What Documents Needed To Marry

I'm just about to go through that process myself, I've read anything and everything I can find about it and it looks relatively simple and painless. There is a lot of running around to do, Embassy twice, translator, Thai Ministry twice, then the district office, but shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks.

You go to Embassy one time to fill out a form letter which is typed up and you sign. You take that to a translation service to translate into Thai and have it registered at the MFA to make it a legal document (normally translation service can arrange this process and will take a few hours to several days depending on what you pay). You then go with passport and wife to be to a District Office to register you marriage. Total time for most people probably 3 days but can be done in one with a service. After marriage it is a good idea to have new translations made of marriage certificate and get it registered at MFA again for later legal use. Any other visit to US Embassy would be visa related and nothing to do with marriage.

You may be asked for someone who can speak English/Thai at marriage registration just to be sure you understand what you sign and several witness will have to sign but usually you have staff do that and treat them to lunch.

If you have a previous marriage be sure to take documents show that and the end of it.

It seems the US Embassy is a bit better organised than the British Embassy, there the document is available the next day, no same day service. I didn't know that a translation service would do the MFA part for you. But if not then it's 400bt next day or 800bt same day, not a problem for me as the MFA is close to where I live.

I just went thru this myself last week. First go to the US Embassy, to the ACS (American Citizen Services) department (into the embassy, up the ramp/stairs, far right queue, and thru the door). Ask for the form that is needed to marry a thai citizen.

Fill out the form, pay the fee at the cashier (800 baht, if I recall), then return receipt and form to the ACS to have them certify it.

Once the certified form is returned to you (same day, within about 30 minutes or less), run up the street (Wireless Road) to one of the many translation services, and have the form translated into Thai. I went to "Professional Translation", which is not too far from Wireless/Ploenchit intersection.

Once the form is translated, either go in person to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and have them bless the form, undoubtably for more money. Then go to the nearest Amphur to get married (yes, more money needed!).

At Professional Translation, all fees were covered for 6,500 baht. A bit steep, but it saved me the far, far away trip to the MFA and the time, and the trip to/from the Amphur was included (ie. fees and taxi fares). Also, I was treated to a lot of Chang Beer! :o

Cheers, and congratulations on your marriage to your fiance.

Edited by Gumballl

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/embassy/mrginfo.htm

The Embassy's American Citizen Services office is open during normal business hours (7:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.) Except U.S. and Thai public holidays and the last Friday of every month.

The American Citizen Services can also be contacted at: [email protected]

MARRIAGE IN THAILAND

Information for American Citizens

A legal marriage in Thailand consists of both parties registering their marriage in person with the local Thai Amphur (Civil Registry Office). The United States does recognize the validity of such a marriage.

A. TO MARRY A THAI CITIZEN YOU MUST FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

1. Complete an affidavit at the American Embassy. The affidavit form, available upon request, includes all of the information required by relevant Thai law. The form must be completed and notarized at the Embassy.

2. Have the completed affidavit translated.

3. Take the affidavit and translation to:

Legalization Division

Department of Consular Affairs

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

3rd Floor, 123 Chaeng Wattana Road

Tung Song Hong, Laksi District, Bangkok

Tel:(02) 575-1057-8, Fax:(02) 575-1054

4. Take the affidavit and supporting documents to a local Amphur and register yourselves as married. The Amphur will also require the following documents:

a) Your American passport;

:o The Thai citizen's identification card;

c) If either party is under the age of twenty, written

permission from the parents (with Thai translation);

d) If either you or your fiance have been previously married the Amphur will want to see proof that prior marriages have been terminated; either divorce or death certificates. These documents if available, should be translated into Thai prior to presentation at the Amphur.

MARRIAGE

Can I get married at the US Embassy in Bangkok?

American diplomatic and consular officers are NOT permitted to perform marriages (Title 22, Code of Federal Regulations 52.1). Marriages abroad are almost always performed by local (foreign) civil or religious officials. As a rule, marriages are not performed on the premises of an American embassy or consulate. The validity of marriages abroad is not dependent upon the presence of an American diplomatic or consular officer, but upon adherence to the laws of the country where the marriage is performed.

What is considered a legal marriage in Thailand?

A legal marriage in Thailand consists of both parties registering their marriage in person with the local Thai Amphur (Local District Office). The U.S. recognizes the validity of such a marriage.

How do I register my marriage in Thailand?

The first step in registering your marriage in Thailand is to complete a single–page affidavit at the American Citizen Services Unit. After completing the short document, it must be notarized by an Embassy consular officer. You will need your U.S. passport at the time the document is notarized, and you must also pay a notarial fee of $30.00 (or Thai Baht equivalent) in cash at the time the document is notarized. If you have been previously married, you must also complete a second, single-page affidavit. The notarial fee for this second affidavit is $20.00 (or Thai Baht equivalent). No appointment is necessary and the entire process usually takes only a few minutes.

To view the succeeding steps, access the link below:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/embassy/mrginfo.htm

Can the ACS Unit at the Embassy translate documents and “certify” translations?

Unfortunately, the ACS unit cannot translate documents nor “certify” other translations. A list of translation services in the vicinity of the Embassy can be requested at the time of registration or in advance by emailing [email protected]. Prices and time needed for the translation vary from place to place.

I am a U.S. citizen. I plan to marry a foreign national. We want to marry in the USA. What should I do to bring my fianc?e to the United States?

Information on visas for fianc?es of a U.S. Citizen is available at http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...types_1315.html

I am a U.S. Citizen. I married a foreign national. How do I file a petition to bring my spouse to the U.S.?

Information on visas for Spouses of a U.S. Citizen is available at http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...types_1315.html

Thanks for info.

Another related question:

My girl has already recieved a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa. I have no intentions of living in the US, but would like to visit occasionally.

After we are married in Thailand, will she need another passport/Visa?

Can she still travel on a tourist visa?

Are we guaranteed to get another 10 year multiple entry visa?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for info.

My girl has already recieved a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa.  I have no intentions of living in the US, but would like to visit occasionally.

Thanks for the help.

She must change her passport to "MRS" and although a name change could be made in the passport the visa name would not be changed so I would not want to try using it. I would make the required new ID card and then have her make a new passport. They only cost a little over 1,000 baht.

Yes, she can still travel on a tourist visa if there is no intent to live in the USA. Your employment history/reasons for staying overseas will probably be a key factor for that proof.

I don't believe anyone is guaranteed anything but a 10 year multi entry is what my wife has and she had no prior travel to US so I would expect she would probably get the same.

Thanks for info.

My girl has already recieved a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa.  I have no intentions of living in the US, but would like to visit occasionally.

Thanks for the help.

She must change her passport to "MRS" and although a name change could be made in the passport the visa name would not be changed so I would not want to try using it. I would make the required new ID card and then have her make a new passport. They only cost a little over 1,000 baht.

Yes, she can still travel on a tourist visa if there is no intent to live in the USA. Your employment history/reasons for staying overseas will probably be a key factor for that proof.

I don't believe anyone is guaranteed anything but a 10 year multi entry is what my wife has and she had no prior travel to US so I would expect she would probably get the same.

Be careful about changing the names on any passports yet. If the tourist visa was issued under your wife's maiden name, and then she changes her passport to bear your surname, the visa could be deemed to be invalid.

Think of this scenario: Ms. Jane Wannabee obtains a visa under this name, and then marries Mr. Joe Somebody. If Jane changes her name (in passport) to be Mrs. Jane Somebody, then the visa is technically not valid because it was issued for "someone else".

Think along the lines of a security risk... a no-no in today's USA; then you'll will understand.