New Honda Civic

Krub

I am considering buying the new Honda Civic.

Any thoughts ?

In Japan they only propose the 1.8 but I see that they have a 2.0 version in LOS.

The prices in Tokyo for a 1.8 top range including car navigation etc is only about the equivalent of 700k baht ! And I thought Japan was expensive.....

Cheers

After many months of trying to make up my mind what to get I've decided on the '06 Civic. All the shortcomings of the previous Civic have been satisfied for me. MP3/WMA player, Climate control, VSA, Digital speedo (have one on my car and would miss that), 155HP 2.0l engine (same output as mine). Was considering the Mazda3 but really didn't like the appearance (inside and outside) that much. Plan on ordering either next month or first of the year.

Read hundreds of reviews and for me it is perfect. You can get a lot of information here:

http://www.vtec.net/forums/forum?forum_id=3529

And the 12-17 km/l on regular gasoline would be nice, up from my 8l/km I use now.

Edited by tywais

After many months of trying to make up my mind what to get I've decided on the '06 Civic.  All the shortcomings of the previous Civic have been satisfied for me.  MP3/WMA player, Climate control, VSA, Digital speedo (have one on my car and would miss that), 155HP 2.0l engine (same output as mine).  Was considering the Mazda3 but really didn't like the appearance (inside and outside) that much. Plan on ordering either next month or first of the year.

Read hundreds of reviews and for me it is perfect. You can get a lot of information here:

http://www.vtec.net/forums/forum?forum_id=3529

And the 12-17 km/l  on regular gasoline would be nice, up from my 8l/km I use now.

Hi,

What is the price difference between the top range 1.8 and the 2.0 ?

Is there a difference in the cost of insurance for the 2 models or road tax ?

Thanks

Edited by Krub

Hi,

Thanks

Here is the price list: post-566-1133163856_thumb.jpg

I believe the insurance is based on the price of the car and the road tax on the engine size. I'm probably wrong but others will advise.

Hi,

Thanks

Here is the price list: post-566-1133163856_thumb.jpg

I believe the insurance is based on the price of the car and the road tax on the engine size. I'm probably wrong but others will advise.

Very helpful, thanks

Why would you go for the 2.0 over the 1.8 ? Is it worth the extra 100k ?

Why would you go for the 2.0 over the 1.8 ? Is it worth the extra 100k ?

I just translated the specifications from Thai to English and this is the breakdown of differences between the 2.0E and the 1.8E:

1. Side mirror turn signals

2. Steering wheel paddle shifter

3. Cruise control (not too useful for me)

4. Chrome door handles vs color keyed for the 1.8E

5. Exclusive seat design on the 2.0E (not sure what that means)

6. Steering wheel audio control (really want that)

7. Fog lights

8. Blue leather seats with beige trim (not too sure if I will like that, but better then black) vs beige leather (heard people complain about that color getting dirty easy)

9. 2.0E has DOHC vs the 1.8E SOHC allowing better control over valve timing.

10. 155HP/188NM torque vs 140HP/174NM torque

11. Electric assist power steering (EPS)

2.0EL is the model I want because of additional safety features:

1. HID (high intensity discharge lamps)

2. VSA (vehicle stability assist)

3. Side curtain air bags

Edited by tywais

There will be review of 2l Civic in this week's Motoring in Bangkok Post - wait till Friday, in the meantime you can read the 1.8l review here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/251105_Motoring...005_motor06.php

Saw that last Friday and eager to read their response. Won't change my mind 'cause read a few hundred reviews already including it has been given the "Motor Trend" Car of the Year award for 2006.

http://motortrend.com/features/news/112_ne...ar_of_the_year/

Edited by tywais

I am considering buying the new Honda Civic.

Any thoughts ?

In Japan they only propose the 1.8 but I see that they have a 2.0 version in LOS.

The prices in Tokyo for a 1.8 top range including car navigation etc is only about the equivalent of 700k baht ! And I thought Japan was expensive.....

Cheers

Strange - I always understood Japan was one of the cheapest places in the world to buy a new car - friend of mine living there bought a Range Rover brand new and told me it was vastly (sorry he did not quantify vastly) cheaper than the same model in UK with better specification to the extent that there seemed to be no options that he could specify and pay extra for because everything was already there. I know there is also a growing market for grey imports of premium cars into the UK from Japan for the same reasons and these are not always Japanese models - i.e cheaper to buy a Benz or BMW and ship it over to UK on grey import.

There will be review of 2l Civic in this week's Motoring in Bangkok Post - wait till Friday, in the meantime you can read the 1.8l review here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/251105_Motoring...005_motor06.php

Saw that last Friday and eager to read their response. Won't change my mind 'cause read a few hundred reviews already including it has been given the "Motor Trend" Car of the Year award for 2006.

http://motortrend.com/features/news/112_ne...ar_of_the_year/

Very interrresting. I will make my mind on which model within the new civic range by next Monday 5 December.

In the meantime, I think I understand the side curtain airbags as additional safety features of the 2.0L model but (for a novice like me) what is :

Thanks

HID: Unlike normal halogen headlamp systems, HID headlamps do not use a filament. Instead, they contain an inert gas (Xenon), which emits light when it comes in contact with a high-voltage electrical arc.

HID lamps produce up to twice as much light as halogen lamps, with a bluish-white cast and minimal fading at the periphery of the beams. However, the brightness perceived by an individual depends on the distance from the light source, beam direction, relative brightness of the surrounding environment, and other factors.

Nevertheless, HID lamps have been proven to improve visibility. A motorist using an HID lamp system is able to see about 100 metres to the front of the vehicle, compared to about 58 metres with standard halogen lighting. Source: Onemotoring.com

VSA: "Think of stability control as an invisible copilot who intuitively knows when you've lost control of your car, and then comes to your aid," Available as standard or optional equipment on many new high-end cars, stability control systems with names like StabiliTrak, Dynamic Stability Control, Stability Management, and Vehicle Skid Control are the latest advancement in vehicle safety.

Source: http://www.mucda.mb.ca/Stability.htm

HID: Unlike normal halogen headlamp systems, HID headlamps do not use a filament. Instead, they contain an inert gas (Xenon), which emits light when it comes in contact with a high-voltage electrical arc.

HID lamps produce up to twice as much light as halogen lamps, with a bluish-white cast and minimal fading at the periphery of the beams. However, the brightness perceived by an individual depends on the distance from the light source, beam direction, relative brightness of the surrounding environment, and other factors.

Nevertheless, HID lamps have been proven to improve visibility. A motorist using an HID lamp system is able to see about 100 metres to the front of the vehicle, compared to about 58 metres with standard halogen lighting. Source: Onemotoring.com

VSA: "Think of stability control as an invisible copilot who intuitively knows when you've lost control of your car, and then comes to your aid," Available as standard or optional equipment on many new high-end cars, stability control systems with names like StabiliTrak, Dynamic Stability Control, Stability Management, and Vehicle Skid Control are the latest advancement in vehicle safety.

Source: http://www.mucda.mb.ca/Stability.htm

Thanks for the info.

Wonder it will 'lock' the car or brakes in case of loss of electric power or due to some electronic or programming errors....

I vaguely remember a BMW high end car which blocked the doors due to some electronic errors and it had to be smashed open.

If it works as described, it is a mighty safety enhancement worth considering.

Hi,

Just went to the Honda show room and will order the 2.0 EL (top range) in dark blue.

It is simply a great car ( a little expensive at 1.093.000)

The interior didn't look cheap to me and is in a dark blue.grey 2 tone fake leather material.

The diver's seat is very confortable and the new design of dashboard is awsome.

The test drive was short but conclusive. Engine reponses very well.

The added security of the sid eairbags also contributed to the final choice.

i did not like the idea of having an interior in light beige (the 1.8 E) with any of the body colours so the choice was down to the 1.8 S (AS) or the 2.0 EL

Delivery should take 10 days

YEPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Edited by Krub

Hi,

Just went to the Honda show room and will order the 2.0 EL (top range) in dark blue.

The interior didn't look cheap to me and is in a dark blue.grey 2 tone fake leather material.

i did not like the idea of having an interior in light beige (the 1.8 E) with any of the body colours so the choice was down to the 1.8 S (AS) or the 2.0 EL

YEPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

That's great Krub. The seats were the only thing I was concerned about (haven't gone to look at one yet.) Are you sure they are not leather? I also didn't want beige and especially not black. Will probably be ordering in the next month after test driving one.

Hi,

YEPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

That's great Krub. The seats were the only thing I was concerned about (haven't gone to look at one yet.) Are you sure they are not leather? I also didn't want beige and especially not black. Will probably be ordering in the next month after test driving one.

Hi,

Well some update as TIT not al is going as planned....

I found out that the 2.0 EL has either the beige OR the two tone dark blue/grey seats. I am not sure they are leather or not. They look fine to me especially in the 2 tone version. The driver's seat is fine for me and I am not especally big but not small either at 1m80, 90kg !

The body color should have been dark blue BUT it truned out to be dark purple and on the colour sheet looked really purple.

Switched to metallic blue (a new colour for CIVIC) and am very happy about it

Should get delivery within this year

I found out that the 2.0 EL has either the beige OR the two tone dark blue/grey seats.

Thanks for that update.

The body color should have been dark blue BUT it truned  out to be dark purple and on the colour sheet looked really purple.

I was wondering when you said dark blue because it didn't show on their site, the purple and a light blue so I guess you are referring to the light blue? That's the last thing I'm trying to decide on.

I found out that the 2.0 EL has either the beige OR the two tone dark blue/grey seats.

Thanks for that update.

The body color should have been dark blue BUT it truned  out to be dark purple and on the colour sheet looked really purple.

I was wondering when you said dark blue because it didn't show on their site, the purple and a light blue so I guess you are referring to the light blue? That's the last thing I'm trying to decide on.

I will add that the 1.8 E does not have the choice of seat colour but has only beige (Ivory) meaning that a 2 tone seat means a 2.0 new Civic

The body colours :

In the dark coupours there is black, wine red and dark purple

In the light colours : light blue metallic, light grey metallic, dark grey metallic, light beige metallic

Not all body colours are available in each Honda dealer (even if you order and wait) as they work with quotas for regions.

So if your region's dealer cannot order a colour or is out of quota you need to travel to another region's dealer o buy it.

I wanted a body colour to match the 2 tone dark blue/grey seats and wanted a blue tone. I firts thouth the dark purple was dark blue but settled for the light blue metallic.

I think the wine red was really a nice body colour also.

Personally, i'd get a darker colour on a civic. Great little cars though. One of my friends had one and he has over 100,000+ kms on the clock and it's still running strong. Very reliable and gas mileage is decent...

good luck with your purchase

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone explain why we can get 155 hp, VSC, HID, gear shift paddles, side curtain airbags and what not with Honda badge for 1 mil but the same specs cost 2.5 mil with BMW badge?

Bimmer (320i) has torqier engine, but it's also heavier so it cancels the advantage, Bimmer is rear-wheel drive but all pickups are rear wheel and cost less than Civic. Bimmer has keyless entry but is it worth 1.5 mil extra? 100k is for "free" service and maintanance for three eyars, but 1.4 mil are still unaccounted for.

Honda put up an excellent package, the best value for money. What I especially appreciate is that they increased low and mid range torque of their 2l engine.

I might order a 2.0EL Civic myself early next year.  Does anybody know how long a wait is for dark purple?  Krub, did you get your delivery yet?

The colours available depends on the quota of your dealer.

I had the choice between 3 colours

Silver grey metallic

Light blue metallic

Dark purple

Even if you are prepared to wait some colours will not be available at certain dealers, they say it depends on quota.

i suppose thta bangkok dealers should have the whole range of colours.

Dark purple is only available for the 2.0

Silver grey was at the dealers so could have had it within a week

I wanted the dark purple but it looked really purple and I finally opted ofr the light bue metallic.

It has been promised for the new year.... I tranlate it a January 2006

No fixed date

I only paid a 10.000 naht reservation fee and signed a contract for financing with 30% upon delivery and the rest over 4 years

Looking forward to delivery

Edited by Krub

I was driving in Chiangmai last week and saw a black 2006 Civic 2.0 parked on the side of the road. When I first saw it I thought what a gorgeous car and thought it was the new BMW 320i, then looked out my rearview mirror and saw the round tail lights and knew it was a Civic. Really looks great in black, my choice (I'm aware of the disadvantages but my current car is very dark green and looks black at night).

When you indicate quotas, is that per dealer or per region? Chiangmai has two dealerships, one on Hand Dong road and the big dealership near Sankaphaeng.

I was driving in Chiangmai last week and saw a black 2006 Civic 2.0 parked on the side of the road.  When I first saw it I thought what a gorgeous car and thought it was the new BMW 320i, then looked out my rearview mirror and saw the round tail lights and knew it was a Civic.  Really looks great in black, my choice (I'm aware of the disadvantages but my current car is very dark green and looks black at night).

When you indicate quotas, is that per dealer or per region?  Chiangmai has two dealerships, one on Hand Dong road and the big dealership near Sankaphaeng.

I am in Uttaradit and there is only one dealer.

I believe it is per dealer as they said I should try another dealer if I wanted another colour and from the number of cars available on her chart (she got it by fax as we discussed the colours) it looked like only that particular dealer.

There were only four 2.0 EL available for Uttaradit dealer and no black ones.

I also liked the black but as I said my frst choice would have been the dark purple but I was afraid it would look 'too' purple and as they didn't have a sample bigger than a 1/4 size postcard I could not image the real thing. They had a 1.8 in light blue metallic and I fell for it especially thinking of the dark blue/grey leather seats matching.

I would try and inquire of the available colours BEFORE you start bargaining on conditions and prices. I thought I would have been able to have any colour by waiting but it seems not at least for the moment maybe because they are in high demand.

If they had not had a light blue on show I would have gone for the dark purple which will show without doubt that it is a 2.0