Shipping Bike Parts By Post

mezcal

Hi guys

Thought I might get some help from you.

I will shortly have to send some bike parts, new and used, to Europe. I will use the post this time.

Do I have to put an invoice on the box for customs, or can I just send it without?

I don't want to risk it being confiscated or incur in a heavy fine, but at the same time I want to pay as little to the government as possible. happy.png

Do you have any advice for me?

thanks a lotjap.gif

it would depend on WHERE you are sending the parcel... you should not have to pay at this end.

But i imagine an invoice would be required. if you do not want them to open the box then put it on the outside in one of those sticky holders. As long as the weight is correct then the value 'could' be lower.

I've never included an invoice on parts i shipped out of thailand, just dont declare the value cheaper than the actual shipping cost, throws up a red flag. I've sent cylinder heads with complete valve trains to the UK, but assembled them first (finger tightened) to appear as used goods.

If your using paypal send EMS if your dealing with new people.Once they have your trust, regular airmail or SAL will save you a load of cash, but sometimes depending on weight EMS can be competitive.. Not much difference in shipping time between EMS and reg air.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not paying for the shipping costs, but they have to be as low as possible.

So, if I understand correctly: no invoice needed on box, but declared value not lower than shipping cost.

thank you

When you fill out the address label, it'll ask what the items are and value, don't be ambiguous about the items or else they will open it up to see whats really inside.

If you ship it with your name and not a company name you won't need an invoice. Declaring it as a personal item or gift works 'sometimes' if its a small package.

SAL via Thai post is cheapest, but you might want to look into air cargo from a major airline if the package is big enough. SAL is extremely varied in delivery time, sometimes it can be the same speed as reg air and other times over a month.

Edited by KRS1

Thanks for the advice. I'm not paying for the shipping costs, but they have to be as low as possible.

So, if I understand correctly: no invoice needed on box, but declared value not lower than shipping cost.

thank you

Varies a lot depending on what country you are shipping to. Don't try to ship to Germany without an invoice- package will be held by customs until you value of parts is confirmed which can take weeks. Italian customs can be a real biatch too. France and Belgium- use EMS as regular registered air mail has a nasty habit of disappearing and isn't trackable. Spain, surprisingly easy. UK, usually no problems. Etc etc.

Thanks BBBkk, you saved me there. It is Germany....

I don't have a company. Would it be Ok if I just put my name on the invoice or should it be my "company's" name?

I'm not sure how big or small your shipment is. If it's a large parcel you may want to check with a freight forwarder who can complete all the paperwork for you. If it's under 20Kg Thai Post or EMS is a viable choice. If you are marking the customs form as "Commercial Merchandise" then you should probably have a business name on the invoice. AFAIK you can most likely make this up as I doubt very much that German customs will check to see if you are actually a registered business or not. Just make sure parts are shown on an itemized invoice with value declared for every part. You can low-ball the declared value, within reason. Best of luck! Tony :)

• Like 1