Jump to content

My Thai visa is in an expired passport


Recommended Posts

I’m a retired American who has spent the last 10 years in Thailand.  I knew it was getting close to renewal time so I checked my passport and saw that my visa expired on 20-July.  Still plenty of time.

 

Yesterday   I looked at my passport again and I noticed that my passport had expired on 27 May So I now have an expired passport, with an active Thai visa 

 

I don’t know what to do. Am I currently overstaying? I do have an active Thai visa. Do I have to leave the country? I’m living on a government pension so the 500 THB/day is really painful. Do I have to leave the country?  If  I with an so, where can I go with an expired  passport? The US won't even accept me with an expired passport.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

Did he use an agent.  Possibly why  the annual extension is beyond passport expiry date.

I once used an agent and only got nine months as my passport only had nine months left.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tac said:

my visa expired on 20-July.  Still plenty of time.

 

Yesterday   I looked at my passport again and I noticed that my passport had expired on 27 May So I now have an expired passport, with an active Thai visa 

Nonsense.

  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Agents don't do stamps etc. That's done by immigration. Hence your permission of stay was date same as pp expiry. 

Unless he last used an "agent" who has a desk drawer full of snide Immigration stamps and he's actually on a long overstay already!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Unless he last used an "agent" who has a desk drawer full of snide Immigration stamps and he's actually on a long overstay already!

Hence my post on using an agent.  Perhaps I should have clarified my post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tac said:

I noticed that my passport had expired on 27 May So I now have an expired passport, with an active Thai visa

 

No, you have an expired passport with an invalid/expired extension of stay.

 

2 hours ago, tac said:

where can I go with an expired  passport? The US won't even accept me with an expired passport.

 

Of course they will.  You may have trouble getting there, but they'll let ya in.

 

But of course you've already made an appointment at the US embassy to renew your passport or apply for an emergency travel document, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Raindancer said:

Did he use an agent.  Possibly why  the annual extension is beyond passport expiry date.

Post deleted by user.

 

Edited by Raindancer
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So are living in Thailand on extensions of stay from a non O.

How can your current permission of stay "admitted till date" be outside your passport expiry date? 

I guess they made a mistake when they issued the visa.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Try doing a little research on issuance of visas first, then submit a thread the contents of which you haven't just made up!

I wish I'd made it up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Liquorice said:

You do not have an active visa, it expired years ago.

You extend your period of stay and stamped .............. permitted to stay until 20th July.

If your passport has already expired, Immigration made an error dating the stamp.

 

You need to immediately obtain a new passport.
Technically, you're on overstay due to Immigrations error with the date stamp, which should have been dated with the same date as your passport expiry, 27th May.

I can't "immediately obtain a new passport" it takes 6 - 8 weeks, and there is no expdited passports for people applying outside of the country. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

 

No, you have an expired passport with an invalid/expired extension of stay.

 

 

Of course they will.  You may have trouble getting there, but they'll let ya in:

Citizens to the United States. U.S. citizens will not be allowed to use their expired U.S. passport for direct return to the United States after June 30, 2022. If a U.S. citizen overseas has an expired U.S. passport, please contact your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate to apply for a U.S. passport.Jun 20, 2566 BE

But of course you've already made an appointment at the US embassy to renew your passport or apply for an emergency travel document, right?

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, kidneyw said:

I once used an agent and only got nine months as my passport only had nine months left.

I didn't se an agent.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GO get your passport renewed. I know someone who got theirs done in around 2 weeks. She even had a conditional PP. Then I would go and have the stamps transferred. Maybe they won't notice and if they do, they will work something out🙄. Other than that go and get doc from the embassy so you can leave the country.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suggest you hang tight then act once your new passport arrives (ensuring it does prior to July 20 - being your current OA extension expiry date)  then visit your local immigration office with all documents in hand to apply for your new extension, which will be stamped into your new passport, obviously as long as all application documents are correct & in order. No dramas. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You do not have a Visa, you have have a extension of stay based on retirement(?) or. marriage(?) or ??????, FOR 10 years, commonally called a ????xxxxx??? visa

 

You can get a EMERGENCY PASSPORT at the EMBASSY ASAP, can be done in a few hours ( mine took 3 hours ), get a emergency appointment -  reason expiring passport,  PRESENT  PP at Embassy.

 

You WILL have problems at Thai Immigration if PP and extension are expired.

 

( I had to do, 10 year PP took 6 weeks and 4 days for return from US, my extension expired on the  day my PP expired, with emergency PP , I was able to renew extension,

 

How your "Extension of Stay" goes invalid - it expires when your Passport expires.

 

When 10 year PP received AT EMBASSY - Embassy will invalidate emergency PP. Have your Thai immigration  stamps transfered at Thai Immigration.

 

Keep all 3 PP's handy especially if you travel out of country.

Edited by edwardflory
word spacing
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, tac said:

I’m a retired American who has spent the last 10 years in Thailand.  I knew it was getting close to renewal time so I checked my passport and saw that my visa expired on 20-July.  Still plenty of time.

 

Yesterday   I looked at my passport again and I noticed that my passport had expired on 27 May So I now have an expired passport, with an active Thai visa 

 

I don’t know what to do. Am I currently overstaying? I do have an active Thai visa. Do I have to leave the country? I’m living on a government pension so the 500 THB/day is really painful. Do I have to leave the country?  If  I with an so, where can I go with an expired  passport? The US won't even accept me with an expired passport.

The US will accept you with an expired Passport.  Best option is to contact the US embassy and they will advise you of exactly what you need to do to get new travel documents/passport or whatever.  Once you get the new passport then just go to Thai immigration and they will transfer the stamps.  Contact the embassy immediately so they have some time to work out to get you a new p/p b4 20 July.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Presnock said:

The US will accept you with an expired Passport.  Best option is to contact the US embassy and they will advise you of exactly what you need to do to get new travel documents/passport or whatever.  Once you get the new passport then just go to Thai immigration and they will transfer the stamps.  Contact the embassy immediately so they have some time to work out to get you a new p/p b4 20 July.

OOPs, I had not read the 2022 message from US dips that one needed to get some other documentation if the passport had expired already.  And now I note all the others advising contact the embassy immediately and they will assist you in getting an emergency pp which you then take to immigration and settle up with them soonest.  Good luck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Contact the embassy immediately so they have some time to work out to get you a new p/p b4 20 July.

Regardless of Immigration incorrectly date stamping his extension of stay beyond the expiry date of his passport, it's your responsibility to check the date stamps.

He's been on overstay since 27th May.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Liquorice said:

Regardless of Immigration incorrectly date stamping his extension of stay beyond the expiry date of his passport, it's your responsibility to check the date stamps.

He's been on overstay since 27th May.

yeah, notice I said settle up with immigration soonest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As someone said before, go to your embassy and get a new passport. Abut the visa stamp, it is no problem, just bring both your old and new passport next time you go to immigration.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess the question is, is he looking at the date of the original visa or the date of the last extension?

 

Get your passport renewed asap and then get the stamps transfered to the new one (if they are still valid)

 

Otherwise you might be looking at leaving Thailand reentering visa exempt and then appling for a new non-O.  

 

If you are on overstay already that could complicate things depending on how long it has been.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.








×
×
  • Create New...