Iraqi authorities hang 34 people in a single day

News_Editor

2012-01-24 23:05:36 GMT+7 (ICT)

BAGHDAD (BNO NEWS) -- More than 30 people were executed by Iraqi authorities on Thursday following their conviction for various crimes, the United Nations reported on Tuesday. It is the largest number of confirmed executions within a single day in years.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said she was shocked to learn that 34 people, including two women, were executed in Iraq on Thursday. "Even if the most scrupulous fair trial standards were observed, this would be a terrifying number of executions to take place in a single day," she said.

The United Nations believes at least 1,200 people have been sentenced to death in Iraq since 2004, but the government is reluctant to release official figures. The UN said at least 63 people are thought to have been executed since mid-November of last year.

"Given the lack of transparency in court proceedings, major concerns about due process and fairness of trials, and the very wide range of offences for which the death penalty can be imposed in Iraq, it is a truly shocking figure," Pillay said about Thursday's executions. Iraq lists 48 crimes for which the death penalty can be imposed, including non-fatal crimes such as damage to property.

"Most disturbingly," said Pillay, "we do not have a single report of anyone on death row being pardoned, despite the fact there are well documented cases of confessions being extracted under duress. I call on the Government of Iraq to implement an immediate moratorium on the institution of death penalty."

Tuesday's report comes just two days after Human Rights Watch warned that Iraq risks falling back towards authoritarian rule amid allegations that security forces have tortured detainees at a secret prison, cracked down on freedom of expression and attacked peaceful protesters as well as journalists. Executions were commonly used by the government of Saddam Hussein.

The opposition in Iraq has compared Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki to a dictator as he has failed to appoint defense and interior ministers, giving him full control over those ministries. al-Maliki has also failed to appoint a minister of National Security Affairs.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-01-24

Not sure about NATO but there was the claim that 500,000 children died in Iraq due to the UN imposed sanctions. When questioned on Sixty Minutes Madeleine Albright didn't dispute this number and claimed it 'was worth it'.

Not sure about NATO but there was the claim that 500,000 children died in Iraq due to the UN imposed sanctions. When questioned on Sixty Minutes Madeleine Albright didn't dispute this number and claimed it 'was worth it'.

http://www.fair.org/...x.php?page=1084

Lesley Stahl on U.S. sanctions against Iraq: We have heard that a half million children have died. I mean, that's more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it?

Secretary of State Madeleine Albright: I think this is a very hard choice, but the price--we think the price is worth it.

--60 Minutes (5/12/96)

-----

While Albright's quote is unfortunate, the reason sanctions were killing anyone was because Saddam siphoned any aid intended for his people off in order to build his massive palace complexes, etc. It's worth pointing out that this 500,000 figure (I read 50k/yr died) is 5 times the number of people killed in the Iraq War. It proved to be an unquestionably good thing that Saddam was removed from power.

Edited by koheesti

http://www.fair.org/...x.php?page=1084

Lesley Stahl on U.S. sanctions against Iraq: We have heard that a half million children have died. I mean, that's more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it?

Secretary of State Madeleine Albright: I think this is a very hard choice, but the price--we think the price is worth it.

--60 Minutes (5/12/96)

-----

While Albright's quote is unfortunate, the reason sanctions were killing anyone was because Saddam siphoned any aid intended for his people off in order to build his massive palace complexes, etc. It's worth pointing out that this 500,000 figure (I read 50k/yr died) is 5 times the number of people killed in the Iraq War. It proved to be an unquestionably good thing that Saddam was removed from power.

The link you have posted points out that the claim that it was all Saddams fault have been widely discredited:

The summer of 2001 saw a revival of long-discredited claims that sanctions are not to blame for Iraq's suffering, but that Saddam Hussein bears sole responsibility--an argument put forward in a State Department report (8/99) issued shortly after the UNICEF report on the deaths of children.

As for the removal of Saddam being a good thing, I would probably agree with you but I would not say it was unquestionable especially if nothing better is put in his place. If the reports coming out of Iraq are correct it seems to be slipping back into a dictatorial regime with the imprisonment of opposition politicians and the concentration of power into one individuals hands. Lets hope that the new regime doesn't tamper with all those nice oil and infrastructure contracts or all the coalition forces will have to show for themselves is a huge body count.

Is this "Mission Accomplished"?????

It depends on what the real mission was. I think we all know what it really was. So in the eyes of the US govt, mission accomplished.

Of course I'm being sarcastic.

I spent a number of years working in Iraq, primarily in the Kurdish-controlled region. As much as Saddam was hated, his removal from power was not necessarily in the best interest of the country. He was a brutal dictator, but there were a number of things that the country had going for it.

1. It was a republic and basically free of the extremist, fundamentalist religious elements.

2. There was a high standard of education. In the Kurdish held area, women were required to go to school. This included everything from primary to University.

3. There was a good, universal health care system in place.

4. There was reasonably good infrastructure, including roads, bridges, electrical supply etc.

The removal of Saddam left a void that was arguably filled by elements that in total may be worse.

He had no trouble with imposing the death penalty and the number 34 may not be a record for executions in the country....but it doesn't show a great deal of improvement.

I worked in both Baghdad and Erbil. I would agree 100% with all your points, except #4. The infrastructure was very poor throughout the country, outside of Baghdad or any city that Saddam favored. This is why we had such a problem rebuilding a lof of the infrastructure after the war. All that said, I fully agree with the rest of your points; especially #1.

All in all...perhaps not every country/culture is ready for democracy.

It is my view that Iraq needs to be ruled with the proverbial 'Iron Fist'. Therefore somewhat 'liberal use ' of the death penalty maybe warranted.

It's not just Iraq but the entire region. The 'advantages' of a secular tyrant are firstly they will act rationally in their own best interests if forced to do so. Second, they keep the religious nutcases in their box, which is literally a life saver for any religious minorities - see below.

http://ibloga.blogspot.com/2011/12/front-page-mag-iraqs-christians-near.html

I spent a number of years working in Iraq, primarily in the Kurdish-controlled region. As much as Saddam was hated, his removal from power was not necessarily in the best interest of the country. He was a brutal dictator, but there were a number of things that the country had going for it.

1. It was a republic and basically free of the extremist, fundamentalist religious elements.

2. There was a high standard of education. In the Kurdish held area, women were required to go to school. This included everything from primary to University.

3. There was a good, universal health care system in place.

4. There was reasonably good infrastructure, including roads, bridges, electrical supply etc.

The removal of Saddam left a void that was arguably filled by elements that in total may be worse.

He had no trouble with imposing the death penalty and the number 34 may not be a record for executions in the country....but it doesn't show a great deal of improvement.

I worked in both Baghdad and Erbil. I would agree 100% with all your points, except #4. The infrastructure was very poor throughout the country, outside of Baghdad or any city that Saddam favored. This is why we had such a problem rebuilding a lof of the infrastructure after the war. All that said, I fully agree with the rest of your points; especially #1.

All in all...perhaps not every country/culture is ready for democracy.

One of my offices was in Irbil, so I traveled weekly from Suleymaniyah to Irbil and then to our other offices in Dahuk and Zackho.

I used the word 'reasonably' good infrastructure. It was obvious that at one time, things had been in good shape. Infrastructure doesn't last long without maintenance.

I also got to witness some of the Iraqi justice, which included torturing an alleged criminal in the morning, until he confessed, then trying him in the afternoon and executing him in the evening. This was done with the watchful eye of the UN.

Is this "Mission Accomplished"?????

It depends on what the real mission was. I think we all know what it really was. So in the eyes of the US govt, mission accomplished.

Of course I'm being sarcastic.

I agree if you ask Bush and the big oil companies, or the weapon manufactors, or even the taliban. Thay have all found a new playground.

It is my view that Iraq needs to be ruled with the proverbial 'Iron Fist'. Therefore somewhat 'liberal use ' of the death penalty maybe warranted.

It's not just Iraq but the entire region. The 'advantages' of a secular tyrant are firstly they will act rationally in their own best interests if forced to do so. Second, they keep the religious nutcases in their box, which is literally a life saver for any religious minorities - see below.

http://ibloga.blogsp...tians-near.html

Totally agree with you on this one.

The link you have posted points out that the claim that it was all Saddams fault have been widely discredited:

The summer of 2001 saw a revival of long-discredited claims that sanctions are not to blame for Iraq's suffering, but that Saddam Hussein bears sole responsibility--an argument put forward in a State Department report (8/99) issued shortly after the UNICEF report on the deaths of children.

Further down the page was this (written in late 2001):

In fact, oil-for-food money is administered by the U.N., and disbursed directly from a U.S. bank account to foreign suppliers, so direct misappropriation of funds is impossible. Allegations about misappropriation of goods on the other end have repeatedly been denied by U.N. officials administering the program in Iraq

Remember the UN's Oil-for-Food Scandal? This discrediting of any of it being Saddam's fault is coming from those personally benefiting from the scandal.

Maybe we should throw the Bible and the Koran away, and give everybody a copy of Orwells animal farm. The 34 that died what their crimes were, i do not know, but when does the killing stop?

There is only one thing that is more fun than, starting wars, making money, wielding power and governing countries as evidenced from civilization since the dawn of time. Move to Pattaya. Sane men have been taking this opportunity in larger and larger numbers of late. Don't forget your loose shoes.

Maybe we should throw the Bible and the Koran away, and give everybody a copy of Orwells animal farm. The 34 that died what their crimes were, i do not know, but when does the killing stop?

There is only one thing that is more fun than, starting wars, making money, wielding power and governing countries as evidenced from civilization since the dawn of time. Move to Pattaya. Sane men have been taking this opportunity in larger and larger numbers of late. Don't forget your loose shoes.

ok i understand why i should move to Pattaya(which i will) but why the loose shoes?

ok i understand why i should move to Pattaya(which i will) but why the loose shoes?

Dark town after dark. It is a spoof on something President Gerald Ford's Secretary of Agriculture Earl Butz said and they made a movie trailer out of it in the style of Cab Calloway. After I saw it once years ago I was never able to forget the song.