Foreigners Marrying In Thailand ?

luudee

No proble to get marreid in Thailand. Both will need to get a freedom to marry letter from their embassy. The embassy decide which docuemnts they need to see to issue this letter. Once you have the letter it needs to be translated into Thai and then it has to be legalized at the Thai Foreign office, consular section. When that is done for both, you can go together to an amphur to get married. It is advisable to go to an amphur in a tourist place, as there they will have dealt with this situation before.

While at the embassy, inform about registering the wedding in your own country or how to legalize the wedding certificate for use in your home country.

IMO have a registry marriage to make it legal in your own country and have the ceremony here. Far too many hoops to jump through to have a legal wedding here. I have got married here ( to a Thai ) and it was a big hassle, even having a Thai speaker- it'd have been horrendeous without one.

I've been legally married twice, and neither time was the registry office part of it any hassle at all, just get some documents certified translated, long as you know the routine no big deal.

The Bang Rak office on Thanon Sap near Surawong/Silom is used to dealing with foreigners.

No proble to get marreid in Thailand. Both will need to get a freedom to marry letter from their embassy.

Hi Mario,

I have been married and divorced now in Thailand. When I married I provided the Embassy attestation letter etc.

Now that I am divorced in Thailand............do I still need another Embassy letter if I remarry again within Thailand?

OP been there and done that, what made my marriage difficult and complicated was the Chinese factor not the Thailand factor. She had to get "permission" from her local provincial office back home and we both had to go there to meet and be evaluated to get their blessing, a bit strange and unsettling to say the least. Here locally there was no problem once the proper papers were in order.

No proble to get marreid in Thailand. Both will need to get a freedom to marry letter from their embassy.

Hi Mario,

I have been married and divorced now in Thailand. When I married I provided the Embassy attestation letter etc.

Now that I am divorced in Thailand............do I still need another Embassy letter if I remarry again within Thailand?

If my memory serves my right, I believe you indeed need a new embassy letter. All foreigners need this letter and the rules don't say anything about your case, just that as a foreigner you need the letter (and the officail divorce certifcicate you got from the amphur).

IMO have a registry marriage to make it legal in your own country and have the ceremony here. Far too many hoops to jump through to have a legal wedding here. I have got married here ( to a Thai ) and it was a big hassle, even having a Thai speaker- it'd have been horrendeous without one.

I've been legally married twice, and neither time was the registry office part of it any hassle at all, just get some documents certified translated, long as you know the routine no big deal.

The Bang Rak office on Thanon Sap near Surawong/Silom is used to dealing with foreigners.

It was a hassle for me as I don't live in Bkk, but have to go there for embassy letter, and again for translation etc.