Thai Bank Account & Expired Visa

TV,

What would happen to any investments or bank accounts when your visa expires? Would they still be save if you left the country for a few months/years after your visa expired and then returned?

Also, I recall that I had trouble exchanging Bhat into "hard" currency in LOS. I think I had to use a thai national and used her to make the exchange, can t recall. Is there a limit in how much bhat can be changed into "hard" currency?

Thanks

Edited by TheKeeNok

Visa expiration is not a problem, nor is leaving the country for a few months. After a long time (Yr+) your account may go dormant if there is no usage(get online banking and debit card before you leave).

I've never had a problem converting to bills and you should not be hitting issue with maximums unless you are talking crazy money. In this case you will be much better served just wiring the funds to your other account.

Visa expiration is not a problem, nor is leaving the country for a few months. After a long time (Yr+) your account may go dormant if there is no usage(get online banking and debit card before you leave).

I've never had a problem converting to bills and you should not be hitting issue with maximums unless you are talking crazy money. In this case you will be much better served just wiring the funds to your other account.

Thanks

Cannot talk for other Banks. If with BBL your account remains open. If the balance is below 2000 baht and has been inoperative for 12 months, a 50 baht per month fee with apply at that time until the account is either reactivated or reduced to zero when it closes.

Visas and work permits have NOTHING to do with bank accounts. Same if you are in thailand or not and same with banks throughout the world: If you don't use them they eventually go dormant. Not really rocket science.

Visas and work permits have NOTHING to do with bank accounts. Same if you are in thailand or not and same with banks throughout the world: If you don't use them they eventually go dormant. Not really rocket science.

Try opening an account without one of those two items mentioned (WP/Visa).

Also if you ever require a new bank book or new card you have to take your passport and bank book with your for verification that the account is yours.

If leaving for a few years just take your passport on returning to the bank and all will be okay

Edited by beano2274

Visas and work permits have NOTHING to do with bank accounts.

True, but was told otherwise by staff at BKK Bank inside Big C Ratchadamri. They looked at the stamp on the white ( departure ) card and told me "sorry you can't make a withdrawal because the bank of Thailand's regulation states that you should have a valid visa at the time of withdrawal." After pouring insults on them, I showed them my visa and took all my funds from the account.

1) Easy to open an account without visa/work permit (SCB)

2) Anyone that remembers the history of BKK Bank will remember that they stole multi millions of baht from customers accounts . It was a disgruntled ex employee and what do you think they did to compensate?