Earthquakes In Chiang Mai

klop

How often are there earthquakes in Chiang Mai,  how often do they happen ?

I'm not an expert but my experience is I felt the Tsunami earthquake moderately for half a minute. I was on the top floor of Chiangmai Pacific Mansions and thought to myself if this goes on any longer I'm gettin out. java script:emoticon(':(')

Then yesterday it was quite a noisy little jolt. I was at Wat Umong at a Buddhist meeting. My friend, a monk present who's loved here 20 years, was asked how often there were quakes. He said they don't happen often or badly here.

By the way what was fun was that the fish all jumped out of the water of the lake.

I don't think CM gets any earthquakes.  What they feal there are quakes in Burma or China, a long way from the epi-centers.  Big ones there can shake CM a little. :o

But, the most recent quake stories put the epicenter between Chiang Mai and Hang Dong... There is also a fairly good sized fault line running N/S around Phrae...

So much for theories, I guess. :D

I don't think CM gets any earthquakes.  What they feal there are quakes in Burma or China, a long way from the epi-centers.  Big ones there can shake CM a little. :o

But, the most recent quake stories put the epicenter between Chiang Mai and Hang Dong... There is also a fairly good sized fault line running N/S around Phrae...

I share that theory. We are right between CM and Hang Dong and felt we were at the epicenter. For us it was a very brief WHAM (official earthquake terminology) that had us running out the door to look for signs of a major explosion. Then we could hear the ripple effect moving away from us.. Kinda like a very nearby lightning strike .. the thunder is but a reflection (or happens only when its raining..?)

Fleetwood, the Rumours concert, July 78, Folsom Field in Boulder, the Eagles, Steve Miller.. Stevie Nicks singing "Thunder only happens.." as the lightning flashes right IN the arena... Oops sorry, flashback...

Insomuch as there are hot springs throughgout the CM area I'd guess that CM as a geothermic area would also be an earthquake area. We have hot springs in my area of the US but have very infrequent minor quakes that can be felt. (most quakes aren't large enough to cause notice) Newspaper occasionally reminds us of a fair sized quake along the coast hundred years ago or so

However near family farm in South America, we have hot springs and large noisy quakes on an all too often basis. :D