Recommended B&W Laser Printer For Macbook Pro?

themikeymeister

Hello

I need to buy a black and white laser printer to accompany my macbook pro. Used for study use at home, rather than an office printer that is going to get hammered.

Has anybody got any experience of a reliable Black and White laser printer to accompany my pro???

Any hints, tips, or suggestions, greatefully received.

Thanks

Any particular reason why you need a Laser Printer ?

Alternative would be a Inkjet printer (with attachable ink tanks (which you can fill yourself)) this option is much cheaper to buy and to run.

Edited by MJCM

I'm looking at advice here too. Like the OP I prefer to avoid inkjets for the same reason he gives. In addition I once tried it and with separately bought re-fillable botles of ink glued on to it. Resut was that I was constantly getting into a non-function jam to which apparently there was a 'simple' solution but being a pretty non-technical chap it was beyond me. And Epson's charge for re-instating the proprietary ink contraption was more than the cost of buying that printer again!

Hi

Thanks for all the replies.

I fancy a laser printer over an inkjet as I have heard that if you don't print pretty regulary with an inkjet the feeder tubes block up.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

:D

for B/W i would recoment a HP Laserjet ...

well anything prints using PCL5 or PCL 6 then you not need to install crappy Drivers

^^ very good advice. So are you saying one doesn't need to install HP's bloated and crappy printer drivers to print with the HP Laserjet? If so that would be a reason to buy one.

A friend of mine had (has?) a HP laser jet that lasted well over 10 years...

I don't know why but printer driver software, no matter from which manufacturer, is invariably garbage. Any driver software, actually. I installed Canon Scanner software once and later found it polled my USB ports every second. No matter if a scanner was connected or not.. was hard to remove, too.

And yes leaving my inkjet unused for a year, it didn't work anymore. Will probably go laser next time too.

I still have two old Apple Laserwriters that still work, with an old computer that I use as a print server. They were made by HP. I bought a Brother and it seem to get paper jams a lot. I also have an HP all in one a friend gave me and a Cannon Photo Printer, They are ink jets. They work fine too, just print something every few months and no problem. I do prefer the look of a good laser printed document over an inkjet, plus it won't run if it gets wet. The reason why the cartridges are almost as much as some printers is that the cartridge has microchips that are the "nozzles" so you are kind of buying a new printer when you buy the cartridge. I never tried refilling them, as I have heard it tends not to work very well... So, if you're just going to print documents get a HP Laser printer, with a decent size toner cartridge, it will last you years.

Brother has some economical bw mfcs. if you get it at good sales price with the auto document feeder. maybe 6000 baht, and you can scan things if needed. The authorized refill inks aren't overpriced. I've bought 4 lasers and 1 inkjet from brother and havent been disappointed.

inkjets have come a long way. I bought my first inkjet in a long time and the pring quality was on par with laser. And in thailand, you can get the refill kits cheap, and the print quality is fantastic, assuming you purchase reputable, compatible refill inks. the inkjets are self-cleaning.

Same is true with toner. The drum can last a long time, just replace the toner tube as needed.

Btw, always save the original box / packaging. Its really a pain trying to find a box to pack those things properly.

Brother has some economical bw mfcs. if you get it at good sales price with the auto document feeder. maybe 6000 baht, and you can scan things if needed. The authorized refill inks aren't overpriced. I've bought 4 lasers and 1 inkjet from brother and havent been disappointed.

inkjets have come a long way. I bought my first inkjet in a long time and the pring quality was on par with laser. And in thailand, you can get the refill kits cheap, and the print quality is fantastic, assuming you purchase reputable, compatible refill inks. the inkjets are self-cleaning.

Same is true with toner. The drum can last a long time, just replace the toner tube as needed.

Btw, always save the original box / packaging. Its really a pain trying to find a box to pack those things properly.

I think I got spoiled by my old Apple Laserwriter 4 PS with Adobe post script. Still looks better than anything else I've had. The other one I had a paper jam problem with was a Samsung laser printer. I have two really old HP scanners that are OS 9 only that are so heavy duty, I don't think they'll ever break. Friends give me stuff all the time that they are too lazy to use or don't have the older Apple computers to run the stuff. I just add them to my network. After all Apple was know for their graphics back then...

I've had HP printers for as long as I can remember but recently bought a Samsung SCX 3200 mono laser printer scanner. I was so impressed with it I bought another Samsung although a colour laser for the office. Even the staff who tested it in the shop were impressed with the speed and ease of use. Both printers were priced above 5,000 Baht

While both are still reasonably new and used with windows 7 they've had plenty of use without hiccup. The control panel is so easy to use. Samsung claims up to 1,500 pages with the black cartridge and supports Apple Mac OS X 10.3 - 10.6.

I've had HP printers for as long as I can remember but recently bought a Samsung SCX 3200 mono laser printer scanner. I was so impressed with it I bought another Samsung although a colour laser for the office. Even the staff who tested it in the shop were impressed with the speed and ease of use. Both printers were priced above 5,000 Baht

While both are still reasonably new and used with windows 7 they've had plenty of use without hiccup. The control panel is so easy to use. Samsung claims up to 1,500 pages with the black cartridge and supports Apple Mac OS X 10.3 - 10.6.

Haven't had to test Brother tech support, but Samsung tends to be solid all the way around with their support and products usually. Dell on the other hand seems to want to route people through their support center, which english claims go to their malaysia call office anyway.

I have two personal B&W laser printers. One is an H-P P1102W and the other is a Brother (can't remember the model number). While H-P clearly states that it supports OSX, in fact it only does so marginally. This is a wifi printer and I had it working for a while, but not right out of the box and H-Ps instructions didn't address wifi issues. After googling and spending hours looking for workarounds, I finally had wifi working. But now, for inexplicable reasons, wifi has stopped working (printer will not connect to my network) and I've tried everything to get it back without success. Have a look at H-P's support forum for all the problems OSX users are having with this printer. H-P claim that this printer works with iOs AirPrint, but support forums are filled with people who cannot get it to work, even with people who somehow got the printer to connect to their network. H-P really should have just slapped a Windows compatible sticker on the box and left out any mention of OSX support. It's practically false advertising. Never again, H-P. I'm dumping the H-P P1102W as soon as the toner cartridge is finished (if anyone would like to by a second hand printer for Windows).

My Brother wifi printer worked flawlessly right out of the box, with excellent OSX instructions, and it continues to work, including with AirPrint from my iPad and iPhone. It was cheaper, toner cartridges are less expensive than H-P's, and the print copy is identical to the H-P. Highly recommended,

Edited by bubba