British National To Marry Thai, In Thailand

mja1906

I am a female British National wanting to marry a Thai national, in Thailand

I know that a legalised marriage in Thailand is recognised in the UK

However I am wondering how my marriage to a foreign national, in a foreign country, affects my legal status in the UK,

Also does it have any current impact on any assets I have there (I currently jointly own a house with my sister)

I know that for the future, I have looked at all possible scenarios to protect my assets, and have investigated the pre-nups and wills

So I've got these two covered, is there anything else I should be concerned about? would just like to cover all eventualities and not miss a trick

Also, do I need to declare the fact that I am married to any UK government authorities such as UK Inland Revenue? or ????

I'm not sure what you are asking, as you appear to have answered yourself!

A marriage which is legal in the country where it took place is also legal in the UK, this has been the case since 1899.

Therefore if you contract a legal marriage in Thailand then you are legally married in the UK with all the legal rights and responsibilities this entails.

Note that prenups are not legally enforceable in a UK divorce court, though the court may take any such agreement into account when dividing assets etc.

Note that for a marriage to be legal in Thailand it must be registered at an ampur; the ceremonial marriage on it's own is not a legal marriage and so not recognised as such in the UK.

Remember that to register your marriage at an ampur you will need an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry; see Guidance for British nationals wishing to marry in Thailand.

With all your questions and worries about a marriage in Thailand, I just wonder. Why do you want to legally marry him? To a Thai, the Buddhist ceremony is what counts, not the formal paper change at the amphur, so why does he want a formal wedding? Or does he?

There are many reasons why they may want a legal marriage as well as a ceremonial one.

The obvious ones are to do with UK immigration for him and Thai immigration for her.

At the end of the day, it is their choice.