Cunning Plan

I'm English guy looking for a cunning plan, whereby I can enjoy the wonderful fresh air of Thailand on the Andaman coast, and the cheap cost of living, but still maintain some kind of income from Hong Kong, and avoid any bureaucratic hassle.

Could someone savvy please let me know if it is possible to:

- just live in Thailand, e.g. Phuket, on almost infinite Tourist visa extensions, e.g. by leaving and coming back to Hong Kong every three months?

- rent a flat, and have all the utilities, especially Broadband Internet?

- buy a car!?!

- maintain a Hong Kong income by having some kind of business in Hong Kong, and Internet work, such as on-line proofreading and editing for HK / overseas clients?

- have this income paid into a Hong Kong account?

- just withdraw money from the Hong Kong account for living expenses via ATM?

Or is there an even better plan that involves not leaving every three months?

I guess from the authorities' viewpoint, I'm probably just a tourist and not in a class for any Thai employment or tax issues - am I right/wrong!?!

Thanks in advance for any help!

J

agreed with above, your not stealing a Thai's job and are bringing hard currency into the country to spend, cant see a problem with it myself. Although Hong Kong Thai Consulate arent very helpful and dont like to give out Tourist Visa's much.

Edited by Ben@H3-Digital

agreed with above, your not stealing a Thai's job and are bringing hard currency into the country to spend, cant see a problem with it myself.  Although Hong Kong Thai Consulate arent very helpful and dont like to give out Tourist Visa's much.

Would they refuse to give a 2-month Tourist Visa? I thought this would just be a normal given right...

Been there several times and only once out of the three times did we get a Tourist Visa, They follow the rules by the book, which I think means only 1 or 2 Tourist Visas and then back to your country for 6 months till you apply again.

Better to go to KL, Penang etc... although HK should be fine for your first Tourist Visa.

Been there several times and only once out of the three times did we get a Tourist Visa, They follow the rules by the book, which I think means only 1 or 2 Tourist Visas and then back to your country for 6 months till you apply again.

Better to go to KL, Penang etc... although HK should be fine for your first Tourist Visa.

I am a Hong Kong resident - not permanent, but have a Hong Kong ID card, and would like to keep my official residency in Hong Kong ... these are just 'extended holidays'

Or is there an even better plan that involves not leaving every three months?

You could always get married to a Thai girl................bit drastic i know. :D

Car...........no problem

Utilities..........normally when you rent the utilities stay in the name of the landlord sure you could talk to them about a broadband connection if its going to be a long term rental.

Regarding work as alreadys been said, mums the word. :o

Not sure how that would work the, maybe get the first Tourist visa in HK, Second in KL or Penang and then try at HK again for the 3rd.  Thats assuming that you have to return to HK every X Months to keep up the residency.

So is it the norm to only be granted maybe one or two tourist visas and then you can't come back to Thailand for six months? Seems a bit excessive - and it would put all my plans out, especially the idea of long-term rental. Are there not people who get by like this, or does everyone end up going for the one-year multiple-entry non resident visa?

Or is there a better way?

Your problem is that you do not qualify for any long term stay visa in your present circumstances.

You might be ok going down to Penang for back to back double or even treble entry tourist visas on the other hand who knows when they will tighten up the issuing of such visas.............visas are always issued at the discretion of the issuing officer.

Problem is if you keep getting back to back visas there may come a point where the Consulate will think you are not a legitimate tourist...........but no one can say when that point will be reached.

- maintain a Hong Kong income by having some kind of business in Hong Kong, and Internet work, such as on-line proofreading and editing for HK / overseas clients?

Please let me in on your secret! I could do with a second income from an internet based job. Whats out there, whats available for someone living in Koh Samui?

CuriousPete.......

Your  problem  is  that  you  do  not  qualify  for  any  long  term  stay  visa  in  your  present  circumstances.

You  might  be  ok  going  down  to  Penang  for  back  to  back  double  or  even  treble  entry  tourist  visas  on  the  other  hand  who  knows  when  they  will  tighten  up  the  issuing  of  such  visas.............visas  are  always  issued  at  the  discretion  of  the  issuing  officer.

Problem  is  if  you  keep  getting  back  to  back  visas  there  may  come  a  point  where  the  Consulate  will  think  you  are  not  a  legitimate  tourist...........but  no  one  can  say  when  that  point  will  be  reached.

This is true. I'm not retired, not looking to invest, not looking to work, not looking to study, marry or anything. I'm just looking to breathe fresh air, run on the beach and swim with tropical fish...

So, for those in the know, I'd really appreciate all your suggestions on how to make this dream a reality.

J

Your  problem  is  that  you  do  not  qualify  for  any  long  term  stay  visa  in  your  present  circumstances.

You  might  be  ok  going  down  to  Penang  for  back  to  back  double  or  even  treble  entry  tourist  visas  on  the  other  hand  who  knows  when  they  will  tighten  up  the  issuing  of  such  visas.............visas  are  always  issued  at  the  discretion  of  the  issuing  officer.

Problem  is  if  you  keep  getting  back  to  back  visas  there  may  come  a  point  where  the  Consulate  will  think  you  are  not  a  legitimate  tourist...........but  no  one  can  say  when  that  point  will  be  reached.

It seems to me that this plan might work for quite some time, with these caveats:

Periodic trips back to Hong Kong

Open a Thai bank account (if possible) and wire money in from Hong Kong and maintain a healthy balance in Thailand

Wouldn't the above help if Penang raises objections?

Personally, I wouldn't assume such a plan would work for several years, but for a few years or so, it seems to me a fair bet. (One persons opinion of course!)

Sounds like you've got your head screwed on tight, just keep quiet about your business. :o

No problem to open a savings a/c and internet banking if you go to bkk bank or Kasikorn near the Emporium dept store at Phrom Phong, all you need is your passport and abt 500bt for an intl atm card.

Chok Dee. :D

You can do monthly visa runs to Burma or Malaysia. As has been previously mentioned there is no knowing when Thai immigration will start cracking down on people who make endless visa runs but at the moment lots of people do it. Some have been doing it for years with no problem.

There are no short cuts im afraid,

The only way to stay in thailand if you have no real purpose here is to do what everyone else does, go on a little 3 hour bus trip to cambodia and cross the border every month from bangkok. which costs between 1000-2000 baht

Thailand are very switched on at taking every foriegners money, and not giving you many option as a tourist.

Other options, (but still not easy)

Marriage (extension 1 Year ) condition: you must have 400,000 baht in the bank to show you are a supporting husband and not living off your wife.

Business Company Visa (extension 1year) costs aprox 18,000 baht to register a thai company name including 6,000 baht to pay for the visa for 1 year.

Daniel Lew

www.thailand-search.com