Prices For Motorbike Rental

siouxzen

When I first arrived in Chiang Mai, everyone told me that I could rent a motorbike for 2000 baht/month. Several expats recommended Bikky and a few other outlets to try for a reasonable price. After trying these stores and several others, the lowest rate I could get for even a very beat-up Honda Click was 2400 baht/month for three months from a small stand near Moon Muang. Most quoted 3000-3500 and were not especially willing to go much below.

I am doing something wrong? Or have prices just gone up? Is the 2000 baht/month motorbike a thing of the past, or do I just suck at negotiating?

I'm honestly completely disinterested in buying, since I really don't know a lot about bike repair or signs of wear and tear. I'm willing to pay a little extra to rent for at least six months or so to avoid the burden of ownership until I understand bike mechanics and the registration/greenbook process better.

2000 baht used to be the going rate but that was for the 100-125 honda wave/dream. The click if I am not mistaken is auto start and automatic. Anything automatic will be more. I think if not mistaken that 3000k (maybe 3500) a month was what my friend paid for the fino automatic.

If you don't speak any Thai or don't have an actual residence, it will be hard to get the best price. If you are going to stay at least 6 months or a year, I suggest buying second hand and then reselling when you leave. You will sometimes get the same amount you paid for when you resell. At most it might be about 5-10K difference but that is a lot cheaper than 2-3k a month for 6 months.

I'll be interested in replies here too as I'm in exactly same boat as OP. I'm looking for small automatic, again for maybe 3 plus months.

Again, I'm not mechanically minded and not to keen to get into ownership responsibilities, but I look on that Citylife classifieds page for a decent 2nd hand auto. If I found one at a good price I'd probably take ownership plunge.

If I could get one for 2K baht PCM, I'd just do that though.

that 2,000 baht price was for the older gear change bikes like a Honda Dream or a Honda Wave. I guess these older bikes are still available for hire if you search about. the newer auto bikes command a higher price (cos they cost more to buy), more in the 3,000 baht range for a long term rental.

my wife has bikes for 2000 baht she also has an old honda wave which is getting rented out tomorrow and an old mio which is also getting rented out tomorrow but because they are so cheap they are always the first to go as soon as they come back .

Also my wife has 50 bikes but because she is the cheapest we are always the busiest and we also deliver to most places in chiang mai up until 11pm at night free of charge .

Edited by rakchaingmai

Try to negociate, when you pay for X months upfront (say 3 months) , a discount is accepted and expected. Shops are not open to negociate in the high season (but you can always try of course)

Last couple of years prices have gone up quicker than before. As long as foreigners are willing to pay, why not jerk up the price... ;-)

Who would rent when you can buy and then re-sell and recover almost all of your money?

I agree with that but many visitor's (on tourist visas) are initimidated by the paperwork process demanded by Immigration and Licence Office. And for only a few month's visit it's really not practical. 6 months is the about break even time.

2000 baht used to be the going rate but that was for the 100-125 honda wave/dream. The click if I am not mistaken is auto start and automatic. Anything automatic will be more. I think if not mistaken that 3000k (maybe 3500) a month was what my friend paid for the fino automatic.

If you don't speak any Thai or don't have an actual residence, it will be hard to get the best price. If you are going to stay at least 6 months or a year, I suggest buying second hand and then reselling when you leave. You will sometimes get the same amount you paid for when you resell. At most it might be about 5-10K difference but that is a lot cheaper than 2-3k a month for 6 months.

Who would rent when you can buy and then re-sell and recover almost all of your money?

Are you people who are buying used bikes just buying them wihout registering and then offload the bike before you go? or are you registering the bike?

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app.

Me! My insurance covers rentals. I don't want to register it and go through the paperwork. I won't know for another 4 months if I'll be in the area long-term, or if I'll be moving on. I don't want to deal with the resell process. I know nothing about bike mechanics. Paying slightly more to rent rather than own over that amount of time is worth it to avoid all of the other issues.

Thanks for the input, guys.

I guess I'll not even bother going to places with only newer automatics outside if they're going to be 30% more expensive no matter what...