Serving Food To The Monk

khaan

A friend who is a Thai lady has invited a Monk to her noodle restaurant later this week before the Monk embarks on a two-month journey to Southern Thailand.

Because I have already met the Monk she has asked me to help actually give the food as she being a female is unable to do so.

I have told her that I would be happy to do this but as it is all very new to me and not wanting to do something which is frowned upon, I wondered if there are any important points I should remember when carrying out this role?

Edited by khaan

You can serve the food if you (and she) like but it's not necessary...she can serve the dishes to him herself...each dish (water, plates, the works) are offered individually by lifting them and letting the monk touch them (if served by a male)...if it's a female doing the serving each item is placed first on a cloth laying on the table (or floor)held by the monk...not necessary with a male...any questions more particular feel free to PM me...a monk...

Pramaprow is correct. As a male, you offer the individual plates or bowls of food to the monk, allowing him to touch them before you set the plate or bowl down on the table. You can also wai him after each serving or after all the servings have been set on the table, pretty much either way is acceptable. .. A monk also. :-)

sometimes a whole tray of dishes is offered at once by having the monk touch the tray, instead of each individual dish...this would also work by touching the table with both hands offering everything upon the table. Avoid ritual just for the sake of ritual by ensuring the motive is correct.