Learn Thai

jakcat1

There is quite a good book/2 cd set available from most book stores called Thai for Beginners by Benjawan Poomsan Becker it cost a few hundred baht.

The principle of book is that you learn to read Thai first because it is all phonetic so reading will help you with pronouciation. I must admit learning to read is difficult but it does work.

There is also a follow on book for intermediate level.

good luck

phuket mike

For the best overall Reading/Writing Thai Couirse it's hard to beat the books from AUA by J. Marvin Brown. Good fundamentals that will prepare you to pass the pratom 4 exam.

For speaking, the Foreign Service Instutite Course Books 1 & 2 with lots of tapes are excellent.

Good Luck

For the best overall Reading/Writing Thai Couirse it's hard to beat the books from AUA by J. Marvin Brown. Good fundamentals that will prepare you to pass the pratom 4 exam.

For speaking, the Foreign Service Instutite Course Books 1 & 2 with lots of tapes are excellent.

Good Luck

I think it's really funny that the books for AUA are so good when there program in BKK stinks so bad.

TLA has a good program if you are intrested in a real class. Slower than UTL but covers the important stuff.

Rosetta Stone has a CD you can get at Pantip Not the best one I have seen but it works. you have to use your mind not just sit and listen.

So what are the best Thai language schools in Bangkok and Chiang Mai?

Opinions from people who have actually studied at a school and progressed from beginner to a higher level. Also, those who were thoroughly dissatisfied with their school.

There seem to be so many different strong opinions about this on the web.

Particular schools I am interested in: AUA, Thonglor, Somchart. AUA seems to be the most controversial because of their watch and don't talk method for the beginning stages.

I found Linguaphone quite good. www.linguaphone.com, very pricy, though. Forget about AUA, tried their "discovery/silent method, and believe me it's not the teachers it's the method.... it will literally take you years! I know coz I tried it. Their writing course ain't that bad, though, but you gotta speak Thai in order for you to be admitted. I for one, would love some info on the Tonglor school. I think you should look at www.bangkokmouth.com some staff on studying Thai that can be useful....

Good luck.