The Best Neighborhood For Living In Bkk.

AzarovDmitriy

My family and me are going to move to BKK for a one or two years.

I have a son (8 years old) and a daughter (4 years old).

I spent a lot of time on the Internet but didn't find a neighborhood which will be the best place for living.

Yeah, I understand that it depends on the money in my pocket but maybe you can give me an advice where would you like to live in BKK?

With best regards

Dmitriy.

There are no real neighborhoods per se but districts and locations. Do you want to be around other foreigners of your ilk? Do you want a house or condo? From what I have experienced here everyone seems kind of insular...sometimes the other foreigners living near you like to chat but I don't see any real sense of community like I do back home (USA).

I would check near areas of easy transportation such as the newer BTS to Bearing line or near some of the MRT stations. Most of the "neighborhoods" in the shape of houses and nice streets are outside of the city a little bit. That being said, some of the condos have attempted to kind of gentrify their areas.

I live in Thong Lo and it is a nice, quiet soi.

There are no real neighborhoods per se but districts and locations. Do you want to be around other foreigners of your ilk? Do you want a house or condo? From what I have experienced here everyone seems kind of insular...sometimes the other foreigners living near you like to chat but I don't see any real sense of community like I do back home (USA).

I would check near areas of easy transportation such as the newer BTS to Bearing line or near some of the MRT stations. Most of the "neighborhoods" in the shape of houses and nice streets are outside of the city a little bit. That being said, some of the condos have attempted to kind of gentrify their areas.

I live in Thong Lo and it is a nice, quiet soi.

I agree, considering the current state of the traffic in Bangkok, a "good neighborhood" is somewhere easily accessible by BTS or MRT. Otherwise, anytime you'll want to do something out of your home, you'll spend hours in traffic jam.

There are not really "bad neighborhoods" in Bangkok in my opinion, especially regarding security. It's a pretty safe place, so the rest is a matter of what your priorities are: accessibility, calm, price,...

I stayed at Soi Rangnam when I first came here. I find the place extremely convinient! Lots of local colored restaurants and pubs, a small shopping center, BTS just minutes away by foot.

Look for a place called PT Court. Highly recommend it!

The contiguous areas along the BTS Skytrain stops: Phaya Thai, Victory Monument and Ari are pretty inviting though not generally inexpensive. Lots of condos and apartments for rent as well as some houses, particularly around Ari. The area has decent shopping options, many restaurants of all types, coffee shops and entertainment all close bye. Friends with kids have found some decent schools and day care facilities. There are a fair number of public parks.

With the opening of the new Rail Link, the airport is now pretty convenient to the area.

Another neighborhood I like a lot is the "Town in Town" area near Lat Prao and Huay Kwang on the MRT subway line.

Though kind of hidden away, it is a very "Artsy" neighborhood with many film and music studios, dance studios and art galleries; many situated in any one of the many interesting cafes that dot the area. Many of the townhouses that line the streets have been re-habbed in interesting ways; definitely an "upscale" feel. Not particularly convenient to the central business district but a cool place to live.

Edited by dddave

I think the Ratchada area could be real nice for you. They have everything you need shopping the Esplanade Tesco Lotus Fortune Town New Central World Plaza and also Big C. Subway access and 4 new condo projects. Huay Kwang night market you name it. Reasonable rents too. Good luck with your move.

I'd look at upper Sukhumvit or Bangna area. That's where most of international schools are.

Skytrain runs straight thru and shopping etc as good if not better than in downtown.

Forget condo's unless you must live downtown or afford the penthouse. 20 to 30K per month will get you very nice new 3 bed townhouse in good location whereas in condos you are looking at new 60 sqm 2 bed places.

Just my 2 cents.

Listed below are areas near BTS that are popular and worth a look.

Thong Lor & Ekamai area. Trendy/upscale area.

Sukhumvit Soi 25 to Soi 49. Expat area.

Sukhumvit Soi 4 to Soi 23. Tourist/Bar/Expat zone.

LangSuan/Chitlom area. Expensive. Higher end shops/restaurants. Close to Lumpini Park.

Silom/Sathorn. Business district. Fairly quiet in the evenings.