Investing The Money

radiola

I wonder what you people do with your money, do you keep it in your bank account, do you invest it?

I just got a note from my bank that the interest is around 2% p.a. for my money, but inflation is 4% in Austria p,a, so in fact I am loosing money every year, what to do?

SHould i go wild and buy few nirun condos?

what to do?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diversify. Stocks, bonds, real estate, CD's. But it depends how much money you're talking about, how old you are, your source of income, etc. As with anything in life, the higher the risk, the higher the payoff. Of course, I'm not talking about a beer-bar in Pattaya.

buying condos is what everyone else is doing. the logic being.

interest rates = x

roi from rent = y

y > x therefore it is a good investment

this logic ignores

fluctuations in the value of the condo

as they say though, real estate prices never go down.

Edited by farang000999

interest rates = x

roi from rent = y

this logic ignores

Where do problem tenants fit into this? ie non-payers or slobs who treat your property so badly you have to spend a lot when you finally get rid.

I have had all of that and am of the opinion that it is not the "easy" money that many assume. Also, as you say, property prices dip as well as rise.

interest rates = x

roi from rent = y

this logic ignores

real estate prices never go down ?

have you checked the average price of a home in the uk or America ?

they are down to the price they were 8 years ago. most mortgages have negative equity.

got 4 percent last week from my thai bank. have to keep the money in for 5 months. when that lapses, i will close that account and move it to a similar one. no minimum requirement. wai.gif

That would be annual interest rate, -15% tax right?

Edited by Semper

The property market in Florida and Chicago appear to have lost about 45% in the last 5 years (or am I wrong)

Can't comment on elsewhere as not sure of the markets there, I assume similar losses in many of the western countries.

Get a Thai wife and you will have no money to worry about. Jim

Many a good Thai wife are quite decent financial managers, Jimmy.

Frugal and spendthrifts - regardless of the stereotypical reputation that preceeds them.

• Like 2

Frugal and spendthrifts - regardless of the stereotypical reputation that preceeds them.

Have to agree........................................................................

With THEIR money..........

Don't ask people on here what they do with their money as you will be told a pck of lies! Most people in Thailand farang places are ex special forces or multi millionaires with big pension so they can spend, spend, spend.

Do what you think is right but don't take advice from people in Thai or in bars.

It's a pretty stupid question to ask really as it's very personal with only the fake responding with their rags to riches stories.

Good luck

anyone who keeps money will i guarantee regret it Put it into anything tangible and real condos gold silver even stocks just dont keep it in money or you will loose it all. even if we dont get hyperinflation it will go over time. Diversify. we have our money in hard assets in 4 different countries Condos here ( giving average 8% yield but dont expect much if any capital appreciation) Property in UK Property in USA gold silver here and abroad Shares in USA UK SIngapore and Hong Kong. Were not rich a condo here only costs 1 million baht or so and shares can easily be bought for low cost in lots of 100,000 baht although to minimise broker fees best to do 250k baht a time decent places in UK for 200k us$ (1 is enough) in USA same and gold in bar form for 24,000 baht a baht. Dont keep any cash or very little. At least other assets wont go to zero (stocks can but hold several and good blue stock companies) cash can and has in history gone to zero worth

i always wondered how to buy well known company stocks like apple, google, microsoft, sirius......

what is the inflation in Thailand, I guess condo price will always grow??

I saw some price increase in local juice bar, for 7 bht, so that is why i panicked!!

The increase was 10%

isn't getting 4%

Another loser inb Thailand who can't seem to be honest.

In the UK you can get about 3.45% in an ISA but it'll locked for 3-5 years.

Siam Commercial bank 4 per cent apr but must leave the money for at least 5 months. no minimum deposit. who you calling a loser you ass. I am very honest also, dont get pissed off cause i didnt reply to you quick enough. fortunately i have a life and dont spend all my time on here. you richard. angry.png

For investing in condos- i recommend getting one/two good ones rather than several smaller cheaper ones. I have one thats managed by an agent on my behalf (so takes little of my time) , in a good location and great facilities so relatively easy to rent out. I get 8% return but even if you can only get 5% its still better than 99% of other investments out there these days and should be part of your portfolio- I dont worry about the price of the unit itself as i dont intend to sell- i bought it for a stream of cash revenue.

Gold is also a good place to put some cash into now- @10-15% of your portfolio i would recommend.

If you have cash, now is quite a good time to buy some blue chip Hk/Singapore/Thailand stocks- if you want a potentially lucrative gamble, buy TMB -any bank thats only valued at 2 baht per share has massive potential to increase in the medium term (5- 10 years plus). In US/EU buy shell oil stock- good dividends and good stable company.

May be I will re-phrase that, any wife. Mine and my 2 daughters, believe that shopping us the highest form of human endeavor. Who am I to complain, for the truth be known it's her money now and she supports me. I just don't need much, food and beer. Jim