How Frequently Do You Have A Road Accident?

ThaiPauly's was worse than mine, since someone got badly hurt. But since he raised the subject, the other afternoon - in a taxi travelling at over 140kph on a usually-busy street, into the back of a near-stationary car pulling out of a soi. I can't understand how none of us were hurt. First words out of my friend in the back were, "So, is this the first accident you've had here?"... "No, about 4th I guess"... "So once per year..."

I've only been here 5 years, and most of that lived beside the BTS. Everyone I know has been in a couple of crashes....

I've only been in one serious crash in Thailand.

We were all VERY lucky to be alive to be honest. I was on the back of my Dad's pickup with my Stepmum and some of her family, it was pretty dark out and we were almost home. But a car with no lights hit us causing me and my Stepmums brother to fall out the pickup.

I landed on the road and my Stepmum's brother landed in a ditch. We both escaped with cuts and grazes but it could of been a lot worse. I thought I was a goner to be honest but we were both very lucky.

Edited by Ice Maiden

i have some accidents whiles i drive(per year)

many people said ..bambi ... u act like a girl .. but needless to drive like a girl and phunk other car.. :D:D

im trying to do not drive when i drunk ..always have accident .. :D

but i have a good memory ..

one time i got drunk , i park my car beside the road....vomit , nap .. etc

police check up .. and talk with me

cops - " girl ..what's wrong? ..."

me -' im ok .. i just cant drive.. need a break"

cops ' no worries ...we will bring u home..u re just a nice person .. u take a break after drunk ..are u ok? get rape?"

me -" no ..still virgin for today" :o

u guys could not imagine how QUEEN is it!!!

some cops ride thiers moto-bike infront of my car

one cop drive my car

(when i wake up i got 100000000 bumps from mozzies) :D:D

heheehheheheheh .. i was a VIP !! :D

Edited by BambinA

I've had 3 minor accidents in 3 years; twice I have been waiting at traffic lights, and idiots forgot to stop, third one I was waiting to turn left at a junction, and an idiot forgot to stop. They just don't look where they're going.

5 years of driving and i've had 2 accidents, but both times i wasn't in the car.

the first time i was parked on the hard shoulder of the expressway in BKK after getting a puncture. I was walking to one of those orange phones and a lorry decided that it would be a good idea to overtake on the hard shoulder. Another lorry thought he'd follow suit, and so did a merc with a monk in the front passenger seat. it was quite a big pile up but luckily no one was hurt.

i was about 20 yards away and it was like watching it in slow motion. the funny thing was the police tried to suggest it was my fault for having a puncture. good thing my insurance guy told them where to shove it.

the second time was while i was parked in a hotel car park. the idiot who had parked next to me put a huge scrape in my car as he was pulling out.

touch wood i've never hit anyone yet.

However, here in Phuket Town, there are so many motorbikes, most of which drive like they are invincible. I think its pretty much inevitable that i'll hit or be hit by a bike one day. :o

I have never had an accident here in almost 4 years of driving in Bangkok. (Touch wood) However, an accident is at least an annual event for the GF! 3 out of 4 were her fault... not looking where she was going, and rear ending someone. She was talking on the phone one time.

I'd really like to see the handsfree cellphone law passed here. I see people driving and talking on the phone every day. Gotta wonder how many accidents every day are attributable to cellphones?? I'd bet that the number is at least 20% and actually more like 50%.

Has to be costing the insurance companies a bundle. You would think that they would be pushing for this! The cops would like it too... another stream of revenue (read:tea money).

I'd really like to see the handsfree cellphone law passed here. I see people driving and talking on the phone every day. Gotta wonder how many accidents every day are attributable to cellphones?? I'd bet that the number is at least 20% and actually more like 50%.

I certainly agree with a ban on driiving-while-talking.

I recently read of such a bill being discussed in Parliiment, but I wouldn't count on it to ever come to actual enforcement....

Never mind a ban on using a cellphone while driving a car. The number of people i see in Phuket chatting on their mobiles while riding a motorbike defies belief!

What are these people thinking???

And lets not get started on people who ride their bikes down the wrong side of the road at night without any lights on. :o

I never had a serious accident, lucky me. Quite a few close calls, though - including one time riding down beach road and a little girl just RAN straight off the footpath and across the road right in front of me. I still shudder thinking what could have happened if I'd cleaned her up... Just a few KPH faster and I may not be here telling about it...

<whew...>

I'm one of the lucky ones who has never had an accident... <touch wood>

I think that a lot of my luck can be attributed to the driver training I had in the West, before coming to Thailand. Predictive and defensive driving is IMO the key to avoiding an accident.

It's a pity that the level of driver education isn't the same here.

Another problem that doesn't exactly encourage good driving, is the lack of enforcement of the road rules by the BIB... all the training in the world can be thrown out with the dish water if the road rules aren't actively policed.

I think that a lot of my luck can be attributed to the driver training I had in the West, before coming to Thailand. Predictive and defensive driving is IMO the key to avoiding an accident.

Another problem that doesn't exactly encourage good driving, is the lack of enforcement of the road rules by the BIB... all the training in the world can be thrown out with the dish water if the road rules aren't actively policed.

Jai Dee, you have just been lucky, like Ajarn, and may your luck continue (and Ajarn's)...... I am as careful as they get, but if someone slams into your arse, bang there goes your 100% record..... Don't flatter yourself that you are a good driver because of your driving skills, they count for nothing if someone rear-ends you do they?

Jai Dee, you have just been lucky, like Ajarn, and may your luck continue (and Ajarn's)...... I am as careful as they get, but if someone slams into your arse, bang there goes your 100% record..... Don't flatter yourself that you are a good driver because of your driving skills, they count for nothing if someone rear-ends you do they?

Very true ThaiPauly... I am well aware of the luck factor.

Sorry to hear of your accident.

i have  some  accidents whiles i drive(per year)

many people  said ..bambi ... u act like a  girl .. but needless to drive like a  girl and  phunk other car.. :D  :D

but i have a  good  memory ..

one time  i got drunk ,  i park my car beside the  road....vomit , nap .. etc

police  check up .. and  talk with me

me -' im ok .. i just cant drive.. need a  break"

cops ' no worries ...we will bring u home..u re  just  a  nice  person .. u take a  break after drunk ..are u ok? get rape?"

me -" no ..still virgin for today"  :o

u guys could not  imagine how  QUEEN  is it!!!

some  cops ride thiers moto-bike  infront of my car

one  cop drive my car

(when i wake up i got 100000000 bumps from mozzies) :D  :D

heheehheheheheh .. i was a VIP  !! :D

No offence Bambina but this is no laughing matter.

Do you realise how many people get killed each year by idiots driving whilst drunk ?

I have a friend that lost her husband & another friend put in a wheelchair just because some bloody idiots thought that it'd be OK to drive whilst drunk.

Would you be able to live with yourself after killing/maiming someone ?

many people  said ..bambi ... u act like a  girl .. but needless to drive like a  girl and  phunk other car.. :D  :D

cops ' no worries ...we will bring u home..u re  just  a  nice  person .. u take a  break after drunk ..are u ok? get rape?"

me -" no ..still virgin for today"   :o

one  cop drive my car

heheehheheheheh .. i was a VIP   !! :D

Do you realise how many people get killed each year by idiots driving whilst drunk ?

I have a friend that lost her husband & another friend put in a wheelchair just because some bloody idiots thought that it'd be OK to drive whilst drunk.

Very true Pedro, it is no laughing matter, I am still suffering because the kid I hit is still in hospital 3 days after the accident, even though it was not my fault and the nice people here on TV have told me not to worry, I can't HELP it! I am worried and I still feel guilty for some crazy reason, thinking what on earth did I do wrong to make him slam into the back of me, why on earth would he DO THAT, drunk or not... I suppose I wint find out till we next meet at the police station :D

Ok, poll bashing time!! 18 posts and nobody has made a serious effort yet to criticize the poll-question or poll-options yet! :o anyway: It doesn't make a difference between cars and motorcycles, or take the severity of the mishap into account! :D

I had like 2 mishaps in 10 years or so.. both very very minor. (well, at least very minor for me and my truck. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

I'm another lucky person, been here almost three years and never had an accident, Anyway, the way people drive here has made me a very good defensive driver, but on the other hand as Jai Dee puts it touch that wood. I've had lots of close calls here in Pattaya. Almost every day on the motor bike. I saw an accident today where one person on a motorbike was stopped waiting for traffic as he was pulling out of a petrol station when a man probably drunk pulled into the station as if the other guy wasn't there. Bang, the man that was probably drunk flew off his bike onto the groung while lauphing. that's why I thought he might have had too much to drink at 11 am in the morning.

Barry

No accident yet ( just knocked on wood) but I ve had more close calls here in 2 years than I ve had in 24 years of driving in Canada.

I see people (including my wife) making terrible mistakes e-v-e-r-y day.

Today, again, a motorcycle coming from a side road almost knocked me over as he never looked to see if there was oncoming traffic. This is the most common one I see.

As long as they don t have police officers catching drivers commiting infractions on the spot, Thailand will never see the annual body count get much lower.

Had a serious accident once.

Didn't see the truck in front of me. :D

I was driving 60km/hr the truck was doing 15km/hr with no lights on at 10pm.. :D

BangkokBaker - did the cops still try and pin the blame on you?

Yes, since there was no proof that the guy was driving at a slow speed and my car was stucked in the back of his truck.

The truck driver even didn't t had a drivers license. :o

Police was friendly though,went to the police station,filled out a few forms they were telling me that my driving license could be picked up two weeks later..

However staying polite and friendly to the officers, the time I left the police station the officer on duty returned my driving license very discreet. And without paying any "additional fees" :D

me -" no ..still virgin for today"  :o

one  cop drive my car

heheehheheheheh .. i was a VIP  !! :D

[/quote

Pedro, you should take offence, I do, this silly little girl/boy, whatever spewing out this crap (and making a joke of it) is NOT FUNNY.

Bambina, get a life, save a life, use a fukcing CAB for Christ's/ Bhudda's sake, if you can afford it. If not use Skytrain, MRT or your hairy legs

I have several stories. Once I was driving on a very busy four lane highway late at night. I had a Thai engineer from where I worked with me. There was a guy crossing the road and I VERY nearly hit him. The Thai engineer asked me what I would have done if I had hit him. I told him I would have stopped to see if I could help the guy. Prasong told me that it would have been my fault and I would have had to pay. He told me the guy was obviously drunk and if I ever hit someone like that to keep on going. I don't think I could do that.

Another day I was going home from work and a fat approximately 30 year old lady did a doggy dart right out in front of me. She never looked and naturally I hit her. I was going slow because everyone was getting off work and there was a lot of traffic. Because I was going slow she wasn't seriously hurt. The police came and someone took the lady to the hospital. They confiscated my car until I settled up with her. I immediately called the company I worked for and they sent the Thai driver to take me home. He picked me up the next morning to take me to work and that afternoon he wanted me to go to the hospital with him to see the lady. We got to the hospital and walked directly to her room. No one was in the bed. We soon heard singing in the bathroom and out she came. As soon as she saw us she started limping and got a pained expression on her face. The driver was grinning at her and then at me. He shook his finger at her and they started talking. I ended up paying her 10,000 baht so she would sign the release to get my car back. My insurance company paid the hospital bill. I still have no idea why I had to pay her since I had insurance.

The last time I was trying to park in a public lot and a bar girl on a beat up old motorcycle ran into the back of me. I didn't even feel a bump but I heard the yelling. I got out and her motorcycle was lying on the ground. I was going to pick it up but she and the guys who suddenly materialized wouldn't let me. I figured I was screwed and was trying to negotiate with her even though it was obviously her fault. She wanted 3,500 baht. I offered he 1,000 and she refused. The cops came by then and one of them picked up the bike. There were some scratches she pointed at and the police told her that that had rust on them. One of the cops pushed her mirror straight and grinned at me. He spoke good English and asked me what I wanted to do. I told him I had an appointment and just wanted to get out of there. He told me to give her 500 baht and then I could leave. She was yelling and the cop basically told her to shut up and that 500 baht was too much.

The majority of Thais are terrible drivers, but they all blame it on some one else. Some of my Thai friends are atrocious drivers. When I comment to them that the roads are very dangerous due to the bad drivers they agree with me and laugh about it.

Every time I have a BBQ or party at my house the Thais get drunk and then drive home. I have tried hard to have them take a taxi, but they just laugh about it. I even sat them down and explained that they might kill an innocent person. To this they laugh again and say they were only traveling 10km home so they would be ok.

One of my Thai friends has had half a dozen accidents over the last few years, some of them being serious. He has a large scar on his face from one accident. He continues to drink and drive and laugh about it, as do his friends!

A Thai guy that I know, and is a terrible driver, told me that he taught his 65 year old father to drive in 2 hours. His father then set of to drive a 200km journey with only this 2 hours driving experience. When I said that his father could end up killing some one he just said ‘yes’ and had a good laugh. The guy is very bright and well educated. What are these people thinking?

Just like BanbinA they don't seem to grasp the concept of safety or the difference between life and death for themselves or anyone else. Essentially when it comes to these matters they are like children. Children or very, very stupid adults.

I had an accident in september. Fisrt accident in 5 years , other accident was 8 years ago.i was make a left turn onto a road after getting the green light. And a faraang, that i kno had a red light decided to make a ILLEGAL right turn to the parking lot of a corner shop and struck my Hilux in the front passanger bumper area.I picked up my hand phone and allerted the authoroties. His put his window down as to speak to me, saying he called the police and they said we should move our vehicles, but i was not going to because i knew it was a lie. I pretended just not to understand wut he say and put my window back up. the authoroties get there and he makes this hilarious story, that i turned on the road, but yet he admits turning in my path, but then tells the tum-rhout , that i slowed down and then sped up when i saw his car because i was in a truck!!!. Then Told on to how , i yelled at him and his wife and attempted to start a fight wiff them. His speaking i found hilarious , i think the cop was gonna laugh. there was witnesses, why make a story like that. Anyway he was sited and put in jail , after i gave my statement and his car towed, i dont kno wut else happened after that , i was told to continue my shopping or see a doctor and was given insurance papers information.

The majority of Thais are terrible drivers, but they all blame it on some one else. Some of my Thai friends are atrocious drivers. When I comment to them that the roads are very dangerous due to the bad drivers they agree with me and laugh about it.

Every time I have a BBQ or party at my house the Thais get drunk and then drive home. I have tried hard to have them take a taxi, but they just laugh about it. I even sat them down and explained that they might kill an innocent person. To this they laugh again and say they were only traveling 10km home so they would be ok.

One of my Thai friends has had half a dozen accidents over the last few years, some of them being serious. He has a large scar on his face from one accident. He continues to drink and drive and laugh about it, as do his friends!

A Thai guy that I know, and is a terrible driver, told me that he taught his 65 year old father to drive in 2 hours. His father then set of to drive a 200km journey with only this 2 hours driving experience. When I said that his father could end up killing some one he just said ‘yes’ and had a good laugh. The guy is very bright and well educated. What are these people thinking?

Just like BanbinA they don't seem to grasp the concept of safety or the difference between life and death for themselves or anyone else. Essentially when it comes to these matters they are like children. Children or very, very stupid adults.

Maybe yu should go back where yu come frum then? westerners always want to flock here and then complain that we are not like them, we we are not , we are thai, we have our OWN culture and beleifs , unlike westerners who just seem to want to leech off of other ethnicities , and then complain .

/snip

i did not drive that time.... i parked my car beside the road

and i knew (even i drunk) i'd not drive(and i 'd not kill or hurt anyone)....thats why i park ...... :o:D

Pedro, you should take offence, I do, this silly little girl/boy, whatever spewing out this crap (and making a joke of it) is NOT FUNNY.

Bambina, get a life, save a life, use a fukcing CAB for Christ's/ Bhudda's sake, if you can afford it. If not use Skytrain, MRT or your hairy legs

whatever u spelling ..call me lil boy or girl ..i just dont care

get a grip old man .. i just try to make a joke from my experience..if u dont wanna laugh..just dont do it

BUT obviously i did not drive that time coz i knew i'd not ...(and never driven after drunk any more... just park and donate my blood for mozzies)

and for whatever's sake ...i dont have hairly legs as your old wife.. sorry :o

i did my best ...no drive...

understood??

I am still suffering because the kid I hit is still in hospital 3 days after the accident,

FYI .. i have never ever hit any animal nor human. :o

and it wont happend

don't drink when drive

drunk no drive

:D sorry i dont wanna offense u .. i like u as an uncle...and i mean that