Honda Cb400 Vs Honda Cb750

dagling

I've been looking for a pretty and well-maintained Honda CB400 for a while. But now has come across a couple of bikes that seem to be in very good condition from the pictures and description.

Both have all the papers and the Green Book. Both are registered in 2003.

So, how much difference is there on these bikes? CB750 costs about 20,000 more.

Some experiences and advice?

The CB400 has the vtec2 engine. I dont know what engine in the CB750, it do not say in the ad.

post-84957-0-77840700-1328328291_thumb.j

post-84957-0-52473400-1328328310_thumb.j

Edited by dagling

for just 20k extra i would probably take the 750

unless of course yoou dont need so much power ,then get the 400 and its plenty fast

about 53 HP and good solid pull from the engine right up to 170+

they are both great bikes tbh

for just 20k extra i would probably take the 750

unless of course yoou dont need so much power ,then get the 400 and its plenty fast

about 53 HP and good solid pull from the engine right up to 170+

they are both great bikes tbh

Big differences in fuel consumption? What about spare parts?

It is difficult for me to tell. The Honda CB750 was produced from 1969 to 2003. There are alot of different variations in the model. With Thai registration, it goes from the date the bike was registered, not the bike's model year. So if is registered in 2003 it could be a 1997, or whatever year. You need to know the specific year to figure it out how much power it makes. Just because it is an extra 350cc doesn't necessarily make it much faster. According to wikipedia (I know Wikipedia is not always right, but I looked at other sources too) the bike probably makes 75 hp (this is the maximum cb750 hp I could find). The lightest weight listed is 463 lbs dry weight.

The CB400 VTEC 2 makes 53 horsepower. Dry weight is around 370lbs per internet specs.

So for 20,000 baht you get about 20 hp more...and you also get 100 lbs more weight. I don't think that the cb750 is going to be that much faster than a cb400.

The CB750 was developed for export and sales to the USA. The CB400 was developed for the Japanese home market which has the 400cc displacement cap. I would check them out in person, but I believe that the CB750 is a physically larger bike. The CB400 should be more nimble.

neither of them are built for outright speed but they both have plenty of speed for carrying 2 persons as fast as you need to go

i think 170k is a bit too expensive though ,try and get down a bit on the price

particulary if its a model from the 90s and not 2003 like it says in the ad , kawasaki 650's are starting to get that cheap and theyre

just from 2009/2010 so dont throw out shitloads of money for a bike thats 10-20 years old

Here is some more photo of the CB400... Looks nicelicklips.gif

Hey Dagling the 400 sure looks sweet.

Ridden 400 and 750 a fair bit in mid to north Thailand.

I reckon 1-up on the twisties the 400 is more fun. You will have to change gears a bit more often and not be frightened to keep the revs up if you like hustling. In a situation where you're riding hard I would imagine fuel consumption would be similar between the two. An earlier poster said 'nimble' - good word. Straight roads or touring 2-up I'd lean towards the 750.

It's horses for courses. I tour with pillion and luggage on my 1200 Triumph when I visit home in Oz, a track day I couldn't work more than a 400. What riding are you planning? BKK to CNX on the little one gets tedious but on the scratchies I reckon I could hold or beat the 750 with a rider of similar standard.

I love my XJR400 in LOS except on straights. Best tyres. brakes shocks, sweet exhaust (an earlier thread...) and can really work the bike more than I could my 1200.

Did I say the 400 sure looks sweet?

Andrew.

Edited by andrew55

Looking at the pictures, I like the CB400 better. The CB750 looks like an older model. The CB400 looks like the newer model, and has alot of aftermarket goodies on it. Get the 750 if you plan on touring long distances. If it is for BKK, I think the cb400 is a better fit.

i think 170k is a bit too expensive though ,try and get down a bit on the price

I didn't see the price listed here, but if 170k than that's very expensive compared to the Kawa 650s that are available for less than that, with a warranty remaining!

its not listed here in this thread but i saw the ad myself and i remembered that bike (750)