Aikido In Pattaya

raro

ok, this thread is about Aikido in Pattaya. I don't want to discuss whether you can rather beat the pulp out of someone by practising Kung <deleted>, Krav Manga (sp?) or Mikado...this thread's only purpose is.......are you interested in Aikido?

I spoke to the Castra Gym in Soi Khao Noi, they have a suitable room and are willing to host it. Their regular membership fees apply - 1,000 Baht per month or 5,000 per year. Or quarterly, whatever...in addition we need mats, no idea how much they are but someone has to cough up the money and wants to be reimbursed.

We do not have any really qualified Sensei in Pattaya right now, so me (3rd Kyu and a bit out of shape...) and another advanced level Aikikei would try our best to go through basic routines, easier stuff until we found someone of a higher level to teach higher level techniques. The main purpose here is FUN and and nothing else.

Absolute beginners who want to have an idea what Aikido is are most welcome!

post-6036-0-90258400-1325321579_thumb.jp

post-6036-0-24238500-1325321572_thumb.jp

post-6036-0-72238800-1325321484_thumb.jp

Admittedly I just had to read the wiki description to get an understanding of Aikido, I'd heard of it, but wasn't sure on the principles & philospophy. It seems to be an excellent set of skills to learn. Would you say that you have to have a reasonable level of fitness to start with to partake?

I live nearby the Castra gym and thinking of joining (so far with emphasis on the thinking part) to lose weight and get fit.... so I reckon I wouldn't mind giving something like this a go. Good luck!

that's a pretty good start!

Some more info on Aikido:

It is a defensive martial art, the techniques are not really designed for an attack but rather to react to an attack and use the energy of the opponent against him. Aikido does not require much physical strength or force, all techniques should actually be applied without using force. Still, you would need some overall fitness as in stamina. Most techniques make the attacker end up on the floor, so you fall down, get up again, fall down....for a mere hour. Still, martial arts like boxing, Taek Won Do etc. need more fitness than Aikido.

As not much physical power is needed, this sport is also very good for the ladies! Here is a youtube clip from our old dojo, a demonstration we did a couple of years ago at the Jester's Fair. Te girl in the clip was at that time 11 years old (I think it was...) and the attacker is her father who used to be our trainer.

Aikido can also be very technical, many techniques derive from Samurai sword fighting so an integral part of the training is sword techniques. This does not require any physical fitness but rather a lot of concentration.The movements are very minute and precise and expect to be corrected all of the time :D

Here is an example:

I see you have an interest in Aikido. I have trained and taught Aikido for many years, but have not been active since I moved to Pattaya. PM me if you want to discuss further.

PM sent a couple of days ago, but haven't heard back from you...

Christina is doing it backwards. But funny, in that bathing suit, I found that I had to watch a second time, just to be sure!

Tamaris is very good. I love her tenkan, well worth emulating.

I watched it now five times, still not sure....will do a rerun right now....giggle.gif

Very good vids Raro thank you! I have a Katana but have never been able to get the movements correct, but since having seen the vid I bought a pink bikini and that has helped greatly, the only problem I have now is getting the blade out of the sheath without slicing my fingernails. ph34r.png

I see you have an interest in Aikido. I have trained and taught Aikido for many years, but have not been active since I moved to Pattaya. PM me if you want to discuss further.

Maybe you could PM Snufu with the yellow hummer.I heard he's a master in almost everything. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Maybe you could PM Snufu with the yellow hummer.I heard he's a master in almost everything. biggrin.png

hmmm...Aikido is more of a modest, low-profile thing.....cool.png

• 3 months later...

Just to let you know, there is a new dojo at duck square. Classes every Sunday at 6:30 (you may want to come a bit earlier for warm up). Classes last 1.5 to 2 hours and cost 150 Baht. The proceeds go entirely into purchasing mats, room rent and equipment.

Great and inspiring teacher with lots of experience. Whoever is interested, just show up! For questions, ask them here or send me a pm B)

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Just to let you know, there is a new dojo at duck square. Classes every Sunday at 6:30 (you may want to come a bit earlier for warm up). Classes last 1.5 to 2 hours and cost 150 Baht. The proceeds go entirely into purchasing mats, room rent and equipment.

Great and inspiring teacher with lots of experience. Whoever is interested, just show up! For questions, ask them here or send me a pm cool.png

do you care to post where or what a duck square is please?

or is that asking too much?

and will get the old search for yourself reply typical of these forums

for a community service

whoever is running this has not been very forth coming about the details

even via email (from other forum)

hope that is not an indication of the quality and care of the meetings

just my 25 satang worth

Great and inspiring teacher with lots of experience. Whoever is interested, just show up! For questions, ask them here or send me a pm cool.png

for a community service

just my 25 satang worth

Duck Square is on South Rd. at the side of Big C.

for a community service

just my 25 satang worth

thanks

have you been going?

can you say anything about what the meetings are like?

how many have been showing up?

how would this be for a complete beginner or would they be completely lost?

thanks again

most importantly how does one find duck square

guess i WILL do a search

apologies for the mini rant

bad mood sometimes

Edited by deejah

for a community service

just my 25 satang worth

thanks

have you been going?

can you say anything about what the meetings are like?

how many have been showing up?

how would this be for a complete beginner or would they be completely lost?

thanks again

most importantly how does one find duck square

guess i WILL do a search

apologies for the mini rant

bad mood sometimes

Here is Duck Square, calm down Deejah!! http://g.co/maps/zun22

the mimi rant was prior

last post WAS calm

thanks for your post

BTW

i just saw steven seagal

preforming his akido master magic

i must say very very impressive stuff

he has a cop TV show on the CI channel around 87 on the newest sophon line up

Did you see Steven Seagull doing Aikido or did you see one of his action movies? The latter have some Aikido elements but I would not call that Aikido.

As for Duck Square, well...I presumed it is one of the locations in town known to the general public, must have been mistaken.

Did you see Steven Seagull doing Aikido or did you see one of his action movies? The latter have some Aikido elements but I would not call that Aikido.

As for Duck Square, well...I presumed it is one of the locations in town known to the general public, must have been mistaken.

it is HIM preforming akido

his is obviously a MASTER

point number two

you know what they say about 'assume'

three- if anyone has some time, patience, and good spirit

please answer my questions above as to what the meetings are like

unless they have already been addressed

and you can point me in that direction

thanks in advance

Edited by deejah

I did presume, not assume cool.png

we have beginners and advanced students in our class, all of them below black belt level. The teacher is really good and has a lot of attention to details. Best is come over tomorrow and try it out. First class is free.

for the record

i do not watch

steven segal movies

maybe i am missing something

btw

duck center must be THE NUMBER ONE HOT SPOT

i have been missing out on

what is going on there besides akido on sundays

that all of pattaya knows about besides me? tongue.png

Edited by deejah

• 5 weeks later...

This topic is a bit dated, but I am interested in an answer to the following question:

What is the best way to deal with the "typical" Thai side-leg-sweeping kick? To the face, middle body, or legs.........what to do: enter and strike, move to the side, move back and keep distance........?

I am puzzled about the side-sweeping Thai boxer style kick. It is so ingrained in Thai culture, that I am certain that is probably the first thing you will see if you get into a fight with a Thai.

If you have a video of the Aikido response to this attack, please direct me to it.......thanks.

hmmm...Aikido is more of a modest, low-profile thing.....cool.png

Snafu is modest and low key since he nearly got busted that other time