Landlord Breaks Rental Lease - Need Advice

My landlord lied and said that the building I was renting in was sold and gave everyone a 90 day eviction notice. Some of the people living in the building (who had one year leases) had just moved in a month before they got the notice. Does anyone know what the law is regarding landlords breaking rental leases and evicting tenants? I know that In the states, the landlord would have to pay for the moving costs, etc. for breaking the lease; is it the same here?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I understand that my lease still stands, but everyone was forced to move out under duress; including us. Also the landlord/owner who said that the building had been sold is demanding rent money be paid to her, not the new owners for the last month we lived there and when I asked for an invoice she refused. Do I have any legal recourse against her? BTW she also kept my deposit.

did you have a gun to your head while you paid rent after moving out and forgot to get the deposit back? sorry couldnt resist seems to me you moved without being evicted by the court, so volunteerly

you could always try to get your deposit back, but deposit is often less than a court case cost

did you have a gun to your head while you paid rent after moving out and forgot to get the deposit back? sorry couldnt resist seems to me you moved without being evicted by the court, so volunteerly

you could always try to get your deposit back, but deposit is often less than a court case cost

No, they did not put a gun to my head; yet had they done that I would not be here asking for rental lease advice because I would be too busy looking for criminal lawyer to defend me giggle.gif

The reason we left without our deposit was due to the unbearable living conditions that the landlord inflicted upon everyone there. Electricity and water was turned off for hours a day, people coming into the apartment when we were not there, etc. And guess what? The police do not do anything, shocking isn't it? BTW I say that with extreme sarcasm.

It looks like that my legal options are limited, thanks anyway.

Unfortunately your legal options are always limited here in Thailand, since no lawyer will work on a contingency basis and with the way the system works your loss would have to be really substantial (over 100,000THB) to even think about going to a Thai court

We all love the freedom that Thailand offers us expats, unfortunately, that freedom comes at a personal cost

• 1 month later...

Aww someone's a Mr. grumpy gills. Wake up on the wrong side of bed?

A timeless saying, "when you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all" but i guess you have nothing better to do with your life than troll the internet.

Aren't you a little old for for such childish games?

You know it doesn't cost that much here to have that stick surgically removed, might wanna give that a thought...

Aww someone's a Mr. grumpy gills. Wake up on the wrong side of bed?

A timeless saying, "when you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all" but i guess you have nothing better to do with your life than troll the internet.

Aren't you a little old for for such childish games?

You know it doesn't cost that much here to have that stick surgically removed, might wanna give that a thought...

Oh! The irony! hit-the-fan.gif

Edited by WarpSpeed

My post wasn't just directed at him. It seems on every post theres someone who has to come in and be a Butt Head. It doesn't matter who they are or what they've done, he just so happened to get pointed out because after about 6 post of people just being nasty and rude and thinking they are clever and witty, i got frustrated (which wasn't smart but as we all know, 19 year olds aren't really known for keeping their cool) and it was more of a "maybe people can think of what they say instead of trying to make everyone think they're cool and post some smart a** response to something that is a serious matter. "

Regardless of what he has done there are so many people that just like to come on and "troll" people. I always thought, If you don't know the answer keep you mouth shut.

I don't think they world is made of sunshine and daises but in all honesty, I am so tired of being craped on. (Not implying that you guys are, just in general)