Honda Nc700X

RED21

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the price....

they must be kidding. you can buy a er6f for long roads, a honda crf for dirt and a nice scooter for gf!!!

or nearly two second hand honda cbr 600.

you might think some rich thai guys might buy it but for sure Thai people especially rich Thai people are not that stupid.

Info from the Bkk show. Looks like Tony was correct and I was wrong....Nc700x circa 400.000b.

APe Honda are knobs biggrin.png

Hate to say "I told you so"... but... I told you so! drunk.gif

yer, yer ,yer. i should have known really because it is APe Honda after all.

( only complete knobs would bring in a bike thats so uncompetitively priced against a similar bike. And especially as there is still a rumour that it will be made here within the next 12-18mths)

ROFL yep... APe does it again! Ok well let's look at the positives - they brought in some shiny new big bikes that are competitive with imported Yamaha big bikes. The VFR 1200 is nice, and it's nice to have an official CBR1000RR.

I don't see them selling the NC700X at all to be honest. It's like the family sedan vs the sports car (Versys) except in this case the family sedan happens to be over 50% more expensive... errrr... I think not! If it was locally produced and a bit cheaper or same price, they'd sell some. But not for 450k baht.

I guess that you could draw a parallel between Versys and a sports *car* if you also consider an MX-5 (Miata) one also...

I guess that you could draw a parallel between Versys and a sports *car* if you also consider an MX-5 (Miata) one also...

Sure! I actually owned an MX-5 once, it was an absolute blast to drive. Keep it near the 7k redline and you have a sports car :D after a year or so I couldn't do a corner in this thing without sliding it just a tiny little bit. Thanks to 50/50 weight distribution and an upgraded suspension on mine it was really a lot of fun. I even got stopped once by the cops for "taking a turn too fast"... true story...

Anyway, given the specs I think the NC700X can be called a family sedan compared to the Versys. It's like the heavier, weaker, crappier suspension version. And yeah well aware that the V is hardly a HP monster...

Edited by nikster

Is is automatic or does it have gears?

I can think of many Thais that does not have a bigger bike just because they are to lazy to change gears, come think of it, I can think of a few foreigners as well...

They are too busy with their guns, beers, girls, and/or eating to clutch/gear/ride it properly... It might be good for them...

And if you have a bad accident and break your leg, it would be nice if it was automatic as you dont have to use your legs then..

but the price... hmm, Nc700x or a nissan march??? I know what I would buy for my shopping trolly!

None of the Honda big bikes so far are manufactured in Thailand. Remember AP's press release last year about their lines were almost finished and ready to begin production on big bikes for both local and export markets? They even cited the free trade agreement with Japan as one of the reasons they were gearing up and almost ready to begin production.

I don't believe we've heard the last of the models that will be available in Big Wing within the next year, especially as there's currently nothing between 250cc and 700cc that will be available when it opens.

None of the Honda big bikes so far are manufactured in Thailand. Remember AP's press release last year about their lines were almost finished and ready to begin production on big bikes for both local and export markets? They even cited the free trade agreement with Japan as one of the reasons they were gearing up and almost ready to begin production. I don't believe we've heard the last of the models that will be available in Big Wing within the next year, especially as there's currently nothing between 250cc and 700cc that will be available when it opens.

What article was that?

There was an article in the Bangkok Post about Hondas intent to move more production to Thailand but there were no specifics in the article.

The Honda Factory in Lad Krabang industrial estate is operating at full capacity 24/7 so unless Honda is going to open a new factory somewhere I don't expect to see anything bigger than 250cc from them in Thailand any time soon.

Japanese confidence in Thailand was dealt a major blow by the flooding fiasco. Honda, being always cautious, is probably thinking long and hard about whether they want to expend production in this country...

451,000 baht versus a U.S. price of 217,000 baht. I understand the need to make a profit, but I have never understood motorcycle prices in Thailand.

A lot of it is import tax but I still think these Honda prices are OTT. For example, Kawasaki was selling the ZX10R for 650k. OK it was restricted but that doesn't mean they can buy it for less and RedBaron do the same price for an unrestricted US spec ZX10. These guys are still paying the import tax but they're not doing it for charity so they must be making a decent profit at those prices. The cost of the ZX10 and the CBR1000 is about the same in other markets so why do Honda sell the CBR1000 for 799k? They must be making the same healthy profit as Kawasaki/RB and then they add on around 150k baht pure profit on top on what the other guys are making. Why can't they sell it for 650k? Maybe I'm missing something but I can't see what. Looks like another AP Honda ripoff to me.

I'm interested in the CBR1000RR but I can't justify 150k over the price of a ZX10 from RedBaron. I'm guessing RedBaron could get a CBR1000 ordered in from the states for around the 650k mark as well, so why buy from Honda?

I can think of many Thais that does not have a bigger bike just because they are to lazy to change gears, come think of it, I can think of a few foreigners as well...

They are too busy with their guns, beers, girls, and/or eating to clutch/gear/ride it properly... It might be good for them...

And if you have a bad accident and break your leg, it would be nice if it was automatic as you dont have to use your legs then..

but the price... hmm, Nc700x or a nissan march??? I know what I would buy for my shopping trolly!

There's a Dual Clutch transmission option...

Which works like this...

Edited by RED21

Which works like this...

Thanks, nice video. Unlike most Thais i would want the manual clutch AND the dual clutch in one bike biggrin.png

And now we know two things. This bikes can drive faster than 100kmh and it is a sports bike that everyone can enjoy (look at 2:33). If they make it as cheap as a Wave i will buy one.

Which works like this...

Thanks, nice video. Unlike most Thais i would want the manual clutch AND the dual clutch in one bike biggrin.png

And now we know two things. This bikes can drive faster than 100kmh and it is a sports bike that everyone can enjoy (look at 2:33). If they make it as cheap as a Wave i will buy one.

Or, another way to read it is, we've provided an automatic transmission for those riders who are too inept to operate a clutch...

In my humble opinion AT in a sportbike is just as wrong as AT in a sports car.

But for a scooter like the NC700 I guess it makes sense. passifier.gif

Or, another way to read it is, we've provided an automatic transmission for those riders who are too inept to operate a clutch...

In my humble opinion AT in a sportbike is just as wrong as AT in a sports car.

But for a scooter like the NC700 I guess it makes sense. passifier.gif

Well it's a dual clutch paddle-shift AT - in the video it looks like instant gear changes in manual mode. So that should be OK. Necessary? Probably not. Solution searching for a problem, more like.

In all fairness, I expect this bike will have a small niche market in European cities where it could be a good messenger / delivery vehicle... What in the UK they call a "pizza bike" wink.png

A picture of this lovely bike we all love violin.gif

post-52293-0-18944000-1328491355_thumb.j

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So I got to do a short demo ride today (August 4th). I thought the shorter shifting would be the most different thing about the NC700X, but it was not. In fact, the way I shift when riding in town works just fine. And it wasn't too abrupt when the rev limiter kicked in, which I forced a couple of times. At least it doesn't suddenly slow you down. Still, when passing on a highway, you would have to make sure you shifted before that happened.

Okay. The strangest thing was the nearly complete lack of engine braking. I guess I am really in the habit of using it to stop in town, and it is just not there.

The sound of the engine is unique. The feel of the engine is unique. I don't know what a tractor feels like. I don't know what a diesel car feels like. I have nothing to compare this motorcycle to. It feels unlike any bike I have ever been on. But I do know that it was an okay ride. I believe it would make a good commuter bike, and it would also be okay on local back roads. On the highway, I'm not so sure, but that applies to any bike in the 700cc range.

An interesting experiment, kind of like a peppy scooter dressed up as a motorcycle. But the price is fair at U.S.$7000.

I have no criticism of Honda in this case. They have tried something completely unique, and offered it up at a very fair price. Me? I would rather have a VFR1200X Crosstourer. But which is more likely? For me to come up with $7000? Or $18,000 (my guess at the U.S. price if it even comes here)?

To summarize this rambling post, I would seriously consider buying the NC700X for commuting and local touring. The fuel economy is excellent, the storage is nice, and the price is fair. Well-done--for the first time in a very long time--Honda.

The demo ride was limited to 5 minutes, with a lead rider purposely keeping me relatively slow. But my impression was that the riding position was very good (I'm a stickler for standard riding position). The seat seemed good for local riding, but I suspect it wouldn't be that great for long distance.

The handling seemed okay, but I was far short of testing it properly. It was just town streets, right turns only, and no curves.

I will say that the demo ride made me feel really good about my 2003 Honda CB750 Nighthawk. I was riding it today and thinking about how well it rides. So I guess we could say that the Honda NC700X performs in most ways like the Nighthawk, with the Nighthawk feeling more peppy and fun.

I would not do a deal to exchange the well-performing Nighthawk for the NC700X, but if something were to go wrong with the Nighthawk, I would definitely consider the NC700X as its replacement. Given a bit of money in my pocket, though, either the CB1100 (now available in Europe?) or the VFR1200X Crosstourer (now available in Europe) would be my choice.

It seems that Honda, after a long period of losing their way, is back with some very good choices. And they have also begun to address value, with the CBR250R and CRF250L (available soon in U.S.) at approximately U.S.$4000, along with this NC700X at U.S.$7000.

I am very glad that Honda, the sleeping giant of motorcycles in America, may have finally awoken.

I've toured with the new Integra which has the same engine as the NC700. I would argue that it is great for both the city and long distance touring. It is very comfortable for both the rider and pillion. I was on a Fireblade and another guy was on a Goldwing. The Integra had no problem keeping up and handled beautifully in the turns. The dual clutch system and lack of engine braking do take some getting, but I think it is great to be able to switch from auto to manual with the flick of a switch. There aren't many new riders entering the market nowadays. Honda wanted to make an easy to ride vehicle that would appeal these riders. When I did my last Bigwing rider training 80% of the bikes were NC700s with a lot of new riders, so I guess Honda's plan is working.

I have to agree with you that the NC700 would make a great first bike. I also think DCT is a big plus for a commuter bike in stop-and-go traffic. And the DCT may be attractive to new riders, or those of us with arthritis getting progressively more serious. I do like the bike. I would recommend it.

Funny thing about DCT, the very idea used to disgust me, but now I am coming around. If I were to win the lottery and suddenly have the means to buy a VFR1200X Crosstourer, I might just go for the DCT version.

220 kg bike with a half honda jazz engine with 40 hp on the back wheel with 6500 rpm redline does not make any sense.

The bike looks good quality, rugged like it can last forever but price wise, one must be crazy to spend 470,000 thb on it in Thailand - price is very reasonable for USA though. - especially if you can buy a Ducati for 400.000 thb or a Kawa for 260.000 thb.

Still, it is good to see the options in Thailand. If they can build it in Thailand and can offer it for half the price, it might be a hit!

I`ve just read a UK road test of the NC700X 6 speed manual version. It had a top speed of 185kph and returned 25kpl. Acceleration to 120kph was faster than the CBF600. Because of the very low centre of gravity it can be leaned right over in the corners. Power was 51hp at 6250rpm, torque was 60Nm at 4750rpm. Kerb weight 228kgs. Crank layout makes firing intervals similar to that of a 90 degree v-twin, and the tester said the nearest comparison he can think of is between a petrol engine and a turbo diesel. Service intervals are 12000kms. UK price for this made in Japan Honda is £5850 including C-ABS. So, not bad value in the UK, but I wouldn`t fill the Thai government`s tax coffers here and pay the inflated price.

• 1 month later...

Honda Bigwing got about 15-20 customers who bought NC700X now,Honda can sell everything here in the land of smile.

Well, in NOV-DEC. CBR500 and Naked version with 2 cylinders , built here will be release , LET SEE!!

Edited by pichus