Banks Taking 1 Baht Coins

james24

yes it is any bank.

but why on earth sellotape them together

Just thought it would make for easier counting when going into a branch rather than scattered all over the front desk. Count one and measure the rest by height.

But Im sure I heard something about banks not accepting them anymore.....

Most banks will want you to separate them into bags of 100. The first 2000 are free, after that they charge a "change" fee. There is also the treasury pavilion in the middle of town that will take as many as you have and exchange them for free.

Treasury Pavilion (18.788327,98.988077)

Most banks will want you to separate them into bags of 100. The first 2000 are free, after that they charge a "change" fee. There is also the treasury pavilion in the middle of town that will take as many as you have and exchange them for free.

Ah thats good news, do they have the bags at the bank or is it a bring them yourself? May I ask whereabouts the treasury pavillion is...where its near etc as Ive seen the name but cant place it

Yes the banks have the bags and usually some of the nice young ladies will help with the counting..... The T Pavilion is on the Sunday walking street. cut and paste the coordinates into google maps. 18.788327,98.988077

Ah thats good news, do they have the bags at the bank or is it a bring them yourself? May I ask whereabouts the treasury pavillion is...where its near etc as Ive seen the name but cant place it

Edited by CMSteve

Yes the banks have the bags and usually some of the nice young ladies will help with the counting..... The T Pavilion is on the Sunday walking street. cut and paste the coordinates into google maps. 18.788327,98.988077

Thanks alot, Ill check it out later in the week :-)

Ah thats good news, do they have the bags at the bank or is it a bring them yourself?

I often pop into a bank to change 1 baht coins and I've never found any reluctance to oblige. On a couple of occaisions the cashier has proffered me the 100 baht note without actually bothering to count them. I always insist they do. I've never seen special bank bags for say 100baht. They usually seem to have them sellotaped together in stacks of ten as you appear to have noticed. I just shovel them into those small food bags.

Never had a problem with the 1 baht coins, the 50 and 25 satangs are more of a problem. i just throw then away but the missus insist on bagging them and taking to the main Tesco Lotus branches where they accept them at the service counter.

Well done your missus, good job one of you has some sense. biggrin.gif

Throwing money away in Thailand, no matter how small the denomination is very much frowned upon,

Edited by uptheos

How does anyone end up with a significant quantity of coins? Unless you run a shop that sells items priced below 10 baht?

I rarely have more than 15 baht in coins in my wallet; just use them. I use the 25/50 satang coins too. Or sometimes I empty all of my small change for a tip somewhere, this will include the 1/2 salueng coins.

Heck I use the 7-11 Doraemon stamps as currency, and not only at 7-11.. ;)

You might be interested in reading my posts Exchanging Satang Coins for Banknotes in CM. 2011-10-10. and Satang to Banknotes...Thanks for the Response. 2011-1013.

I had just joined the forum and was fishing for a topic when I saw a newspaper article on exchanging satang coins. I thought it would be of interest. But the response was overwhelmingly negative.

It turned out to be an object lesson on how quickly things on this forum can turn into farce.

Maybe it was the fact that I was a newbie. Whatever it was, my first post turned out to be a baptism by fire.

Most Thai banks will take coins, but staff are under no obligation to count large amounts of coins, unlike in the UK where the banks supply special bags for the deposit of coins or changing them into notes.

From experience I found it is not worth the hassle of saving coins and spend them whenever possible.

What you could try is going into a bank at a time when it`s not busy, smiling at the clerk and asking if he/she will do you a favour and take them off your hands. In most cases the clerk will do the deed for you.

It wasn't as bad as it could have been. The only newbie part of it was that you didn't ask for the thread to be closed when you already had a good answer. In fact, I think I answered you within minutes of your original question.

You might be interested in reading my posts Exchanging Satang Coins for Banknotes in CM. 2011-10-10. and Satang to Banknotes...Thanks for the Response. 2011-1013.

I had just joined the forum and was fishing for a topic when I saw a newspaper article on exchanging satang coins. I thought it would be of interest. But the response was overwhelmingly negative.

It turned out to be an object lesson on how quickly things on this forum can turn into farce.

Maybe it was the fact that I was a newbie. Whatever it was, my first post turned out to be a baptism by fire.

Welcome to Thaivisaforum.....the roughest place in the country. you need a thick skin just to get some simple harmless information as so many of the 'contributers' just sit at their computers all day long waiting to pounce on inocent newbies........just ignore them and never engage them.