Manchester (Man) To Chiang Mai (Cnx) Direct

autan

Theres talk in the wind, that Thai Airways are negotiating a route that will take them from Manchester (UK) to Chiang Mai (Thailand) to Perth (Austrailia). The route dubbed "Expat 1" will be a more expensive than the current LHW > BKK > SYD route but will be the first airline to offer Manchester to Chiang Mai direct.

Apparently negotiations over slots at Manchester seem to be causing a problem as Thai Airways have no slots at Manchester as of yet.

Heres waiting and hoping in vain most likely.

• Like 1

I think the A380 may change things in the future to LHR and may allow TG to open more destinations in the UK if they go with one flight a day to LHR, but would they ever give up such a valuable slot at LHR I doubt it. Chiang Mai non stop doesn't make sense for a spoke and hub carrier - MAN - BKK makes much more sense-thrice weekly perhaps.

Chiang Mai is ripe for being developed into a hub airport, however I think the through route should be from Man-Cm -China ( Beijing or Shangai ), the Chinese are the biggest growth market.

I have also seen doubts that the A380 could land at CM, but I am no expert on that subject.

Edited by theblether

Chiang Mai is ripe for being developed into a hub airport, however I think the through route should be from Man-Cm -China ( Beijing or Shangai ), the Chinese are the biggest growth market.

I have also seen doubts that the A380 could land at CM, but I am no expert on that subject.

The A380 has alrready landed at CNX a couple of years ago on a test flight from BKK

• 3 weeks later...

The general rule of thumb is this. If you can land a 747 on a runway, then you can definitely land a A380 runway, the extended flap range at 10 degrees allows more lift and drag.

In English. A A380 needs less runway that a 747-800.

Talking of runways has anyone seen the length of the runway at Chiang Rai. Stick wings on the end of my arms and I will run the 10 miles down it flapping and I would take off. It musnt be active because the green lights arnt on and people are drivng over it. Scrub that last comment, they play golf next to Bangkok Don Muang.

I have often wondered and thought maybe a Thai visa reader might know the answer,

There must be hundreds of people in Chiang Mai who go MAN-BKK and return each year. If there were enough to fill say an A330 what would be the cost to hire one?