Bts Sukhumvit Line New 4 Car Train

Familyonthemove

So you saw an older Siemens 3-car train set with a 4th car added?

Or did you see one of the newer 4-Car sets from CNR running on the SUkhumvit Line?

I guess the former is possible, but the press release indicated that it might not happen until more towards the end of this year...

The newly ordered trailer cars are to be put into service successively on the Sukhumvit Line as of the end of 2012 and lengthen the trains already in operation from 3-car to 4-car multiple units. The delivery of these cars is to continue into 2013.

If the latter then maybe they are just testing a 4-car set on the Sukhumvit Line, singalling, platform alignment, etc.?

So you saw an older Siemens 3-car train set with a 4th car added?

Or did you see one of the newer 4-Car sets from CNR running on the SUkhumvit Line?

I guess the former is possible, but the press release indicated that it might not happen until more towards the end of this year...

The newly ordered trailer cars are to be put into service successively on the Sukhumvit Line as of the end of 2012 and lengthen the trains already in operation from 3-car to 4-car multiple units. The delivery of these cars is to continue into 2013.

If the latter then maybe they are just testing a 4-car set on the Sukhumvit Line, singalling, platform alignment, etc.?

It was one of the new style trains - as on the National Stadium/Wongwian Yai line - but it had a different colour scheme (Mostly white - no grey stripe on the side across the windows) so I think it may be a new one for the Sukhumvit Line rather than one from the other line?

Didn't see it this morning though - could have done with it at Asoke to avoid the crush.

At night times some trains from Thonburi go to Siam then move over to the other line towards Mochit.

Yes .... but this one was on Saturday afternoon?

It may just be a stray from the other line, but I'm an optimist!

Maybe going back to the parking area as that is where most of them park up. Also maybe people in BTS starting to think about passengers going to Chatuchak or other places, and also a lot of graduation ceremonies being done so increased passengers, shame they don't think about the morning rush hours.

It sounds like one of the new 4-car CNR sets was on the Sukhumvit Line.

Maybe the OP could detail which stops it ran on?

I think the Silom Line can cross over in/north-bound to the Sukhumvit Line just before Siam; sometimes confuses riders as the doors open on the opposite side!, in order to get up to the yard at Mor Chit. Happens every day I think?

When the new 4th cars are available for the Sukhumvit line they should look the same as the existing cars.

I think almost all of the platforms can accommodate six-car trains, perhaps with some re-work on a few?

Edited by lomatopo

It sounds like one of the new 4-car CNR sets was on the Sukhumvit Line.

Maybe the OP could detail which stops it ran on?

I think the Silom Line can cross over in/north-bound to the Sukhumvit Line just before Siam; sometimes confuses riders as the doors open on the opposite side!, in order to get up to the yard at Mor Chit. Happens every day I think?

When the new 4th cars are available for the Sukhumvit line they should look the same as the existing cars.

I think almost all of the platforms can accommodate six-car trains, perhaps with some re-work on a few?

lomatopo is correct. Though the 35 extra Siemens cars were originally due to commence delivery from Feb 2012 it has been delayed until later this year. The cars were going to be delivered over from early 2012 to late 2013 but it seems they'll more or less arrive in bulk and then into 3rd quarter 2013. They will look the same being Siemens stock.

Yes the lines cross between Ratchadamri and Siam stations - about 200m east of Siam opp the temple - for Silom trains running to/from the Mo Chit depot.

All platforms are designed to accommodate a max of 6 cars with a little bit of reconfiguration once it goes from 5 to 6 car operation (the emergency exit areas at each end of the platform).

Also note that BTSC ordered 5 more 4 car CNR sets (same as current silom line) last Sept for when the WWY - Bang Wah ext opens. That ext has been delayed due to the floods so only two stations will open on 5 Dec 2012, not all 4 stations. The other two should open mid to late 2013.

I doubt that CNR will have any of the new 5 trains delivered by then so expect further delays on the Silom line from 5 Dec until those new trains arrive.

Edited by Lakegeneve

FWIW, today, Saturday 4 Feb. ~ 08:00, I rode a CNR 4-car train (which normally operates on the Silom line) on the Sukhumvit Line from Asoke to Udom Suk. It was train #37, car # 2937. The starting and stopping on this train was very uneven, with several strong lurches which threw a few people around.

I am guessing that during off-peak times they are trialing 4-car sets on the Sukhumvit Line to identify any issues before they start adding the 4th car to the existing 3-car sets later this year?