6 Chiang Mai Districts Declared Disaster Zones

Lite Beer

6 Chiang Mai districts declared disaster zones

The Nation on Sunday

A total of six districts of Chiang Mai province were declared disaster zones as the prevailing cold weather affected 469,132 people, Chiang Mai Disaster Prevention and Mitigation official Khomsan Suwan-ampa said yesterday.

They were in urgent need of about 369,000 quilt blankets, 45,000 acrylic blankets, and 60,000 winter jackets.

After Om Koi and Samoeng districts were declared disaster zones and some 4,000 blankets were distributed to the affected, the province yesterday declared Fang, Chom Thong, Kalayaniwattana and Mae Ai districts as disaster zones. It would initially allocate Bt1 million to each district to buy winter clothing for the affected residents. He said the province might declare Hot district as a disaster zone next week if the temperature continued to drop.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-11

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to trot out the age old question.

What happened to the blankets and warm clothing that were distributed last year?

Well I can understand the need for clothing it does wear out but it seems like blankets last for years and yet every year they ask for them. If memory serves me rite a few years ago the King or Queen made a huge donation of blankets.

Good old Nation reporting they are in urgent need but don't tell where to give.

Edited by Scott
off-topic remark edited out

Maybe it is colder outside of town? IMO it is slightly cool in downtown Chiang Mai compared to the rest of the year, but not at all cold.

Quite a bit colder in the hills, UG. Sometimes people actually go up Doi Inthanon to see the frost! But I think calling them Disaster Areas is only a way of freeing funds for the blankets etc.

What happened to the blankets and warm clothing that were distributed last year?

Exactly ! I have wondered the same thing for years. Don't people keep them from year to year or are there that many new people with no clothes moving to the region every year?

It certainly gets cold in the mountains and every year I give extra blankets and clothing to a Lisu village I have strong ties with. This particular village is on the top of Doi Wawi in Chiang Rai province. It's bloody cold! And they can always use extra blankets, but it's far from being a 'disaster area'.

"A disaster area is a region or a locale heavily damaged by either natural hazards, such as tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, floods, earthquakes, technological hazards including nuclear and radiation accidents, or sociological hazards like riots, terrorism or war. The population living there often experiences a loss of energy supply, food, services, and an increasing risk of disease. Declarations of disaster areas open up the affected areas for national or international aid".

http://en.wikipedia....i/Disaster_area

Edited by uptheos

But I think calling them Disaster Areas is only a way of freeing funds for the blankets etc.

I think it has more to do with freeing up funds for the 'etc.'. I have a few blankets that are well over 20 years old. In Thailand it's not like they get worn out from over use.

Exactly ! I have wondered the same thing for years. Don't people keep them from year to year or are there that many new people with no clothes moving to the region every year?

They sell them go get cash?

Maybe some places, but if you have a personal connection you will know that they really need them and appreciate them much more than cash.

It's a question of getting them direct to the people who need them not pretend do gooder's.

Unfortunately, it's true some do get sold for a pittance in the hot season, in order to buy other things. But this is a hard life and putting stuff away for next year when you need money for something now to survive, but don't need the blanket, takes preference. It's a survive today society, which we are lucky enough not to be part of.

Edited by uptheos

Maybe some places, but if you have a personal connection you will know that they really need them and appreciate them much more than cash.

It's a question of getting them direct to the people who need them not pretend do gooder's.

Unfortunately, it's true some do get sold for a pittance in the hot season, in order to buy other things. But this is a hard life and putting stuff away for next year when you need money for something now to survive, but don't need the blanket, takes preference. It's a survive today society, which we are lucky enough not to be part of.

I agree that many people have a hard time. Maybe you know that there has been reports over the years that they dont' take care of the blankets. Even when its cold they use them to dry chilis, in some places. Well...

I agree that many people have a hard time. Maybe you know that there has been reports over the years that they dont' take care of the blankets. Even when its cold they use them to dry chilis, in some places. Well...

I know there are reports from me (as I have spent considerable time staying with the Lisu since 1994) that they need the blankets when it's cold to keep warm.......I can't confirm or deny other stories or myths I'm afraid.

One gives or not.....it's an easy choice.

Edited by uptheos

Maybe it is colder outside of town? IMO it is slightly cool in downtown Chiang Mai compared to the rest of the year, but not at all cold.

Up in the mountains where there is less concrete and more foliage, as well as being at a higher elevation...can be much colder than a concrete city at a lower elevation.

But yes, what happened to the blankets issued last year?

Up in the mountains where there is less concrete and more foliage, as well as being at a higher elevation...can be much colder than a concrete city at a lower elevation.

But yes, what happened to the blankets issued last year?

What a brilliant way for the Chinese Thai too add more to their riches up there, in the hills cold, daytime temperatures very warm.

In country from Udon 14 degrees last night 26 degrees now. so it is cool during the dark hours, but everyone in this area has a fire outside their home, bbq sticky rice, no blankets here.

This has been going on for donkeys years, and apart from the hill people-forget the blankets if people want to be warm and are in need they have to forget mobile cards-laos kow-cigs-lottery-and stop the son and daughter running around on the motor bike. Then they could buy warm clothing.

Ridiculous. I was up in the northern mountains all week in a small village. It was cold at night, but nothing out of the ordinary for this time of year. I think someone has a very loose understanding of the term disaster. Perhaps they should declare winter instead of disaster, it would be a lot more accurate.

It is always nice to have a few new blankets however, old ones do wear out.

It certainly gets cold in the mountains and every year I give extra blankets and clothing to a Lisu village I have strong ties with. This particular village is on the top of Doi Wawi in Chiang Rai province. It's bloody cold! And they can always use extra blankets, but it's far from being a 'disaster area'.

"A disaster area is a region or a locale heavily damaged by either natural hazards, such as tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, floods, earthquakes, technological hazards including nuclear and radiation accidents, or sociological hazards like riots, terrorism or war. The population living there often experiences a loss of energy supply, food, services, and an increasing risk of disease. Declarations of disaster areas open up the affected areas for national or international aid".

http://en.wikipedia....i/Disaster_area

Thanks for doing the job.

While I sympathize with those suffering from the cold It's clear that using terms like "disaster" is inappropriate. I thought an earthquake or dam (management) failure had happened.

The only result of this inflation in terminology is just to get the people not paying attention anymore to these news. The same with "hub of this", "excellence center of that"...

Was BKK even declared a Diaster zone with the floods?

I do not doubt it is chilly up int he mountains, the same it gets chilly every year at the same time and every year a disaster is declared to free up the funds that the people in power have pre arranged blankets to supply, I suspect at a "special" price.

Well I can understand the need for clothing it does wear out but it seems like blankets last for years and yet every year they ask for them. If memory serves me rite a few years ago the King or Queen made a huge donation of blankets.

Good old Nation reporting they are in urgent need but don't tell where to give.

I agree with both of you guys. There are tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of blankets, warm jackets and other "winter gear" distributed each and every year. This sort of garb is only worn/used for a few weeks, then presumably put in the closet or stored otherwise as temperatures rise again. But apparently not, because it seems to disappear every time as soon as the cold spell is over. My guess is that it's sold, because the recipients know that they can beg for warm clothing again once the next cold spell comes around. I bought myself a warm coat six years ago and it's still as good as new, because I can't wear it most of the time anyway.

Don't people keep them from year to year or are there that many new people with no clothes moving to the region every year?

Yes, they wrap them nicely and store them in gaily coloured sturdy cardboard boxes. Then they take the spring clothing out of storage and of course then they put the spring stuff away in sturdy boxes then take out the summer gear. For the rainy season they unpack umbrella's, poncho's, and Timberland weather gear.

But apparently not, because it seems to disappear every time as soon as the cold spell is over. My guess is that it's sold, because the recipients know that they can beg for warm clothing again once the next cold spell comes around.

What a ridiculous statement!

Most can't think as far as next week, let alone begging next winter.......it's called survival.

Rather than speculate, please refer to the weather report;

Warning

"Cold in Upper Thailand and Strong Wind-Waves in South"

No. 12 Time Issued : December 11, 2011

A prolonged influence of intense high pressure over upper Thailand will last 12 December. Cooler weather with 2-3 °C drops and windy will be likely over the North, the Northeast, the East and the Central including Bangkok and vicinity. High mountains will experience very cold weather and frost with minimum temperature below 10 °C in many places. People are advised to wear thick clothes due to sudden changeable weather.

Thai Meteorological Department