Big Bikes

INTJ

Hi,

I've been browsing the Thai motorcycle classifieds at

www.mocyc.com

and there seem to be some bargains. Many of the cheaper bikes are sold with "invoice", in other words, no registration. From a bit of digging around on the net it seems that registration can run to around 70,000 baht.

I wonder why this is so expensive. Does anyone have any idea, or experience ? I have also been warned to be wary of bikes using "re-cycled" books. How does one go about re-cycling a book :o

From the Thai text in the adverts, it would appear that the bikes fall into 3 categories :-

1) Invoice only, no reg.

2) "Tabien Ter" - genuine registration

3) "Tabien Prom" - copy registration

so I wonder if a copy reg is one that has been re-cycled ?

A while ago I sold a 400cc bike to a dealr who shall remain nameless, later I saw the bike minus plates in the workshop. When I asked what happened he went bright red and changed the subject.

Cheers,

INTJ.

In might be my own honorable or whatever opinion, but I wouldn't buy a bike here in Thaialnd without the rego. It can be a stolen bike shipped in from Japan or wherever and even if you can get rego for it, is it transferable to other provinces? IF not, then stay well away from the bike. There are also instances where the original owner died without signing a transfer paper and that can present other problems. Be very careful when buying ANY big bike in Thailand. Make sure ALL numbers match, EVEN when presented a GREEN book as the numbers can be different or there are bogis copies of them also. Get the owner to go to the rego office with you to make sure EVERYTHING is LEGAL first.

For your information 99% of all the Spurbikes 250-1000 cc are all stolen from Japan. Even the ones at the showrooms that have already a license plate are all the same. Depending on the brand you end up paying 60-100,000 baht for registration. The most expensive would be the Ducati and Harleys.

If you buy a bike with just the book, it will take you that much money to get a license plate + 2-3 month to wait.

Some people buy cheap crapy bikes at 30,000 baht just to take the license plate and re-register it to the new bike. Making sure the crapy bike and the other bike are the same brand....doens't matter defference in CC.

If you bring a motorcycle (assembled) in Thailand you pay 60% tax + registration not over 10,000 baht. Only Ducati (Thailand), BMW (Thailand) do it the right way. If you bring a bike in pcs (disassembled), and pay tax as parts, then build it up, its the same story as the stolen bikes.

If you do buy a big bike at any main shops like Red Baron, Taz....etc which they already have the license, nothing to worry about!!!

If you want to more do let me know!!! [email protected]

Hi Emilio,

I have seen it mentioned before that most of the big bikes are stolen from Japan. This probably applies to the sportier cars (EVO, Impreza, Skyline etc.)

Do you have any idea why the registration is so expensive ? Is it because the authorities know the bikes are stolen, and demand "under the table" payments ? Also, how easy is it to use the book from an old bike ? I presume that you would need contacts at the Land Transport Office.

What happens if you are stopped by the police riding an unregistered bike ? I read somewhere that most of the bigger bikes in Chiang Mai are unregistered, and the police turn a blind eye. (I don't live in Chiang Mai BTW).

Regards,

INTJ.

Its expensive beacuse it goes in their pockets!!!! All shops can get the registration done..they have their ways...but it takes months!!!!

If the police stops you without registration, at least make sure you have the invoice. Just pay them 100-200 baht! I used to drive my Ducati without registration. But most of the times was at late night...and avoiding those police road blocks. Police harly stop big bikers!!!! But if you want to buy a bike, buy it registered already!!!!

INTJ, don't forget to check the older ads on motorcy.com as I got a 400 Transalp just before the ad was due to be deleted.

I phoned the guy up just on the off chance that he still had it, and sure enough he did. I got the bike for 50k and compared to other Tranalps that I had seen in shops that were older and had more mileage, I got a real bargain. Others were going for about 190 - 200k.

The reason the guy was selling the bike was that he didn't take into account the cost of maintenance. When replacing a rear tyre was going to cost him half his monthly wages he soon learned that it wasn't such a good idea getting a big bike after all. :o

When looking for used bikes, set aside about 10k on top of the asking price for immediate replacement parts like tyres, brake pads, chain and sprockets etc.

Good luck with your hunting.

For your information 99% of all the Spurbikes 250-1000 cc are all stolen from Japan.  Even the ones at the showrooms that have already a license plate are all the same.  Depending on the brand you end up paying 60-100,000 baht for registration.  The most expensive would be the Ducati and Harleys.

If you buy a bike with just the book, it will take you that much money to get a license plate + 2-3 month to wait.

Some people buy cheap crapy bikes at 30,000 baht just to take the license plate and re-register it to the new bike.  Making sure the crapy bike and the other bike are the same brand....doens't matter defference in CC.

If you bring a motorcycle  (assembled) in Thailand you pay 60% tax + registration not over 10,000 baht.  Only Ducati (Thailand), BMW (Thailand) do it the right way.  If you bring a bike in pcs (disassembled), and pay tax as parts, then build it up, its the same story as the stolen bikes.

If you do buy a big bike at any main shops like Red Baron, Taz....etc which they already have the license, nothing to worry about!!!

If you want to more do let me know!!!  [email protected]

Where do you come up with a figure of 99%? I know from first hand exp. that this would likely be the reverse if you're talking HD's.

A few years ago this was different but it's been cleaned up.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting stuff. I just saw a very nice bmw f650 dakar that was cheap but had plates from a honda wave on it! It also has all the instruction stickers on it in Japanese so no doubt about how this bike came into Thailand.

It's owned by a police chief in a neighbouring province and have been told it is no problem to rego it properly but would that mean a copied rego? Or would I be able to use it without problems?

I'd love to get it but I guess I should pay the extra and get a legit one.

Any ideas on where to look??

After 2 or so years riding with out a book or plate I got the dealer to get me a green book and plate. 65,000bht but when I got home and looked at the book it was Originally ment to be for a 750 and is down as registered in rayong and mines a 1100 and I live in nongbaulamphu. The book has been corrected to suit my bike and has stamps and sign where every correction was made is this a legal book. And as I am looking at trading it in on a another bike is this going to cause a problem

Edited by Rigger

It is about 25k to change the engine number in the book and 25k maybe a little less for the chassis number and it takes three months plus.

It honestly doesn't matter if the bike is stolen from Japan as this is Thailand. You get a good bike you get a good bike.

Don't listen to all the scaremongering.

Now where is Peaceblondie to talk about spare parts????

Different problem. Yeah, I've only got a 150, but no problem with registration, never stopped for a rego check except at the Burmese border, which was no problem.

And where would a mraitchison post be without a gripe about Peaceblondie to talk about spare parts, or ask why I'm not recommending a 150 to somebody who wants a big bike (and I didn't recommend a 150 then, either)?

I'm just waiting for a Thai-assembled, mass-produced 250 sportbike with 30 horsepower.

I bought a Honda Blackbird from that site, the guy was genuine enough and it came with all the correct papers to enable me to get a brand new registration book

mostly went ok except a supposed honorable (phucking robbing bastid) big bike dealer in pattaya is trying to rip me off, see other thread, don't go to a dealer for your plate without speaking to an independant person that knows the ropes

• 1 year later...
For your information 99% of all the Spurbikes 250-1000 cc are all stolen from Japan. Even the ones at the showrooms that have already a license plate are all the same. Depending on the brand you end up paying 60-100,000 baht for registration. The most expensive would be the Ducati and Harleys.

Some people buy cheap crapy bikes at 30,000 baht just to take the license plate and re-register it to the new bike. Making sure the crapy bike and the other bike are the same brand....doens't matter defference in CC.

If you bring a motorcycle (assembled) in Thailand you pay 60% tax + registration not over 10,000 baht. Only Ducati (Thailand), BMW (Thailand) do it the right way. If you bring a bike in pcs (disassembled), and pay tax as parts, then build it up, its the same story as the stolen bikes.

If you want to more do let me know!!! [email protected]

I have a Honda CX500 turbo,imported from Japan.I have a full set of invoice papers...copies from the dealer in Japan...Thai importer and previous owners.

To say that all imported bikes from Japan are stolen,i feel is simply wrong.

I have checked as best i can whether my bike was legally Exported from Japan (1996) through a contact in Australia who imports bikes from japan and the Japanese consulate in Sydney...result.....bike was not reported stolen from the country of origin.

My reason for the check....i want to send the bike to Australia and i need to be able to supply proof of ownership.

what proof do you have to support your allegations?

I have a Honda CX500 turbo,imported from Japan.I have a full set of invoice papers...copies from the dealer in Japan...Thai importer and previous owners.

To say that all imported bikes from Japan are stolen,i feel is simply wrong.

I have checked as best i can whether my bike was legally Exported from Japan (1996) through a contact in Australia who imports bikes from japan and the Japanese consulate in Sydney...result.....bike was not reported stolen from the country of origin.

My reason for the check....i want to send the bike to Australia and i need to be able to supply proof of ownership.

what proof do you have to support your allegations?

Probably none what so ever !!

From experience, and from my paid employees who work for the Land Transport Office in Bangkok, at least 90% are stolen. The Japanese had a high profile case a few years back where a distraught owner found his Harley in a Bangkok shop, they sent Japanese news crews and the owner appeared on TV quite unperturbed about the prospect. At that time, they found that every Harley in his shop was listed stolen from Japan. No surprise that actually, working through a specific importer at a specific pricing point would by nature insure they were all stolen units. So the Japanese law enforcement came over on the behest of the Japanese insurance industry and put on a big show, visiting shops and making some noise. Thai police called the shop owners in advance and magically only one or two junk bikes were found with bad numbers and those returned to Japan. Everyone went to Ratchadapisek afterwards happy with a full days work.

Earlier this year I thought there was a concerted effort in 2005-2007 to dry up the stolen bikes until I really got into the prices of the wholesale market. My paid sources inside the Land Transport confirmed it this year, they are mostly stolen from Japan. Having bought a few Japanese bikes for export, I have researched a little bit on how to insure the bike you buy in Thailand is not stolen. Best I can tell, the only real way to know is to travel to Japan, stop by any police station and have them plug in the numbers. They will do that for a walk in but I have found no way to do it remotely by phone or embassy. I did not look too hard, someone might have more knowledge here.

I would guess if you had the Japanese invoice that would be a strong indication that the bike was obtained legally. As with every piece of paper in Thailand, you might want to actually check that its real. Forgery here is not an art, its an industry.

FYI, the registration process includes a pollution check (30,000 baht), exise tax (varies) and bribes. It never includes a stolen vehicle check or original MSO.

Was the license not related to the cylinder displacement, like 40k Baht for 400cc and 65k for 650cc (at least this would be confirm my experiences)

Second, if you want to register a bike, you need complete sets of import papers, a simple invoice would not be enough... There was a time that you could calculate 20k for any papers you not had, but the under the table money transfers are reduced to a little more then nothing.

Please not forget that, bad luck strikes and you get involved in a accident and your bike is ready for the scrap yard and you need serious medical attention, lets say break your back or something similar... who is going to pay?

Not say the insurance company of the second party who caused the accident, they will send investigators and find that your bike was not road legal so should never be involved in this accident. For small stuff, most insurance companies will just pay-up as they not aware of the not road legal issue.

Other scenario, you go to Hua Hin bike week and drive around on your impressive Yamaha R1, you play a bit with the gas and clutch, and then you clutch cable breaks and you jump on a brand new Harley Nightstar and for some freaking coincident you bend twist the frame so that it cannot be lined again. A new frame for a Harley Nightstar is in Thailand almost equal to buying a new bike. As the whole bike needs to be re-registered and the paper work can take months. Altogether bonus if you lucky can be as little as 500k, surely a wealthy farang who didn't need to register his bike has this amounts of cash laying around. O I forget, you probably also need a few 1000 bills for the stay out of jail ticket.

I bought a Kawasaki Boss last year and did 14,000 trouble free Kms on it. It cost 75,000 Baht New. Plus 5,000 for a lock up box (Fitted), Crash Bars (Factory), Windscreen and brighter headlight bulb. Rego was about 100 Baht I think, it was so cheap I don't remember. The Boss is 175 cc Chopper style single banger that carried the two of us around central and northern Thailand at 1 Baht per Kilometre cruising at between 100-120 Kmph. I had to replace the chain twice. They are weak but cheap and quick to replace. I guess the 175 Kgs of me and my gf take it out on the chain!

The reason I bought Made in Thailand are obviuos to me.

1. Low rego.

2. No body wants to steal it! No need for insurance.

3. You can get service if you need it anywhere, including Burma where I got the chain adjusted for free!

4. I got 50,000 Baht for it from the dealer I bought it from when I left Thailand for 6 months.

5. The bike came with a free first service, 1yr warranty, prompt minor servicing, like chain and oil changes.

I will buy another new bike in Thailand in the new year. This time I will buy a Honda Phantom for the extra 25cc. Price? If you buy a Blue one, nobody wants one I think, 80,000 Bhat, 85,000 Baht for Black, Red and Grey/Silver paint. I will put a windscreen, crash bar, and lockable panier so all up should be about 85,000 Baht.

Where? Any reputable dealer in Bangkok. My dealer was near the Bobae clothing markets next to the Election Commission Building.

I hope they raise the cc limit and perhaps a twin 250cc would be great. Import bike? Forget it. Big engined bike? Forget.

Oh and one thing more. Get your gf, house keeper what ever you call her to buy it. The whole deal is over in 20 mins.

Motorcycle Licence? I have a International licence, but have never had to show it. 200 Baht normally works for the police charity fund.

My two bahts worth.

Same as targaman, I bought the domestically produced, mass produced, mass serviced bike, mine being a Honda CBR150. I p;aid cash money, got it registered in my name (with one year B visa), and the purchase price included discount, cheap jacket, cheaper helmet, one year insurance, 100 km checkup, and registration. I didn't even need to get a girlfriend to register it in her name. Totally legal, and after 3.2 years, I got a Thai license. There's no reason to pay a 'tip' to a cop, unless they care to stop me for going 49 kph over the speed limit, which they never have.

Hi,

www.mocyc.com

and there seem to be some bargains. Many of the cheaper bikes are sold with "invoice", in other words, no registration. From a bit of digging around on the net it seems that registration can run to around 70,000 baht.

I wonder why this is so expensive. Does anyone have any idea, or experience ? I have also been warned to be wary of bikes using "re-cycled" books. How does one go about re-cycling a book :o

From the Thai text in the adverts, it would appear that the bikes fall into 3 categories :-

1) Invoice only, no reg.

A while ago I sold a 400cc bike to a dealr who shall remain nameless, later I saw the bike minus plates in the workshop. When I asked what happened he went bright red and changed the subject.

Cheers,

INTJ.

In 18 years of owning and riding bikes all over thailand i have only had one that is registered,my current bike ( of about 15 bikes ) and thats only because i ride it to cambodia and it needs to be registered, the bike has a re cycled book as you say, never had a problem and that includes 10 border crossings inc cambodia/malaysia/laos ,.i rode off road bikes on the road to enduros all over and again never had a problem ( no plates ) i hear all these stories about problems but myself and about 400 other enduro riders i have ridden with arent aware of them,. i was stopped for doing 160 once near ubon on a 750 super tenere, when he saw i was a farang he just waved me on, that bike also had no plate, when out of bkk etc you will see a lot of thais with no plates too,..strange, but true

From experience, and from my paid employees who work for the Land Transport Office in Bangkok, at least 90% are stolen. The Japanese had a high profile case a few years back where a distraught owner found his Harley in a Bangkok shop, they sent Japanese news crews and the owner appeared on TV quite unperturbed about the prospect. At that time, they found that every Harley in his shop was listed stolen from Japan. No surprise that actually, working through a specific importer at a specific pricing point would by nature insure they were all stolen units. So the Japanese law enforcement came over on the behest of the Japanese insurance industry and put on a big show, visiting shops and making some noise. Thai police called the shop owners in advance and magically only one or two junk bikes were found with bad numbers and those returned to Japan. Everyone went to Ratchadapisek afterwards happy with a full days work.

Earlier this year I thought there was a concerted effort in 2005-2007 to dry up the stolen bikes until I really got into the prices of the wholesale market. My paid sources inside the Land Transport confirmed it this year, they are mostly stolen from Japan. Having bought a few Japanese bikes for export, I have researched a little bit on how to insure the bike you buy in Thailand is not stolen. Best I can tell, the only real way to know is to travel to Japan, stop by any police station and have them plug in the numbers. They will do that for a walk in but I have found no way to do it remotely by phone or embassy. I did not look too hard, someone might have more knowledge here.

I would guess if you had the Japanese invoice that would be a strong indication that the bike was obtained legally. As with every piece of paper in Thailand, you might want to actually check that its real. Forgery here is not an art, its an industry.

FYI, the registration process includes a pollution check (30,000 baht), exise tax (varies) and bribes. It never includes a stolen vehicle check or original MSO.

Good to hear that you are the boss of the Land Transport Office and that your paid employees are fully aware that 90% of rice rockets are stolen.

I think every foreigner I have come across in Thailand has "contacts" or is well in with the " BIB " or has a father-in-law who knows someone who knows someone who knows the ice-cream man whose daughter has a friend who works in the office of the Police Commandant of ALL Thailand. :o ( as a cleaner )

Edited by stevemiddie

Good to hear that you are the boss of the Land Transport Office and that your paid employees are fully aware that 90% of rice rockets are stolen.

I think every foreigner I have come across in Thailand has "contacts" or is well in with the " BIB " or has a father-in-law who knows someone who knows someone who knows the ice-cream man whose daughter has a friend who works in the office of the Police Commandant of ALL Thailand. :o ( as a cleaner )

Why do some people seem to think its the done thing to socialise ( supposedly ) or mix with these sort of people, again ive been here for years and never needed to call on a bent copper for help, !,..so much bul shit around its beginning to smell. jeez

Hi,

www.mocyc.com

1) Invoice only, no reg.

Cheers,

INTJ.

when in rome !

I bought a Kawasaki Boss last year and did 14,000 trouble free Kms on it. It cost 75,000 Baht New. Plus 5,000 for a lock up box (Fitted), Crash Bars (Factory), Windscreen and brighter headlight bulb. Rego was about 100 Baht I think, it was so cheap I don't remember. The Boss is 175 cc Chopper style single banger that carried the two of us around central and northern Thailand at 1 Baht per Kilometre cruising at between 100-120 Kmph. I had to replace the chain twice. They are weak but cheap and quick to replace. I guess the 175 Kgs of me and my gf take it out on the chain!

1. Low rego.

3. You can get service if you need it anywhere, including Burma where I got the chain adjusted for free!

4. I got 50,000 Baht for it from the dealer I bought it from when I left Thailand for 6 months.

5. The bike came with a free first service, 1yr warranty, prompt minor servicing, like chain and oil changes.

I will buy another new bike in Thailand in the new year. This time I will buy a Honda Phantom for the extra 25cc. Price? If you buy a Blue one, nobody wants one I think, 80,000 Bhat, 85,000 Baht for Black, Red and Grey/Silver paint. I will put a windscreen, crash bar, and lockable panier so all up should be about 85,000 Baht.

Where? Any reputable dealer in Bangkok. My dealer was near the Bobae clothing markets next to the Election Commission Building.

I hope they raise the cc limit and perhaps a twin 250cc would be great. Import bike? Forget it. Big engined bike? Forget.

Oh and one thing more. Get your gf, house keeper what ever you call her to buy it. The whole deal is over in 20 mins.

Motorcycle Licence? I have a International licence, but have never had to show it. 200 Baht normally works for the police charity fund.

My two bahts worth.

Well from my experience for what its worth, buy the Thai. Boss or Phantom, I have been down the import path, there always seems to be a problem, wrong name on the book etc. Buy a phantom I did its great fun and suits the Thai way of driveing !!!!! Hey whats this in the outside lane with one headlight :o:D

1. Low rego.

My two bahts worth.

Well from my experience for what its worth, buy the Thai. Boss or Phantom, I have been down the import path, there always seems to be a problem, wrong name on the book etc. Buy a phantom I did its great fun and suits the Thai way of driveing !!!!! Hey whats this in the outside lane with one headlight :o:D

+1

Excellent advice. I been there and done that too; never again. I wouldn't take a big bike now if you gave it to me. The cheating repair shops and lack of parts availability were the last straws. Get a Phantom! It's all you need. I'm SO happy and relieved I got mine.