Learning The Culture Of Lao People

scorecard

In about one year the Thai engineering company I work for will send about 20 Thai engineers & senior operational experts to work on a project in Lao, the staff under the engineers and some senior management will be Lao nationals. The project will last for perhaps a decade.

The Thai company is quite serious about giving it's Thai staff some lessons, lectures, books, materials, etc., in Lao culture, and they will be expecting their Thai staff to respect and work within Lao culture as much as possible.

A quick internet search came up blank (but need to be honest, internet search is not my strength), seach of several book shops also came up blank.

Any suggestions on books, known website addreses, materials resources etc., would be greatly appreciated. Rather not receive any suggestive posts.

Thanks.

Dunno how your connections are, but companies such as ITD and Banpu send many of their staff up there for various projects. If you've got in's with them, perhaps giving their HR department a call and seeing what leads comes out of it might be an idea.

I have experience of working with Thais in Laos. Whatever training your Thai staff recieve will be a waste of time as the vast majority of Thais see themselves as far superior to Laotians, Cambodians and just about anyone else.bah.gif

Having said that, I also know a few Thais that have married Laotian girls and live over here permanantly.

It will also depend on the location of the project. Luang Prabang folk are much different to Pakse folk as regards culture, language etc although all will speak Thai at a reasonable level.

I believe all your efforts will be in vain to be perfectly honest. Nice thought though. cowboy.gif

Edited by lovelaos