Klong Near Tobacco Companies End Of Sukhumvit Soi 10, Saw Monster Took Pic

nycboy57

let me see if this lets me upload it, sorry this is with Iphone 4s but pretty late

walking along this Klong or whatever it is end of soi 10 walking towards the highway and the lower soi's.

I am happy the floods did not hit this far and these things would be swimming around Sukhumvit?

Anyone see these before? Can you see it this is not a joke picture just took it the other day.

post-77994-0-95173600-1327857678_thumb.j

It is a monitor lizard, I hate those dam_n things. I was walking along Suk near Soi 11 and one ran out from under one of the tables, I let out a scream I didn't know I could do - dam_n near pulled my mates arm off. I've seen the ones in Lumphini park sunbathing and they look cute but I'm still scared.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive seen some really big Eheeya lizards around the sewers in soi 13 near the Trendy Condo block.

from where I was walking this looked much bigger than 3 feet, and the other day walking along the same location i got a better look,

just as I was about to take it's picture, It looked up at me and the water is black and filthy and it took a dive.

In any case do the eat Rats in the sewers , i hope?

do they come up out of the toilets?

Did people have to deal with these in the floods?

thanks for the replies, to me this is a monster big enough to be considered nasty.

I took a paddle boat out in Lumpini Park a few years ago and there were some really big Monitors relaxing/hiding on the embankments under the park's bridges.

About 3 metres long from my estimates at fairly close range. I wouldn't want to mess with one at that size, although they weren't aggressive to be fair.

From Lumpini Park, I imagine it's quite easy for them to get into the water network that runs from there down to Queen Sirikit park (the bike/jogging route), so not suprised they are showing up on Sukhumvit. Must be a hell of a shock if you are tucking into your street-side noodles and one bolts out as in post #3. laugh.png

Ive seen some really big Eheeya lizards around the sewers in soi 13 near the Trendy Condo block.

from where I was walking this looked much bigger than 3 feet, and the other day walking along the same location i got a better look,

just as I was about to take it's picture, It looked up at me and the water is black and filthy and it took a dive.

In any case do the eat Rats in the sewers , i hope?

do they come up out of the toilets?

Did people have to deal with these in the floods?

thanks for the replies, to me this is a monster big enough to be considered nasty.

Do yourself a favour. Stop talking while what little dignity you have left is intact.

Seriously - a nasty monster? Are you for real?

They are completely harmless and quite gentle lizards which are very very common around lakes and water ways all through Asia. There is no need for people 'to deal with them during the floods' They're more scared of you than you are of them (although in your case, perhaps not).

And stop calling them monsters. They're lizards. Their diet is usually limited to crickets, worms and occasionally small reptiles. The way you're talking you seem to be worried they'll eat you.

They're also increasingly common as pets.

For a NYC boy, you're coming across as a bit of a jessie.

• Like 1

I am not going to get into an argument or name calling or telling people on this what to say or judge them.

i will say from the way it looked to me from where I was and from the picture much bigger and not like a lizard

all i did was ask a question and yes some people have fears, i do , Rats, bugs mice,

mental condition,

maybe because you don't does not make you a big strong man for judging other peoples mental illness

but in any case, you were not there, you did not see it,

from the picture are you an expert at everything swimming in that klong or whatever it is.

Forget about I should not waste my time and energy divulging my weekness and fears with people that Judge,

as they say back home, those that judge dont count and those the count dont judge,

blessings to you on Happy Valentines day and i keep trying to remember that whatever does not kill me

makes me stronger, and this avenue of communication leaves those of us vulnerable to attack.

I am not going to get into an argument or name calling or telling people on this what to say or judge them.

i will say from the way it looked to me from where I was and from the picture much bigger and not like a lizard

all i did was ask a question and yes some people have fears, i do , Rats, bugs mice,

mental condition,

maybe because you don't does not make you a big strong man for judging other peoples mental illness

but in any case, you were not there, you did not see it,

from the picture are you an expert at everything swimming in that klong or whatever it is.

Forget about I should not waste my time and energy divulging my weekness and fears with people that Judge,

as they say back home, those that judge dont count and those the count dont judge,

blessings to you on Happy Valentines day and i keep trying to remember that whatever does not kill me

makes me stronger, and this avenue of communication leaves those of us vulnerable to attack.

Ummmm. Yeah. Ok.

Well, regardless of all that, it's a monitor lizard and it's totally harmless and they are as common as much around klongs, lakes and waterways.

Now, can we move on?

• Like 1