Thai Passport/Id Surname Unchanged For Uk Married Thai...

I have searched but cannot find anything relevant yet to these 2 questions...

Q.1. Scenario: Thai national (F) marries UK national (M) in Uk via the Thai Fiance visa route. Subsequently she goes back to Thailand on a visit. Her Thai passport and National ID card will still be in her maiden name. Would this pose any problem for her at immigration upon her return to the UK? or does she need to have any document changes made whilst in Thailand before her return to UK?

Q.2. Is a UK marriage between Thai and UK nationals recognised as legal in Thailand?

Thanks in advance for any help/clarification with these questions.

1) She can only change her ID card at her home ampur, so couldn't change it in the UK any way. Though she could change her passport at the RTE in Kensington, it'll be simpler and quicker to do both in Thailand, and probably cheaper, too.

How would Thai immigration know she was now married?

2) Yes, a legal UK marriage is recognised as a legal marriage in Thailand (and vice/versa).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Following on from the original post, I have a situation which I am not 100% clear on and would be grateful for some help with.

My wife came to Jersey with me as my fiance 4 years ago in April. After six months on the fiance visa, we married here in Jersey and she had a FLR visa granted for two years, with the relevant page placed in her passport, still bearing her thai family name. At the end of those 2 years, she had not yet passed the Life in the UK test, so we got a further 2 years FLR, which expires in September this year.

Her thai passport also expires this year, in November, and we would prefer her to get a new passport from the Embassy in London, prior to the new ILR visa being hopefully granted and placed in the new passport. Due to my work and the obvious costs, it will not be feasible for us to get to Thailand before the passport expires.

My problem is that if we go to London to get the new passport, which they would need to post back to us here in Jersey, she has not yet registered her new (my) surname in Thailand yet. Therefore, I assume that the Embassy will be unable to produce a new passport in her new married name, even though we can show the marriage certificate etc. Am I right?

I guess they would issue a new passport in her Thai name, which would mean us applying for ILR in her thai name, even though we are married? I don't recall the Jersey Immigration office having a problem with the last extension being in her Thai name, although things may have have changed.

My wife has passed the UK test and we have all our documents for both the passport and the ILR, but before we book the flights to London from Jersey, I just need to make sure it doesn't end up as an even more expensive trip.

Please help!

Many thanks

John