Should I Switch From Non Imm B To O?

given that i've been here for 6 years, have children born here and i intend to stay here (eventually looking for PR), would it make more sense for me to switch from a non b visa to non o?

in particular, the only reason i haven't qualified or applied for PR is the 3 consecutive one year extensions. ignoring how ignorant that particular requirement is, it seems that the non O would be a better choice because then in the unfortunate event that my job status changes, i wouldn't be forced to leave immediately and seek out a new visa and my quest for three consecutive extensions would continue.

what am i missing?

well i have years worth of totally legit jobs and tax returns. unless i'm mistaken, i believe i can have a work permit while on a non O.

of course i'd like to think i'd stay employed at the same place for the next three years but i am more concerned about having spent the last six years here without even beginning to qualify for the PR. i have to leave for penang in the next few days, that's why this question popped up.

if i was on a non O visa and my job status changes, would the same rules applying to non B visa holders with a one year extension apply? in other words wouldi i be forced to leave and obtain a new visa or due to non O status, would my one year extension remain intact?

If on an O you stay as you are married, but then qualifying for the extension might be a sticking point, unless you have the money in the bank.

Some labour offices will not let you have a WP if on an "Non Imm O".

I had a similar problem, no work permit but paid taxes and got tax rebates, but without the work permit no chance of PR, now just waiting for the 3 years to kick in again

Edited by beano2274

Here's my take on it. You need a B visa to get the work permit, but if your annual extensions of stay are based upon supporting your wife, not for your job, then you do not need to leave the country if you lose your job provided you have evidence you can continue to support your wife, such as 400k in the bank. (Phew!!)

It could have changed though. My B was issued more than 20 years ago and it is extended annually based on supporting my family, but instead of money in the bank, I am now using income from my job as the basis for extension. I assume you are married.

thanks for the replies. while my visa is expiring, i already do have a work permit that is good for another ten months. i also have a friend here who is on a non 0 with a work permit, this is what got me thinking about it. not married, for the record.

If you continue with your job and your Non-B, if you loose your job you can apply for a 60 day extension because of your Thai family and during that time, either find another job and apply for another extension based on employment or apply for an extension based on marriage. As long as you are working, I see no benefit to changing from employment extension to marriage. It actually would require more paperwork by both you and immigration.

Edited by wayned

If you continue with your job and your Non-B, if you loose your job you can apply for a 60 day extension because of your Thai family and during that time, either find another job and apply for another extension based on employment or apply for an extension based on marriage. As long as you are working, I see no benefit to changing from employment extension to marriage. It actually would require more paperwork by both you and immigration.

ah, had forgotten about extensions based on family. was actually just speaking with my friend here who is working on a non O and he says while it wasn't a problem to get a WP with his non O, if he wanted to continue working after the visa and WP expire, he would need then to switch to non B.

in that case it appears as though there really isn't any benefit in my particular case to switching. thanks all for the replies.

I have been advised that it actually takes less paper work. My original 2 or 3 extensions were based on money in the bank - I was not working - and when I got a job the people who took over responsibility for handling renewals etc. said that I should continue renewing based on marriage. Probably for their own benefit rather than mine, but it made sense at the time.

The OP has since mentioned that he is not married, so I have no idea. Can he get extensions based upon supporting his children and then use his salary to support his annual extensions?

He can get an extension based on his family even though he is not married. The same requirements apply as extending for marriage, but he must go through the process of "leagalizing" him as the father of his children. Just because his name is on the birth certificate it doesn't make him the legal father.

If you qualify with money in the bank or 'salary' not related to working in Thailand, you can apply and get visa extensions without mentioning work/work permit.

Work permits didn't use to be a problem for Non O extensions based on marriage.

For information on how to legitimize a child look here:

http://www.thaivisa....ts-as-a-father/

thanks for that link, very informative. i really had no idea what is considered legitimate, i just nodded my head and signed papers when they were born. just asked my gf to show me all of the documents, incl those from the amphur, and my name is already written in thai on them and they state that i am, in fact, the father of my children.

Thatw a sprobsbly just for the birth certificate, not for a legitimization of the children. (although stranger things have been known to happen in Thailand).

when stranger things stop happening here, i'm going to reconsider my domicile