Food Prices Reaching The Extreme

elektrified

Went to Rimping tonight to buy mayonnaise. We use a lot of mayonnaise in my house so I know the prices well as we buy it often. We only buy Best Foods Real mayonnaise. Everything else is inedible. I usually pay 98 Baht for a 440 ml (16 oz) bottle and 149 Baht for the 1 kg. bags when I can find them which is not often. If those aren't available I buy the 220 ml jars for 50-52 Baht. Prices are usually the same everywhere. Haven't seen any on the shelves at Rimping, Tesco, etc. for a few days now. Tonight I saw that Rimping had some 440 ml bottles in stock. But the price was not the usual 98 Baht. 260 Baht for a 440 ml bottle of mayonnaise!!! No 1 kg. bags or small bottles of course. I thought there had to be a mistake and asked the cashier. No mistake -- 260 Baht is the price.

What's that a 162% increase in price? That's crazy. At that price I'm dropping mayo from my diet!

I hate how they price gouge instead of keeping a steady supply. I guess making your own will be next on the list. Not that I use that much mayo maybe a jar a year but there is no way I am spending more than 200 baht on a jar.

Thanks for the heads up.

Accidentally picked up a jar of Miracle Whip instead of Real Mayo a while back; what a shock! yuk... but yeah, may as well go for Helmans if you're going to pay that price or just quit. Rimping have also been out of that tasty Walls choc ice cream for a month now, along with sprite, sherry and Scott bog roll .

Edited by jackr

I personally think Best food never make real mayo have you tried Kraft or Q P or something they taste alright and certainly not that expensive.

Tried them all including Kraft and the Thai brands. All of them are sweet and taste like that horrible stuff Thais put on their salads.

Haven't tried Yok. I've never seen Best Foods at Yok. The bags of Best Foods are incredibly difficult to find. Like a rare commodity! Sometime around Christmas I was in Rimping and saw an older farang man with about 10 of the 1 kg bags of Best Foods mayo in his cart. (All they had in stock). I guess he was on to something; like the upcoming shortage. He probably owned a restaurant.

I don't eat it every day by any means, and I know it's not healthy. But even the Thais in my house will only eat Best Foods for sandwiches. They still eat the sweet mayo sauce on their salads.

Really though, 260 Baht for a 16 oz. jar is indeed price gouging. After all, it's only eggs and oil and a few simple other locally available cheap ingredients.

As I recall, where I lived in Europe they had laws to prevent price gouging like this.

Edited by elektrified

Have you tried the Mollys White mayo they have in 1kg bags available in Rimping almost as good as Hellmans. And for sure better than most of the other so called mayo. Give it a try 95 B a bag

Edited by Joolz63

mayo.jpg

These are the mayo currently in my fridge and they are NOT sweet guaranteed, its Q P (Japanese) and Kraft. Kraft mayo is a bit whiter and I prefer the taste but they are both ok stuff. The sweet spread generally found in Thai sandwich are probably salad cream. I will check the price at Rimping today though.

Tried them all including Kraft and the Thai brands. All of them are sweet and taste like that horrible stuff Thais put on their salads.

As I recall, where I lived in Europe they had laws to prevent price gouging like this.

There is a Japanese brand of unsweetened mayo that is not expensive and tastes good to me. Maybe someone knows the name of the brand?

Kewpie

3491384571_74007c6579.jpg

They have 1/2 calorie and 1/4 calorie versions as well for the health conscious

There is a Japanese brand of unsweetened mayo that is not expensive and tastes good to me. Maybe someone knows the name of the brand?

Kewpie

This morning at Macro superhighway plenty of Best Food Real mayonaise 117 bath/kg.

Making your own mayo is very easy and tastes much better, but it won't last as long in the fridge. The fact that most jars and bags of mayo can last a year in the fridge should be the sign that there are too many preservatives in there.

Here's the basic recipe. I omit the sugar. If you put extra sugar in, you can replicate the stuff in the jars. Put even more in and you'll get what's in the bags.

Once you're done it's pretty easy to use the fresh mayo to make an aioli or a remoulade. Better yet, you never have to worry about "food prices reaching the extreme"!

• Like 2

I wonder if its related to the price hike/availability of eggs during and just after the flood. Eggs for my cafe went form 2.13 baht each (64 baht for 30 eggs) to 3.6 baht each (108 baht for 30 eggs) - same size and supplier, changed supplier but only saved myself 6 baht/30. Now they are back to 65 baht/30 again and much more supply. Oil was also off the shelves in a big way during the floods, whith Lotus and Big-C CM Hod having just one brand along the whole oil shelf (plus the overpriced imported oil of course) and Macros low on many oil brands too. So, that's mayo - oil n eggs.

Edited by wolf5370

Kewpie

This morning at Macro superhighway plenty of Best Food Real mayonaise 117 bath/kg.

Rimping Meechok tonight had more than 20 X 1 kg bags of Best Foods Real back in stock at the usual price of 129 I believe. Up above them was the same 15 or so bottles of 440 ml Best Foods Real at 260 Baht. I saw the girl re-stocking the mayo and asked her what's up with the prices of Best Foods Real. She said she didn't know but that at least 25 people had asked about the price of Best Foods mayo in the last couple of days! She also said that she does not expect the 20 or so 1 kg bags to last more than a couple of days. I grabbed 2. There were still about 18 left.

Very weird about the prices!

The mayonaise choices here are a bit thin. At the prices mentioned earlier, you are better off simply importing a case of Duke's.There must be a thriving black market for the stuff and you can even order it online now (no idea what shipping costs would be).

Edited by CPT

What's really going on in the homemade vs. store bought mayonnaise is a linguistic dispute: one word is used to mean 2 very different products. So comparing them in terms of quality makes about as much sense as comparing either to, say, hollandaise sauce.

Making Mayo is very easy, its just oil, egg and spices, then you can add tomato sauce (ketchup) 50/50 plus lemon juice to make seafood dressing

Maybe you could start your own brand, like Paul Newman.