Truemove H 3G , Cat, AIS, TOT all computer related for Samui.

OK, on Samui I do live a bit 'far from the maddening crowd' (Plai Laem)

So - I tried out a replacement for the very reliable CAT CDMA.

True takes between 5 and 15 attempts to connect. (CAT first time every time.)

The speed that I get with True is

Test against: Bangkok

Last Result:

Download Speed: 2335 kbps (291.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 648 kbps (81 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 115 ms

07 January 2012 21:01:31

Hmm impressive (not). It drops out often and is pretty much a waste of money.

Does anyone have a better result with this service provider on Samui?

hi,

i tried it behind tesco near the swedish village, i bought this for a customer waiting his adsl line, my speedtest was the same as yours regarding download speed but upload was same as download +-2.5 megabit/sec.

the connection was established at the first try and the signal was maximum.

I have a TrueMove H iSim in my iPhone, and these are the speeds I'm getting in Lamai:

Last Result:

Download Speed: 6280 kbps (785.0 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 2286 kbps (285.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 150 ms

31 December 2011 15:35:28

Last Result:

Download Speed: 6545 kbps (818.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 2918 kbps (364.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 174 ms

01 January 2012 18:19:58

Pretty happy with those speeds! They're much better than I am getting with my Wi-Fi at home; indeed, even better than I was getting with Telstra NextG in Australia...

Hi,

how much did you have to spend for the usb dongle?

Not 100% sure - paid a load of bills at the same time. less than 2,500 baht from memory.

However - today, signal 100% - cannot connect 100%. No <deleted> connection all day. Now using a friend's DTAC.

Glad that some of you have a good connection, but for new buyers - watch the coverage in your area.

It's a waste of space for me.

I have a TrueMove H iSim in my iPhone, and these are the speeds I'm getting in Lamai:

Last Result:

Last Result:

Pretty happy with those speeds! They're much better than I am getting with my Wi-Fi at home; indeed, even better than I was getting with Telstra NextG in Australia...

Lucky Buuger - I'd be happy with half that. Move to Lamai?

Last Result:

Last Result:

Nah, nothing but beer bars and traffic rebels here... ph34r.png

Last Result:

Last Result:

Nah, nothing but beer bars and traffic rebels here... ph34r.png

Lamai can rest easy. I do not have to move.

Today on the laptop (no connection at all yesterday)

Last Result:

Download Speed: 3526 kbps (440.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 1300 kbps (162.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 112 ms

09 January 2012 08:18:01

Happy Bunny now wai.gif

Where can I buy that True dongle? Can I buy it for just three months?

Truemove stalls in Tesco Lotus Chewang, or at the UBC shop opposite the Chewang Post Office on the ring road.

Yes to 3 months - that is the minimum

Thank you for your info!

How much does it cost? Is it free limit?

Where can I buy that True dongle? Can I buy it for just three months?

Truemove stalls in Tesco Lotus Chewang, or at the UBC shop opposite the Chewang Post Office on the ring road.

Yes to 3 months - that is the minimum

Thank you for your info!

How much does it cost? Is it free limit?

Unlimited use - 750 baht per month.

Glad that some of you have a good connection, but for new buyers - watch the coverage in your area.

Anyone using TrueMove 3G in Maenam area around Soi 4/5? I'm looking for an alternative / back up to 3BB which is down quite frequently.

Staff at True say coverage everywhere apart from the interior of the island but from this thread it doesn't appear to be the case.

Is CAT-CDMA a better choice in Maenam?

Appreciate any info.

Fyi true move stand in chaweng crossing street plazza (new market at night but not everyday). They offer half price on dongle and monthly fee fir 4 months. I bandwidth and speed as good as i ser it is nice. I d prefer mifi router but seems to "no have". As it is simcard (and not with CAT) maybe i can buy one?

Can someone compare these bw and ping with CAT?

Also the True guy from this market will call me today. If some are interested maybe i can put you through?

First want to point out

1. my information was from the dtac shop in big C

2. The staff there even showed actual 3G by turning on mobile internet on iphone and an actual 3G came up above, to make sure this wasn't anything funny I physical saw wifi was not turned on

3. After turning it on, I did use safari app on the iphone to try internet connection and it worked quite well in terms of speed and loading regarding websites, you can notice improvement vs if you were using dtac edge

That being said I should point out

a. They did inform that as of right now its being tested throughout samui

b. 3G internet prices will start at 800 - 900 baht ( I will recheck but it is not unlimited internet speed its only good to a maximum of 1GB, 2GB data cap, then speed goes back down to edge aka very slow internet.

I do know we all have had tons of disappointments, stories not being true or waiting many years. Will see next month whether or not DTAC was telling the truth or not.

look forward to your comments and postings on this.

i was driving onto the ferry in donsak last week when i got a phone call. looking at my phone i had to blink and refocus because i had 3G showing. as soon as i had parked and gone upstairs i sat down to play with it before the boat left. sure enough, i had dtac 3G in donsak. can't wait for it to be here.

This one is for Rooo

It would seem that most of us on TV are keen to have 'the best' internet service. We have a number of threads on it. Whilst they all have different titles, mostly it is requests for updated info on the various providers, or people informing us of the latest 'sales-speak'.

We have this thread

http://www.thaivisa....-here-on-samui/

http://www.thaivisa....cat-vs-true-3g/

http://www.thaivisa....s-in-koh-samui/

http://www.thaivisa....-phone-service/

To name just a few before we move to AIS, TOT, 3BB.

Is there a case to be made for combining them all or even a pinned thread on 'somewhere to go for the latest on the availability/speed/cost of internet access on Samui'?

Just a thought. Up to you sir.

Anyone using TrueMove 3G in Maenam area around Soi 4/5? I'm looking for an alternative / back up to 3BB which is down quite frequently.

Staff at True say coverage everywhere apart from the interior of the island but from this thread it doesn't appear to be the case.

Is CAT-CDMA a better choice in Maenam?

Appreciate any info.

I would say no...to True Move 3 g

But CAT dongle OK !!! I am same area as you! rarely down time... I would say 99% up... and adiquate speed, for most things except perhaps downloading movies etc.

In the picture and looking at the top of the sign it says CAT and True Move, I guess they finally got a deal going?

I took this picture at Big C today (also have same sign and booth at Tesco,) showing I believe the orange areas covered by 3 g... so far.....

so Maenam "no have!"... YET! ohmy.png or many other areas, surprised there is an area around Thaling Gnam that shows it has ... why would that be???? or is that the secret ... errmmm base??? unsure.png

post-85461-0-01652400-1327158662_thumb.j

Actually, that image shows almost all of Samui covered, except for that base up in the mountains. The larger, no coverage, area is actually Surat Thani.

Opps! rolleyes.gif

well guess you are correct... now I look at the picture again, just assumed it was Samui, but see now, not! blink.png duh!!! on me!!!

Time will tell, but good if correct.... it's been a long wait for 3 g.... huh.png

OK I just had to run down to JIB computer shop...for something else, (It's opposite Makro BTW)

I checked if they are still selling CAT dongles, and NO they are not any longer! (because of the merger between True and CAT I guess...?)

They have a variety of different brands of dongles ranging in price from about 1300 baht to 3000 baht or so... depends on speed you want...

One of the sales guys there said the Dlink ones were good... I assume you just put in a Sim card??? I don't know enough about all this high tech stuff.... and did not want to delve into things above my head! blink.png I'm confused enough already biggrin.png.....

I just hope my CAT dongle never wears out!.... nice pussy! ... wink.pngemot-kiss.gif

samuijimmy, thanks for your feedback...

Do you know if they have MiFi equipements?

In your case, you say you have an usb dongle. So you have internet on only ONE computer, not on another, not on your smartphone?

That's why I'd prefer a MiFi solution, to broadcast signal through wifi to all my equipements.

samuijimmy, thanks for your feedback...

Do you know if they have MiFi equipements?

In your case, you say you have an usb dongle. So you have internet on only ONE computer, not on another, not on your smartphone?

That's why I'd prefer a MiFi solution, to broadcast signal through wifi to all my equipements.

Thanks smile.png

I really did not look, or notice.... but take a hike on your bike, down there and talk to them... the taller guy with glasses in there, moved in when the girl could not answer my initial question... Usually the manager pretty good in there too, but must have had day off or out to lunch, when I was there.

I am not a techno wiz, computers drive me crazy.gif sometimes!!!!

I get my neighbour over to sort things, he's got my 2 Macs and one PC all working together for me, from one dongle... I think through my Time machine? (not Dlink any more) ..... as long as it werks I don't care! smile.png

There you go, something to do tomorrow! let us know how you make out .... !..... whistling.gif

Ok, thanks, I will go (while going to Mae Nam new year party? :P) and ask. Hope the right guy will be there.

BTW if you can ask your neighbour how he has ONE dongle and 3 computers on the internet... it would be nice (We have 2 Mac 2 iPhone 1 Time Capsule).

Thanks !

A few years ago, I had a D-Link Wi-Fi router that had a USB port for a 3G USB dongle - it worked pretty well.

I looked into doing that, but seems to me we could not do... (perhaps with the Dlink thingy I had.... ) My neighbour quite good expert on these things... seems to me we looked around to try and do...

I believe the newer Time Machine are enabled to do this... so to it may depend on Time Machine model... I am not sure, I just let him set it up.... it works, I don't touch it cos I know it will break! wacko.png

The advantage of a dongle is that you can take it different places, when traveling .... that is useful, some times I go where there is no wi fi ! (within Thailand anyways).

Just a note: Dongle won't work on Ipad, when plugged in, says it takes too much power.... no idea about Iphone, surely that would be a different sim card ? (for khman's benefit)

Edited by samuijimmy