn't know that he could only serve 2 terms, something like America then. I've asked this before but no one wants to answer, who can take his place, and hopefully do a better job? There doesn't seem to be anyone in the wings, anyone that's not out to line his own pockets and those of family, friends and associates first. I'm only coming up to 4 years here so I can't say anything about the past but Apirak seems to be making a difference in BKK, I wonder if that would translate nationally?

PM THAKSIN TO SPEND 7-10 DAYS AT VARIOUS DISTRICTS TO SOLVE POVERTY IN DIFFERENT COMMUNITIES

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra stated that he will spend 7 to 10 days at various districts to eradicate poverty since the officials in many districts have not shown any progress in their works.

The Prime Minister said his visit will not be on a tour basis, but he wants to follow up the officials’ performance in solving indigence problems in their respective areas. Therefore, the premier and skilled officers will travel to those communities and demonstrate the plans to the provincial officials.

He said the reason for visiting the communities by himself is because the government policy of poverty eradication is still new that the government’s poverty alleviation program is still new, and certain officials may not have a clear understanding. Thus, he will work with the local residents and other academics on the policy.

The premier also admitted that there have been many discussions on the government’s performances. However, he said that there is nothing to worry about because it is considered to be a normal matter.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 28 November 2005

Will he sleep rough ,drive a motorbike ,and get mao on thai whisky

PM THAKSIN TO SPEND 7-10 DAYS AT VARIOUS DISTRICTS TO SOLVE POVERTY IN DIFFERENT COMMUNITIES

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra stated that he will spend 7 to 10 days at various districts to eradicate poverty since the officials in many districts have not shown any progress in their works.

The Prime Minister said his visit will not be on a tour basis, but he wants to follow up the officials’ performance in solving indigence problems in their respective areas. Therefore, the premier and skilled officers will travel to those communities and demonstrate the plans to the provincial officials.

He said the reason for visiting the communities by himself is because the government policy of poverty eradication is still new that the government’s poverty alleviation program is still new, and certain officials may not have a clear understanding. Thus, he will work with the local residents and other academics on the policy.

The premier also admitted that there have been many discussions on the government’s performances. However, he said that there is nothing to worry about because it is considered to be a normal matter. 

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 28 November 2005

• 2 weeks later...

SUFFICIENCY ECONOMY WILL BE USED TO ELIMINATE POVERTY NATIONWIDE

Deputy Minister of Interior SERMSAK PONGPANIT (เสริมศักดิ์ พงษ์พานิช) asserted that His Majesty the King BHUMIBOL ADULYADEJ’s royal initiative of “Sufficiency Economy” will be applied to help eradicate poverty in Thailand.

Mr. SERMSAK chaired the meeting on poverty eradication in KHON KAEN (ขอนแก่น) Province yesterday (December 9th), and instructed the assistant district officers from 25 districts to utilize the “Sufficiency Economy” philosophy. They were instructed to provide career opportunities to the poor people in their areas. Furthermore, successful private sectors, such as the Charoen Phokphand (CP) Group, will also offer their contributions to help those who are underprivileged and poverty-stricken agriculturists. According to the government’s objectives, each Thai farmer in 2,000 villages will earn at least 5,000 baht per month.

The northeastern province of KHON KAEN is the pilot province for this poverty eradication scheme.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 10 December 2005

Those naughty girls in the bars do more to ease poverty than Toxin ever will... :o  :D

Somebody could attempt to peg some figure to that statement, should be a reasonable amount but still not that big to make it into the GDP reports, IMO.

Let me try:

Say, 40,000 girls are in the (farang oriented) trade at any time.

3000 per year marry farangs (Buriram only had 5500 of mix marriages).

5000 per year get a supporter.

If it's 1K US$ per month per head in remittances, almost 100 million US$ per year in hard cash, nothing (except...?) in return. Then, purchasing houses, condos, cars...generating jobs...may go up to 150Mil per year.

The cummulative effect from the past years could be now over 1 billion per year.

That's only for the girls that have "settled" with a farang, the others are still scooping the money meant to be spent, atrracting visitors and helping hotels and the surrounding industries busy.

Thai GDP was 100 (or 110?) billion last year. Night life industry with those on the scene and those departed, IMHO, brings 4-5 billion a year of hard cash into Thailand.

Just a ball park, someone may know better and my calculation may look pesimistic.

Applying GDP is misleading here, the monthly remittances are the net profit so to speak - as you said: "nothing (except...?) in return".

According to the government’s objectives, each Thai farmer in 2,000 villages will earn at least 5,000 baht per month.
How? Certainly not through 'farming', the gov seems to have an interest in keeping the price of agricultural products low, so the earning potential is not going to go up. :o

The way for "underpriviliged and poverty-stricken agriculturists" is to not work as farmers anymore, it seems to me. And this is happening in the rural area I live in. Less young people are prepared to work for 100-150 Baht/day in the fields, there is a low proportion of residents in their 20s. The others have gone to study or seek work in other industries elsewhere.

"The Prime Minister delivered a special speech on poverty eradication and grass-roots economic development at the conference, which was held in Shangri-La Hotel this morning. The conference is being held today to tomorrow. Many experts and academics from over 30 countries participated in this event, to exchange their ideas and experiences...."

Maybe if the international experts and academics had moved out of their aerie in Shangri-La and held this conference in Klong Toey, they might have been less inclined to believe Toxin's feel-goodisms.

I didn't know that he could only serve 2 terms, something like America then. I've asked this before but no one wants to answer, who can take his place, and hopefully do a better job? There doesn't seem to be anyone in the wings, anyone that's not out to line his own pockets and those of family, friends and associates first. I'm only coming up to 4 years here so I can't say anything about the past but Apirak seems to be making a difference in BKK, I wonder if that would translate nationally?

The Thai Constitution states that the PM can only have two terms, but there is a flaw in the constitution that gives minority parties very little power and the dominant party (TRT) most or all the power. In saying that, the Prime Minister almost at anytime can have a vote to amend the constitution and allow himself to serve more terms if he desired so.