What Are The Costs Of Maintaining/Running A Pool?

MunterHunter

Ok i admit, i am a total pool novice, i haven't got a clue about whats involved or the costs associated.

However, i have an opportunity to rent a house with a pool... so i would like to ask the members here to help give me a basic run-down on what i need to do and roughly how much it costs.

I know it very much depends on the size of the pool, i presume things like 'how much direct sunlight it gets' and 'potential debris' etc will be variables.

But bottom line, what do i need to do? What chemicals do i need to add (and rough quantities)? what are the rough costs of the chemicals etc.

Also, electric, do i need the pump/filter working 24/7? any ideas on how much it costs to run the pumps etc?

Just want to get half an educated guess before i make my decision on the place with a pool, to see how viable it is.

Thanks in advance

MH

This is an interesting topic Mr. MunterHanter and hope everyone with a pool answers. Perhaps they could include details of their pool, pool dimensions, pump size and running times, filtration method, pipe sizes and amount of sunlight the pool is exposed too. I think all these things will make a huge difference to the running costs.

The two major cost will obviously be electrical and chemicals consumption and it will be interesting to see the differnces.

I will contribute next year when my 8x4 pool is up and running, when I expect them to be amongst the lowest, we shall see.

Can't help with much, but can tell you my pool guy runs 1800B/month and supplies all the chemicals. For maintenance, I'm guess the big items will be replacing the pump and filter at some point. As well as regrouting at some point. My neighbor is regrouting his pool right now, after about 6 years.

I have looked into this before, and what I have found is that is that for a 4m X 8m pool, with a saltwater chlorinator, utility and chemical costs should be around 5000 baht per month, if you are paying standard rates for government electricity and water. If you have a pool service take care of maintenance, it should cost about 1500 baht to 2000 baht per month. I have always done my own maintenance in the past on pools I have owned, and it is not that time consuming or difficult. There is some good information on the "cool thai house" website.

I think the first question you should ask yourself is do you really need a pool?

Sounds daft I know but many people, myself included, find that after the initial excitement of owning a swimming pool don't use it! Or at least don't use it enough to warrant the cost. If you have kids it may be different but in that case you will probably have to be there every time they want to use the pool for safety reasons. Then comes the 3 months or so at this time of year when the water feels so cold you don't bother using it anyway! If you still want to go ahead then fine.

I can't tell you exactly what it costs to run my pool but here are a few facts.

I use the pump for about 6 hours a day spread over 3 run times.

20 kilos of chlorine granules cost about 2200 baht and for a 10metre x 5 pool will last between 6 - 8 months.

50 kilos last time I bought cost 3400 baht.

40 kilos of soda ash for ph. will cost approx. 600 baht but should last more than 1 year.

testing kit costs about 500 baht.

This is only relevant if you do your own cleaning which only takes about 1 hour per week and you have your own vacuum hose etc.

Vacuum hose, head, net and brush with telescopic pole will set you back another 5000 baht +

You can always get a pool man to do the work for you, anything from 1500 baht upwards, but if you're not watching he will probably skimp on the chemicals, especially the soda ash. Don't be taken in when they say they will come everyday because unless your pool is used by loads of kids each day it only needs cleaning about twice a week.

Cleaning yourself is easy after the initial few months getting to know what to do and "when" it needs doing.

Best of luck!

I have looked into this before, and what I have found is that is that for a 4m X 8m pool, with a saltwater chlorinator, utility and chemical costs should be around 5000 baht per month, if you are paying standard rates for government electricity and water. If you have a pool service take care of maintenance, it should cost about 1500 baht to 2000 baht per month. I have always done my own maintenance in the past on pools I have owned, and it is not that time consuming or difficult. There is some good information on the "cool thai house" website.

but adding golddust and some champagne to the pool water is not mandatory :whistling: that means with 800 Baht for electricity and a maximum of 2,000 Baht for chemicals and replenishing water during the dry season you should be ok.

I have just finished my pool, water going in as we speak. An infinity 8 x 4 x 1.2 with a roof, 1hp pump and twin bag filters and plan on a water change per day costing 12 baht in electricity, A 50 kg bag of chlorine costs 4800b and should last 18 months, so that is 9 baht a day. 21 baht so far = 630baht/month.

I have nothing growing around the pool, it is part above ground so less chance of dirt ingress and almost no direct sunlight on it. No one will p*ss in my pool and p*ss again without an appliance, I have 2 footwashes and everyone showers before and after, so other chemical will be minimalised.

I will spend about an hour a day cleaning (no dog to walk so need the excersize) and swim as much as I can, as I did in my last pool in France.

Hard to see how our friend arrives at 5000 baht/month, maybe the topless pool cleaner is charging too much for her services.

Do you need a pool?... of course you do, bugga all else to do and most brits would give their right arm for a climate they could use one in. Someone has probably already taken the house by now. As for not swimming in the winter, you must be joking, our winters are great.

Silence is golden, duct tape is silver.