Drivers License Infraction "Points"

WarpSpeed

I've had this question floating around in my mind ever since my 5 year renewal and that childish video we had to endure.

It did have a couple of points I'd like to have clarified if anyone knows?

First, they mentioned several times "having points deducted from your license" for various infractions but if so what is the total amount you begin with?

Back home we have a total number you reach and then you're suspended or revoked etc. but it adds not subtracts huh.png ... And the amounts are quite high like 30 and 40 points deducted and so on whereas back home it's like 4 points for major infractions and so on with like only 12 points allowed in a year for example.

Secondly and this is mostly a comment and observation they also mentioned a 2000b fine for spitting or littering cheesy.gif but only a 500b fine for speeding? cheesy.gif On both counts at the absurdity and irony but still did anyone even know these fines existed? (not the speeding fine, we all knew about that)

The DLT movie is dated on fines, speeding moved up to max 1.000 baht at least 7 years ago. Their website contain the same dated info, including dated info on Non IMM visa required for DL and vehicle ownership, which is not required any more

as for the points, I dont know, but I have met some guys unable to renew their 5 year DL due to points. However most cops dont bother to log the points in database, their commision is on fine amount only. Fines not paid goes to logging clerck.

usually 6 months suspension

You can get a 2,000 baht fine for smoking in Lumphani park in Bangkok.

I was having a smoke in there when a lady warned me about smoking so I put it out and put the end back in my pack. A few minutes later two guys showed up and told me there was a fine of 2,000 baht for smoking. I said I'm not smoking and they combed the area around me looking for a cigarette butt. Couldn't find one but nattered at me about smoking in the park.

Lesson learned on my part.

I was having a smoke in there when a lady warned me about smoking so I put it out and put the end back in my pack. A few minutes later two guys showed up and told me there was a fine of 2,000 baht for smoking. I said I'm not smoking and they combed the area around me looking for a cigarette butt. Couldn't find one but nattered at me about smoking in the park.

Yeah, tried that one on me too.

I put my ciggy out on the floor, before I knew it there's a guy there asking for 2,000, I picked up the butt and walked off up the metro stairsangry.png

Yeah, tried that one on me too.

I put my ciggy out on the floor, before I knew it there's a guy there asking for 2,000, I picked up the butt and walked off up the metro stairsangry.png

come on guys, everyone knows smoking is more dangerous than speeding, thus 2.000 baht for smoking and 1.000 baht for speeding

I love driving in this countrywai.gif

• Like 1

From what I understand, the points system is only applicable in BKK, and then only if your license is confiscated and you have to go to the station to pay and get it back, ie. not roadside 'fines'.

I receivced a photo of me doing 136 in a 90 zone a few days ago (from nearly 2 months before). The letter was in Thai so I asked my secretary to read it thoroughly and see if there was any mention of points. Nope, just 400 baht fine. This one, if you don't pay they will not let you renew your tax disc....errr....square.

From what I understand, the points system is only applicable in BKK, and then only if your license is confiscated and you have to go to the station to pay and get it back, ie. not roadside 'fines'.

I receivced a photo of me doing 136 in a 90 zone a few days ago (from nearly 2 months before). The letter was in Thai so I asked my secretary to read it thoroughly and see if there was any mention of points. Nope, just 400 baht fine. This one, if you don't pay they will not let you renew your tax disc....errr....square.

points not applicabel on automated fines as above, cause they dont bother/need to identify driver, as owner is responsible for fine

drunk driving caught and sentenced/fined, automaticly 6 months wait for renewal of DL. No points needed

points not applicabel on automated fines as above, cause they dont bother/need to identify driver, as owner is responsible for fine

drunk driving caught and sentenced/fined, automaticly 6 months wait for renewal of DL. No points needed

Well that just depends on your negotiating skills wink.png

Thanks for the response anyway, maybe someone else will have a thought..

Geezzz I posted more then this yesterday, I wonder what happened to the rest of the response? :huh: I doubt it was edited by mods there was nothing obnoxious about it and no mention of it being edited huh.png ..

pffft. Not many BIB's that won't take an oppt'y to stuff their shirt pocket with your 100 Baht notes. I'm not at all concerned about the points system smile.png

Even if you did become a victim of it, 200 Baht is enough tea money for not carrying your D/L. Just don't have an accident unless you have a passenger that can say they were driving ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

And if you did have any points, the nice police staff at the station will happily erase any points accrued on your license for a fee.

However when I got this offer, they failed to note I was collecting my British license. angry.png

Now there is a business idea, lol

Maybe but I'd still like to know for my own edification, aren't you curious? And without knowing the boundaries how would know when to take some evasive action to avoid a suspension..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Maybe but I'd still like to know for my own edification, aren't you curious? And without knowing the boundaries how would know when to take some evasive action to avoid a suspension..

I think I remember it was 18 points back when it was in the news, but I'm on the pay as you go plan, so I guess it's errrr, point-less?

I think I remember it was 18 points back when it was in the news, but I'm on the pay as you go plan, so I guess it's errrr, point-less?

No way, since the infractions mentioned were 30 and 40 points respectively so it's much more then 18 points as a starting point..

If I know I will be fined, I use my homecountry DL. No points scored on my TH DL, but they get their commision, so everyone happygiggle.gif