Visa Extension On Ready-To-Expired Passport

in Mar my next VISA extension and in Apr I return to my home country for renewing my 10-years passport.

Thai imigration said as a normal process they will issue a 1 year extension on the existing passport ( expire in Sep ). they said I need to apply a new extension on the new passport. I have no big problem with it.

some how-to questions here :

1) do I need a single Re-entry permit ?

2) when I land in Suvarnabhumi, my 'old' passport with all the stamps will be voided ( punched ); what status I have - a tourist with 30 days ?

3) how soon I need to go to immigration ?

4) what process I should start - VISA extension again ?

perhaps this is a repeating topic. thanks for any advice !

cheers

EDIT : mine is a marriage VISA.

Edited by ETatBKK

1. Get a re-entry permit in your current passport before you leave Thailand.
  2. When returning to Thailand, carry both the old and the new passport with you. On the arrival card, enter the re-entry permit number in the space for the visa number. The immigration officer, or one of his colleagues, will make some entries in your new passport with reference to your old passport number, your original non-immigrant visa, your latest extension of stay, and perhaps a few other things, and put the arrival stamp in your new passport.
  3. If the transfer of information from the old to the new passport is not done on your arrival at the airport, go to your local immigration office as soon as possible.
  4. There should be no need to start the extension process afresh.

This transfer of data from old to new passport is standard procedure for immigration. Mostly, long-stay foreigners get the new passport in Thailand but the process should be exactly the same for a new passport obtained outside Thailand.

The last two times my passport was getting near end of life and I applied for my yearly extension I was only granted permission to stay up to the expiry date of the passport .

On returning to immigration with new passport (didn't leave the country) they transferred the details and extended the permission to stay to the original full year. No extra charge.

Should make sure permission to stay is extended on re entry else as Maestro says a visit to your local immigration is required.

Yes the old passport will already be void for travel. You will be traveling on the new passport and carrying the old one to provide info to UK check in, if asked about Thailand entry visa, and to Thai immigration that you have a valid visa.

As already pointed out pretty common occurrence.

As said above the procedure has been to issue extension to validity of passport - you then take both to immigration when you get the new one to transfer and receive the remaining time. If only to expiration of current passport it will require visit to immigration after return to get the full term of the extension into the new passport. If there procedure has indeed changed perhaps on entry process will be all that is required but I would make sure to check dates when getting extension/re-entry and new entry to be sure all is in order.

thanks all for good info. seems I need to carry two passport anyway. at the point of entry, just be careful on all the transfer of information, re-entry permit number, date of extension of stay . . .

be sure nothing goes wrong, plan a visit to the immigration office. not a problem.

a side question : what else I need to change / update when I back with a new passport ?

- work permit

- the address blue book

- bank book ? :-(

- else . . .

I would not worry about bank book but you can expect them to go into panic mode next passbook change when they copy passport and find the number different - seems they can not get it into there mind that passport numbers change - unlike personal ID card numbers most customers have.