Kawasaki D-Tracker 250

dagling

Have you tried it, and ended it with that you bought it?

I'm looking for a small and fun bike for small trips around here where I live. The Kawasaki D-Tracker has good reviews, apart from a not comfortable seat. But from what I understand so there should be after market seats or that you can rebuild the original seat? Anyone know anything more about this? Someone who has done something with their seat?

All tips on the bike is much appreciated, as I reckon that at the end of next week or the week after that it is buying a new bike.

2011-kawasaki-dtrackerX-640x480.jpg

Edited by dagling

MY D tracker was a love hate relationship. Fromt he factory it is slow and underpowered, Easily changed and when de restricted it take on a new life. The seat suck for rides over 100 km.

On long rides it sucked. Not enough power and poor seat

Aroudn town it ws fun but not good to get groceries

THe seat looks big but for two is really cramped.

After 1 year and less than 2000 km on mine I sold it, Though it was a fun bike, with many other bikes that did things better, I just did not use it. I used my CBR150 more. Easy to drive and easy to hang bags on the merrors. My PCX got the most km in the year

MY D tracker was a love hate relationship. Fromt he factory it is slow and underpowered, Easily changed and when de restricted it take on a new life. The seat suck for rides over 100 km.

On long rides it sucked. Not enough power and poor seat

Aroudn town it ws fun but not good to get groceries

THe seat looks big but for two is really cramped.

After 1 year and less than 2000 km on mine I sold it, Though it was a fun bike, with many other bikes that did things better, I just did not use it. I used my CBR150 more. Easy to drive and easy to hang bags on the merrors. My PCX got the most km in the year

Cheers mate... I have a PCX as well. Maybe I should take a look at Honda CBR250?

If you can wait 'till March, you could also look at the Honda CRF 250? It's more of a dual sport/off road than the D-Tracker, but worth a look.

I took a D-Tracker for a test ride and was impressed. The power seemed modest, but OK. I didn't ride it long enough to test the seat, but many owners say you need to modify the seat. My main concern was the tiny fuel tank.

I've got a D-Tracker & I love it. Most of my riding is done in town & on short rides up into the mountains. In both cases the D-Tracker is just about perfect for me (I enjoy riding but I'm not an aggressive rider). On longer trips the bike is not ideal (uncomfortably seat, limited power) but then it's not designed as a tourer. After 3 years I finally did something about the lousy seat: on a recent trip to the US I picked up the Sargent Cycles seat for the KLX/D-Tracker. It's a marked improvement on longer trips but still not quite what I'd call comfortable. All in all I recommend the D-Tracker if your riding habits are like mine, though if I was in the market I'd think about waiting til the new Honda CRF250 comes out later this year.

I've got a D-Tracker & I love it. Most of my riding is done in town & on short rides up into the mountains. In both cases the D-Tracker is just about perfect for me (I enjoy riding but I'm not an aggressive rider). On longer trips the bike is not ideal (uncomfortably seat, limited power) but then it's not designed as a tourer. After 3 years I finally did something about the lousy seat: on a recent trip to the US I picked up the Sargent Cycles seat for the KLX/D-Tracker. It's a marked improvement on longer trips but still not quite what I'd call comfortable. All in all I recommend the D-Tracker if your riding habits are like mine, though if I was in the market I'd think about waiting til the new Honda CRF250 comes out later this year.

What will be the biggest different between the D-Tracker 250 and the Honda CRF250 then?

What will be the biggest different between the D-Tracker 250 and the Honda CRF250 then?

The price....

The price....

Quality...

The price....

Price? How much diffrent?

The price....

No price yet for the CRF, just a lot of guessing (as usual). Some guesstimates at aroundt 100+ K. If it is lower price some quality has to suffer and it will probably be the suspension. But on papaer it looks like a good urban bike alternative, especially if the (as some rumours suggest) drop the CBR250 engine into it. We should know moe in MArch.

The price....

No one knows exact price yet but approximate 105,000-120,000 depending what individual dealers want to add on

I got a used 2008 model and used it for fun around Bangkok Racing Circuit.

I could scrape the footpegs on the stock tires.

Since I have a scooter, I only use the DTX for pleasure riding.

After buying a set of KLX wheels, it's a dirtbike now and I did 1600KMs through Laos with no problems.

2 of my friend's were never bothered by the stock seat over this 1600KM distance, but for me 1 hour on the stock seat was painful.

I have an Airhawk seatpad and brought it to a seat shop as a template for a new seat shape.

Seat jobs here are cheap so just do them until the seat is comfy for you, but maybe the seat won't bother you anyway.

Other than the original seat, engine rev restriction, and wind buffeting, I think its comfortable for long distance riding.

Mine was derestricted and I rode from Chiang Mai to BKK and was doing 110-130kmh and it felt very stable.

Only the lack of windscreen makes long fast rides annoying.

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

It's not a fast bike so if you want bigbike performance look elsewhere.

But it is very reliable and very capable of not only track riding but off roading.

If you're tall and think off roading might be in your future, just get a KLX250.

Here's mine having a nail in the tire replaced.

11laosday61.jpg

Edited by ttakata

Good bike if your not interested in speed. Has quite good suspension and brakes, and with mine 2 up can cruise all day at 103 km/h. Get about 30 km per liter this way even in the mountains, and this is on a derestricted bike with over 60,000 kms. My son weighs about the same as me now, 80 kg, and just before new years we really enjoyed the 1148, near Nan, on our heavily loaded small bike. I wind the rear up for the proper sag for the 2 of us, and the bike handles much better/safer this way. Actually taking good lines through the corners unlike the 4 rental 650's we rode behind well they straightened out every corner. These 4 farang with a bare minimum of gear taking dangerously straightened lines on a fantastic road such as the 1148 should have there Thailand privileges revoked.

No major issues besides wear items and perfectly normal issues, ie like a leaking seal around the shifting shaft which as I'm too hard with shifting has happened to my past enduro/MX bikes - at even less mileage. When the starting is hard when hot, that's a sign the valves need adjusting, every 20,000 km. I'm in for new wheel bearings, a full suspension and steering re-grease this month (plus tires, sprockets and chain) - which Kawasaki said I didn't need at 29K kms but got them to do anyways. Cheap too, like me.

IMG_0165.JPG

I've also been considering the Kawasaki 250 and then the the Honda was announced. I now need to decide if I want to wait to see what the Honda's like, or order the Kawasaki now.

One consideration is power - but there ssems to be a wide range of power figures for both bikes. I'm assuming the Honda will be close to the CBR250 for power, and that's quoted as 23.7 ps to 26.4 ps in various reviews.

For a (non de-restricted) Kawasaki I've seen 23 ps to 29 ps quoted (the higher figure for the old non FI version). Torque figures seem to be about the same for both bikes at 23-24 NM at 7,500 RPM.

Has anyone ridden both the CBR250 and the Kawasaki 250 in D-Tracker or KLX guise and can comment on relative power? I've heard that the Honda has more power than a non deresticted Kawsaki, but is it really significant as neither are exactly road burners?

I've also been considering the Kawasaki 250 and then the the Honda was announced. I now need to decide if I want to wait to see what the Honda's like, or order the Kawasaki now.

One consideration is power - but there ssems to be a wide range of power figures for both bikes. I'm assuming the Honda will be close to the CBR250 for power, and that's quoted as 23.7 ps to 26.4 ps in various reviews.

For a (non de-restricted) Kawasaki I've seen 23 ps to 29 ps quoted (the higher figure for the old non FI version). Torque figures seem to be about the same for both bikes at 23-24 NM at 7,500 RPM.

Has anyone ridden both the CBR250 and the Kawasaki 250 in D-Tracker or KLX guise and can comment on relative power? I've heard that the Honda has more power than a non deresticted Kawsaki, but is it really significant as neither are exactly road burners?

Twice ridden a CBR 250 the same 32 kms to a friends house and rode the opposite way on a D Tracker. Life under 100 mph is just fine. cowboy.gif

The Kawasaki has a bit more torque up to 6000 or so rpm, but the CBR hits 130 kph easier. The CBR works less at 110 plus, with a higher top speed. Big dips in the pavement that are harsh on the CBR at 130 are gentle with the DT at 120. ABS on the CBR is pretty impressive for a budget bike, truly the way of the future for all bikes.

I bet the CBR will have more stock power than the Kawis based on me racing both bikes around BRC but the suspension on the CBR250 was absolute junk.

Both the Ninja250 and my DTX250 have far superior suspension over the CBR250.

The new CRF250 might cut corners on the suspension just like the CBR250.

Go test ride both and try to run over as many curbs and potholes on your test rides as possible because testing DS bikes on smooth pavement won't tell you much of their off road worthyness.

Not the best input, but last month my friend had an old rental CRF250 in Laos and we swapped bikes off road.

My DTX250 felt like a plush 1980's Cadillac compared to the harshly suspended CRF.

I swapped back to my Kawi in less than a kilometer.

Thanks ttakata and fishenough ...

A D-Tracker with ABS (and a comfortable seat) would be the perfect Bangkok bike in my view. My Nouvo 135 is OK, but a proper bike, even a low capacity one, feels better to me than a scooter..

And the D-Tracker looks good, especially with the pimpy blue rims.

Thanks ttakata and fishenough ...

A D-Tracker with ABS (and a comfortable seat) would be the perfect Bangkok bike in my view. My Nouvo 135 is OK, but a proper bike, even a low capacity one, feels better to me than a scooter..

And the D-Tracker looks good, especially with the pimpy blue rims.

A D-Tracker with ABS, that'd keep the monkeys happy.

IMG_0211.JPG

Does the 2012 DTX250 have ABS?

I've not heard of that, or was that just wishful thinking?

FYI, there's some used DTX250 stuff in the classifieds here, very old post but up to date.

Just wishful thinking ... no, it does not have ABS. I've been riding forever, but still don't trust myself to not grab a handful of front brake in a panic.

• 3 months later...

hey folks, i'm looking at buying one of these very soon, i already have a ksr which has been modded with all the usuals, exhaust, bars, LED indicators, tail tidy and have jacked the rear up a little to make it higher for me but its still just too small and my gf tends to use it more than me i just tend to jump in the car if going anywhere, so looking to buy a d-tracker when i'm back accross, currently back in UK just now,, anyways a few questions,, modding is a must for me just the simple things to make the bike look better and go a little better.. bike will mainly be used for nipping around the village and into the city with the odd trip up the mountains so think the d-tracker would be perfect for this,

so how do i derestrict it?

where can i get a decent pipe?(slip on would be fine)

I'm on the outskirts of sakon nahkon and i know of a place in the city that sells the d-tracker, same place i bought my ksr and nearly all the parts for it but they dont really have many parts for the d-tracker, they could probably get parts but i dont like to wait,, i would rather go buy the bike and all the parts i want in one hit, i think the nearest kawasaki dealer as such is in udon thani so may taker a trip through there first and have a nosey...

any help or info appreciated

thanks..

Edited by Rudeboy

^ there are two ways to derestrict it, one is a simple snip on one of the cables on the front fork which removes the rev limit in gears 3 and up. After that the DTX will go like a normal 250 should go. Much better than stock.

And there are aftermarket ECUs which soup up the bike some more. Never had one of these but some forum members do, you will also need a new pipe...

^ there are two ways to derestrict it, one is a simple snip on one of the cables on the front fork which removes the rev limit in gears 3 and up. After that the DTX will go like a normal 250 should go. Much better than stock.

And there are aftermarket ECUs which soup up the bike some more. Never had one of these but some forum members do, you will also need a new pipe...

Hi nikster, cheers for that,, i already know about both methods problem being is i have searched the forum and cant find any clear instructions on how to do the wire mod, also any info on where to get a decent pipe or any other parts, tail tidy etc would be much appreciated..

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Last week I put down a deposit on a 2012 D-tracker 250 from Real MotoSports on Ramkhamhaeng Rd. I pick the bike up in the middle of June but in the mean time I have been doing some research on various forums & found some mods they seem to be necessary to get a little extra performance out of the bike.

I am having a little trouble when it comes to purchasing a muffler system. I know exactly what I want just a confused with one issue

I have found a FMF Q4 Slip-on muffler @ http://japan.webike....ts/9682130.html

This model above is the 042173M & is priced at US$680.00

After some more research I paid a visit directly to the FMF website & found the same exhaust but with a slightly different part number.

Direct from the FMF website

http://www.fmfracing...WASAKI_KLX250SF

The above part number is 042173 & is priced at US$359.00

With the 2nd being almost half the price I am definitely leaning towards purchasing from the FMF website. The only difference I can see is that the japan. webike model states that it comes a CO2 sensor adapter obviously because it is designed for the FI system on the D-Tracker.

If anyone can provide some advice on this matter it would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows of local dealers in BKK or other useful websites would be of great assistance.

Just a little further info I’m also going to purchase & install a FMF power bomb header, a API tech ECU & fit a new RK chain.

Thanks in advance

Edited by JINGJOH

Of course it will be more expensive if you order a Made in US exhaust from a company based in Japan. You'll effectively be paying shipping and duty TWICE.

Any roadside welder in Thailand can add a sensor bung to your aftermarket pipe for a few hundred baht.

Here's an example of the bung I had welded onto one of my Two Brow pipes:

TwoBrosSBendSSR.jpg

TwoBrosSBend1SSR.jpg

Ride on!

Tony bikeday_smilie.gif

Spend a bit more time on the www and source a leo vince or arrow exhaust from America sent by USPS priority mail and by someone willing to declare a lower value and tick the gift box so the import tax is as low as possible. These exhausts have the O2 sensor fitted and usually don't need repacking either. Your welcome.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Spend a bit more time on the www and source a leo vince or arrow exhaust from America sent by USPS priority mail and by someone willing to declare a lower value and tick the gift box so the import tax is as low as possible. These exhausts have the O2 sensor fitted and usually don't need repacking either. Your welcome.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Definitely- order from the US and even with shipping and tax you should come in well below Thai retail.

Pretty sure Arrow doesn't make an exhaust for the D-Tracker.

The FMF is a quality pipe. Nothing wrong with Leo Vince. Really just a matter of personal preference.