First Trip To Thailand

marmite

I am travelling to Thailand from Canada for the month of February (2-27). This will be my first time and I am so looking forward to it! Luckily I will be meeting up with a buddy of mine who is currently travelling in the Phillipines, he has been to Thai a couple of times before so he should make a good knowledgable travel partner :o

I was hoping that I could get some suggestions for a travel intineray. Right now all I know is that I plan on spending a couple of days in Bangkok before heading to Koh Samui area for some island hopping. I want to attend the full moon party on the 14th and apart from that I am pretty unsure. Good thing I still have a few months of planning time :D I only have a month and want to make the most of it and not spend too much time commuting around the country

I am a guy in his late 20's and looking for beaches, partying and women. In no particular order :D

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.......greatly appreciate it!

If you wanna chill out after the women and the partying, Koh Tao is a nice bet since your in the area. Good diving and snorkelling, not massive nightlife but got a bit going for it, ideal for a chill out. :D

Hmm, I always recommend Kanchaburi as well, another chill out zone and one of me fave places in Thailand. Nice place to rent a motorbike out and get one on one with the countryside. :o

I am travelling to Thailand from Canada for the month of February (2-27).  This will be my first time and I am so looking forward to it!  Luckily I will be meeting up with a buddy of mine who is currently travelling in the Phillipines, he has been to Thai a couple of times before so he should make a good knowledgable travel partner  :D

I was hoping that I could get some suggestions for a travel intineray.  Right now all I know is that I plan on spending a couple of days in Bangkok before heading to Koh Samui area for some island hopping.  I want to attend the full moon party on the 14th and apart from that I am pretty unsure. Good thing I still have a few months of planning time :D  I only have a month and want to make the most of it and not spend too much time commuting around the country

I am a guy in his late 20's and looking for beaches, partying and women.  In no particular order  :D

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.......greatly appreciate it!

Travel light, it will be heating up when you arrive so the obvious shorts and t-shirts are a must. You can buy most things out here, particuarly when you arrive in Bangkok.

I am pretty sure your friend will be more than capable to show you a good time if he has been before. I've personally never been to Samui, but my friend has been a handful of times and loves it.

It's important you come to Thailand with an open mind, because you will definetly see some things which are going to be quite a shock personally.

If it's beaches you're after, the island hoping in the south as you stated is a good idea, some lovely beaches in southern Thailand. Bangkok will offer you good partying and certainly women, if you're after it. Pattaya might also appeal to you, although I wouldn't reccommend you read the 'Pattaya' forum as their is nothing but negative comments in there, although I'm pretty sure the people who post in their love it.

As previously mentioned, Kanchanaburi is in my mind, a must. It's easily accessible, about 2 hours from Bangkok and is definetly a place to see some spectacular Thai countryside, best viewed by motorcyle too, they're rediculously cheap to rent out for a few days or however you desire.

I'm sure you'll love it here, and will be back for a second helping, Enjoy !!

Oh, bring protection :o

Thanks for the info thus far! Would you recommend spending a few nights at least in Pattaya and Phuket before heading to the islands (Koh Samui area)

My buddy seems to prefer that part of Thailand...Koh Samui etc. but I want to be able to see as much as possible and not miss out on anything as I won't be able to go back for quite some time.

I have 3 and a half weeks in the country but as we all know time can fly when you are having fun! I want to cut down my commuting time as much as possible

I am a guy in his late 20's and looking for beaches, partying and women.  In no particular order  :o

I remember very clearly my first visit to LOS. I had no idea what to expect either.

I visited the touristy areas during the day, the rice barge tour, the floating markets, the royal palace etc. but at night, I just loved the excitement of the red light districts. I lost count at the number of different go-go bars and massage parlours I visited during my short trip.

At the time I thought that there was no better place in the world than Bangkok. That was until I visited Pattaya.

Pattaya is so much more relaxing. Accommodation is cheaper, the night life is better with longer operating hours.

Bangkok is the business district and it is a bit too hectic and too formal for my liking.

Pattaya is a holiday destination. Short pants, singlets, thongs and sunnies. It is so much more relaxing, but it never loses its feeling of excitement.

As you have only three and a half weeks, I suggest you see some of Bangkok. Four to five days maximum. Take in at least one day time tour, and let your hair down at night.

Pattaya has grown around its night life. You said you wanted to party, well Pattaya is party central.

The beaches are a bit ho-hum, Jomptien probably being the pick. Koh Samet is only a bus and ferry trip away. The beaches there are excellent.

I suggest you find a hotel that has a good swimming pool. You will probably spend more time swimming at the hotel than at the beaches. (That's if you get out of bed before 2pm each day)

I suggest that you plan to spend the remainder of your holiday in Pattaya. Three weeks will go fairly fast.

Good shopping, great restaurants and some VERY friendly locals, all determined to make your stay enjoyable.

You can always return to Bangkok if you find it better than Pattaya, (it's only 1.5 hours away) but I doubt that you will.

If you start travelling to other areas, you will lose too many days sitting in bus stations, airports etc.

Keep those other places for next year.

You could go to Phuket, not that far from Samui, you will find nice beaches lots

of women, and all the partying you can handle.

Phuket is a bit more expensive than some of the other places, but it's still my favorite holiday destination in Thailand.

Forget Koh Chang and Samet, if you've only got 3 weeks here then don't waste time on those islands becuase they are a bit rubbish really and the nightlifes pretty non existant.

Get further down South for the quality island experience.

Pattaya definately worth a visit, just coz its so eye opening really, but if you are short of time, a few days there will do; don't make it your whole holiday coz there's plenty more in Thailand to see.

Phuket and Krabi also well worth a visit.

Forget Koh Chang and Samet, if you've only got 3 weeks here then don't waste time on those islands becuase they are a bit rubbish really and the nightlifes pretty non existant.

Get further down South for the quality island experience. 

Pattaya definately worth a visit, just coz its so eye opening really, but if you are short of time, a few days there will do; don't make it your whole holiday coz there's plenty more in Thailand to see.

Phuket and Krabi also well worth a visit.

Yes there isnt any nitelife per say on Koh Samet/Koh Chang that is quite correct hence "CHILL" :o

Edited by britmaveric

Thanks for all the awsome info guys. Here is tentatively what I plan on doing thanks to what you have all suggested.

Fly into Bangkok stay Feb. 2-4

Head to Pattaya stay 4-7

Head to Phuket stay 8-12

Head to Koh Samui 13th

Full Moon Party on the 14th

Island hop 15th-25th

Back to Bangkok 25th for a bit more shopping

Fly out of Bangkok on 27th

Since I don't have a ton of time I am wanting to fly where possible unless one can do the commute between destinations within less than 4/5hrs.

Maybe you could recommend the best ways for me to travel between each area, or possibly I need to tweak my itinary a bit still. Thanks again for all your suggestions :o

Ok, I'll have a pop at this, though it might not be the best route:

Bus to Pattaya from Esatern Bus Terminal takes about 2-3 hrs.

Head to Pattaya stay 4-7

Fly to Phuket from Pattaya.

Head to Phuket stay 8-12

Fly to Samui from Phuket.

Head to Koh Samui 13th

Island hop 15th-25th

Boats of course needed here. If you end up on Koh Tao, take a boat onto Chumpon and take another flight to BKK. If you end up in Koh Phangan take a boat to Surat Thani or Samui and fly back from there.

Ok, adds a bit of money to your trip but it does save you a lot of time. If you want to make it a bit cheaper then take the bus across from Phuket to Surat Thani and take the boat to Samui.

I'd be inclined to recommend that anyway, the scenerys beautiful down there and sometimes travelling though Thailand is just as nice as arriving somewhere.

Good luck, sounds like a top trip. :o

Not a completed site yet but this Thailand Travel site might help you with some travel tips on getting around and on destinations.

Gotta plug it somehow! :D

Edited by bkkmadness

Ok, I'll have a pop at this, though it might not be the best route:

Bus to Pattaya from Esatern Bus Terminal takes about 2-3 hrs.

Head to Pattaya stay 4-7

Fly to Phuket from Pattaya.

Head to Phuket stay 8-12

Fly to Samui from Phuket.

Head to Koh Samui 13th

Island hop 15th-25th

Boats of course needed here. If you end up on Koh Tao, take a boat onto Chumpon and take another flight to BKK.  If you end up in Koh Phangan take a boat to Surat Thani or Samui and fly back from there.

Ok, adds a bit of money to your trip but it does save you a lot of time.  If you want to make it a bit cheaper then take the bus across from Phuket to Surat Thani and take the boat to Samui. 

I'd be inclined to recommend that anyway, the scenerys beautiful down there and sometimes travelling though Thailand is just as nice as arriving somewhere. 

Good luck, sounds like a top trip. :o

Not a completed site yet but this Thailand Travel site might help you with some travel tips on getting around and on destinations.

Gotta plug it somehow! :D

I get into BK at 8pm. I'm thinking about possibly headin straight to Pattaya from the airport and skipping out on my first few days in Bangkok. Would this be advisable after such a long flight haha?? That way I could leave Bangkok until the end of my trip and gain a few more days at a location of my choice. All i really wanted to do in Bangkok was visit the temple as well as do a bit of shopping and get a couple suits made up. Is the shopping as good in my other destinations?

Also....whats a rough estimate of what I'll be spending on flights with this travel plan. Thanks everyone you have been a great help!

Without posting my link again, I have a shopping section on that site I gave you, it may provide some info for you that helps. I would say Bangkoks the best place in Thailand for it, if you go to the right locations. Pattaya, Phuket and Samui will be higher priced I would have thought.

Others here will give you the best tips on getting to Pattaya direct from the airport. I think they do a bus straight there but not to sure. If not a taxi may set you back 2000 baht (?). Not too sure on that, again, more advice on my site, but a bit too late now (4am) here for me to go through it and find it.

Flights will be in the region of 2000-3500 baht a go. Check www.airasia.com and probably better for you www.bangkokair.com. There are some others to use like Nok Air of Phuket Airlines but haven't got their web addys to hand. Do a search on them.

If this isn't the best route how can I tweak it to make it better?

Cover all my costs and I'll be your guide! :o

Edited by bkkmadness

I'd leave BKK til the end of your trip. Go to Patters straight after your flight. Book a private limo service 1500>2000 BHT w/tolls. Or grab a taxi upper level and negotiate. I know personally I'd rather have a person waiting with sign waiting w/my name on it rather than barter after a long flight. Up to you though. Advantage - no traffic getting to Patters late at night.

Edited by britmaveric

Head to Pattaya stay 4-7

Head to Phuket stay 8-12

Head to Koh Samui 13th

Island hop 15th-25th

You will get a brief look at parts of Thailand with this plan, but you won't get to know each place well and you will sacrifice relaxation.

You won't have time to unpack your bag as you will be constantly preparing yourself for checking out of your hotel and heading for the bus/taxi/plane/train/ferry.

You will spend a good amount of time travelling between locations. Not good if you like to party hard into the early hours of the morning.

If you haven't pre-booked your accommodation, you will sacrifice more holiday time walking around at each location looking for an available (and half decent) room.

You need to ask yourself, "Will I be available to tour Thailand next year, or the year after?"

If the answer is "Yes," then cut your plan to just two, maybe three locations and get to know what these places have to offer.

As for buying your suit, tailor prices in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket are pretty much the same, but if you want your clothes to fit you exactly, give the tailor plenty of time to make the suit and to make any necessary adjustments at each fitting session.

Head to Pattaya stay 4-7

Head to Phuket stay 8-12

Head to Koh Samui 13th

Island hop 15th-25th

You will get a brief look at parts of Thailand with this plan, but you won't get to know each place well and you will sacrifice relaxation.

You won't have time to unpack your bag as you will be constantly preparing yourself for checking out of your hotel and heading for the bus/taxi/plane/train/ferry.

You will spend a good amount of time travelling between locations. Not good if you like to party hard into the early hours of the morning.

If you haven't pre-booked your accommodation, you will sacrifice more holiday time walking around at each location looking for an available (and half decent) room.

You need to ask yourself, "Will I be available to tour Thailand next year, or the year after?"

If the answer is "Yes," then cut your plan to just two, maybe three locations and get to know what these places have to offer.

As for buying your suit, tailor prices in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket are pretty much the same, but if you want your clothes to fit you exactly, give the tailor plenty of time to make the suit and to make any necessary adjustments at each fitting session.

How do the beaches compare in Phuket to the Koh Samui area? I am sure the party life is similar?? Maybe I should just stick to one of these areas this time round to fully enjoy what they have to offer and venture to the other area when I return at some point during the next few years.

HAHA.....guess I am easily persuaded but your post seems like a more logical way of doing things this time round....thanks for the suggestion. Just want to make the most of my trip. :o

As for the suit.....i will find a tailor at the beginning of my trip either in Bangkok or Pattaya and pick it up on my way home.

Thst a very good point Might Mouse has made, why not skip on Phuket and spend that time on Samui.

Brit, id he haggles for a taxi, cost roughly the same right? Get the Limo then, travel in style.

They do have some kind of bus service to Pattaya from the airport or not? In case the guy is budgetting.

Talk to your mate first and see what he wants to do..you may have different ideas.....I agree all that commuting and you wont relax, I can also assure you that once you have been there it wont be long before you go back.

Sort it out with your mate, relax and have a good time

Thst a very good point Might Mouse has made, why not skip on Phuket and spend that time on Samui.

Brit, id he haggles for a taxi, cost roughly the same right?  Get the Limo then, travel in style. 

They do have some kind of bus service to Pattaya from the airport or not?  In case the guy is budgetting.

Need get from the airport to bus terminal. It's much cheaper, but to be honest never took it myself. After long arse flight - I just want to get in a car and get where I'm going, however if you are on a budget its certainly the cheaper way to go.

I concur I'd stick to 1-2 destinations, always see more when you come back. Patters/Phuket or Patters/Samui then hit BKK at the end.

Brit, id he haggles for a taxi, cost roughly the same right?  Get the Limo then, travel in style. 

They do have some kind of bus service to Pattaya from the airport or not?  In case the guy is budgetting.

Need get from the airport to bus terminal. It's much cheaper, but to be honest never took it myself. After long arse flight - I just want to get in a car and get where I'm going, however if you are on a budget its certainly the cheaper way to go.

I concur I'd stick to 1-2 destinations, always see more when you come back. Patters/Phuket or Patters/Samui then hit BKK at the end.

And you WILL be back. Its an addictive country! :o

And you WILL be back. Its an addictive country! :o

You can say that again, i say, you can say that again :D

How do the beaches compare in Phuket to the Koh Samui area?  I am sure the party life is similar??  Maybe I should just stick to one of these areas this time round to fully enjoy what they have to offer and venture to the other area when I return at some point during the next few years.

As for the suit.....i will find a tailor at the beginning of my trip either in Bangkok or Pattaya and pick it up on my way home.

The beaches in Patong are far superior to what you will find in Pattaya. I have never been to Koh Samui so I can't comment on the beaches there, but from what I have heard they are great.

Accommodation in Phuket is expensive when compared to accommodation in Pattaya. You are advised to pre-book your hotel.

Phuket is the preferred destination by international travel agencies. It may be that they regard it as being more family orientated as compared to the expansive red light districts of Pattaya, or perhaps they get a bigger commission from the expensive hotels.

Bar and drink prices are pretty much the same in Phuket and Pattaya. Bangkok is more expensive again.

I regard Phuket as very good for daytime activities. A bike ride around the coastline will bring you to some fantastic and fairly isolated beaches. During my visits there the water was clear but there seemed to be some kind of mite in the water that regarded my skin as lunch. I itched for ages after getting out of the water.

I found the night life in Phuket/Patong disappointing. It is nothing compared to Pattaya.

Pattaya revolves around its night life although over the last few years, various daytime attractions have become available.

However, if you party hard in Pattaya, you won't wake up until the afternoon when your room maid knocks on your door wanting to clean your room. You then have enough time to have brunch and a dip in your pool before you need to get ready to hit the party trail again for that night.

From Bangkok to Phuket you will need a plane. If you can arrange to get off your international flight and onto your domestic flight to Phuket on the same day, you would have done well.

From Bangkok to Pattaya is far easier as you have already read in this thread.

For your suit, you will need at least two fittings following the initial measure. The first fitting is the bare bones fitting for the jacket, minus the sleeves. If nothing major needs to be altered, the second fitting is usually final.

The second fitting entails the completed jacket and the trousers.

There are numerous cases where the second fitting extends to a third fitting for various reasons.

So my advice is, don't expect your suit to fit perfectly if you intend to rush in at the beginning of your trip, and rush back to pick up your suit upon departure. Give the tailor time to get it right and make yourself available for the fittings.

Head to Pattaya stay 4-7

Head to Phuket stay 8-12

Head to Koh Samui 13th

Island hop 15th-25th

You're itinerary sounds good with the exception of Pattaya. Personally, I'd take out Pattaya as it doesn't have really anything you don't have in the other locations, plus nothing really substantial to add. eg Phuket has MUCH, MUCH bettter beaches (but not much of a party scene, but you don't need that when you get some nice R&R. Koh Samui/Koh Phangang has much better partying... Full moon party should also be good, but I've heard they've been regulating it recently so be careful... Shopping/restaurants leave for Bangkok. Sorry, but when I think of Pattaya, I always think old tourists and young prostitutes... Not my scene if you ask me...

not trying to offend anyone, maybe it has changed...

Edited by jl_333

Far as Patters goes - its a great spot. It has everything you can ask for and a tremendous nightlife apart from the naughty side. Plenty of young lads about as well as old geezers. :o

Beaches - take a speedboat out to Coral island or short daytrip to Koh Samet. (wouldnt recommend swimming in Patters beaches though)

Edited by britmaveric