Emirates Boeing 777-300Er

pattayadingo

I made exactly the same point about 20 posts ago.

As for flat noses. I go to LOS with Thai Airways. Why fly Lufthansa or BA? You can do that in Germany and great britain. No pleasure for me taking off from London Heathrow to go to BKK in a BA plane. I get on a plane to get out of great britain.

Emirates, Etihad etc etc etc are just compromise for me. Price and no hanging about at the halfway point are the reasons I use them. But no real joy.

Never a joy to fly for that length of time. Shortish stopovers to me are a blessing. stretch your legs a bit. Buy some duty frees. Have a look round.

I've never chosen a flight with more than 2 hrs 20 mins stopover. And that to me is just enough time in case their is a delay as there was landing at Dubai after circling for 30 minutes. Anly longer than 2 or so hours would be a right pain, for me at leastas airports re never the best places to spend time.

Another way to save time is on-line check-in. With Emirates it is 3 hours before the flight normally. Yet with on line check-in that was reduced to 1 hr 30 mins.

Thai has generally better food and good service, but is let down on the London route by the lack of seat-back TVs (if you're in economy).

BA is OK if you're under about 5'10", but over 6ft and their seats in economy are not comfortable (putting it mildly).

I like Qatar airlines, although Doha airport is a bit basic. I also like Emirates, especially as they let you start watching TV before take-off and often have power sockets in the seat. I also like their 30kg weight limit for hold luggage...

But I actually find myself flying Qantas a lot.. - better planes than BA while still avoiding a stopover, and if you use the BA website to book it, you avoid having to go in to their office in Silom. (That I can book and pay for it online on another airline's website but not on their own is just weird.)

My best travel in economy would be, I think, ANA though. Getting to Narita from Tokyo is a pain, and I do wonder about putting an airport that far from the city, but still imposing a curfew on night flights..., but Japanese people seem to expect a better level of service. (Even Thai has had seat back TVs on their Japan flights for years).

I got very severe neck pain, which took 6 months to recover from, after flying long distance in the new Boeing Aircraft. The problem being that in the Boeing Economy seats you cannot watch the entertainment system without leaning your head forward (i.e.no support). The Airbus seats allow you to watch the screen with your head supported i.e. ergonomically designed. I sat on one flight in business next to the Chief Pilot of Qatar Airways and he told me that there were quite a few complaints. Following this up I found that a new Japanese seating manufacturer had been employed by several airlines and considerable problems had been experienced with quality that has resulted in a replacement of the seats and the cancelling of further orders to that manufacturer. So these complaints are well founded, and the Airlines say that they are already fixing the problem.

Seats vary from airline to airline, even on the same aircraft types. Sometimes to save money airlines will even scavange seats from retired aircraft.

So you have flown by Sri Lankan Airlines! I flew business class with fully reclining seats. However they looked like they had made them in a back street fabrication shop. In economy on one flight the seats were so ancient they looked almost like up market deck chairs!

I was told that they had bought some ancient aircraft from British Midland and Cathy Pacific. The TV screens were very small and much the worse for wear. They told me that they were buying brand new Airbuses so they would be replaced soon. The consolation however is that Bangkok - London Return in December was only B25,500 compared to Qatar's B42,000 and Emirates B46,000. Also the luggage allowance is 30kgs.

I'm amazed anyone would fly Thai economy with no seat back TV twice. I've only flown with them once in business and the food was awful.

Seems to me that Thai have completely lost the plot with some very old aircraft flying the routes and sky high prices; have they ever heard of 'competition'? The best flying experience for me has been the A380, both in economy and business classes on Emirates. Also like Emirates weight policies and free golf clubs carriage - amazing what you can stuff into a golf bag carrier when you try and they don't weigh it. I didn't like the 777 ER at all, even in business class; horrible seating arrangement goodness who designed it but there guide dog wants shooting and even though you boarded first you then had all the economy passengers traipsing past you to get on, which I thought was ridiculous.Only problem for me is the stop over with Emirates and the very very crowded and noisy lounges especially the business class lounge - announcements ever 15 seconds drive me mad, but hopefully as previous op has said they are in the process of building a new terminal for the 380's. Just hope that they turn the bloody speakers down. Qatar also good in my opinion, but haven't flown with them for about 3 years.

Just back today and flew three aircraft with Emirates.

Outbound the 777 was fine but then I was in business for the 1st leg.

2nd leg was economy on the A380 and als o on the 1st return leg. I just could not get comfortable and spend an arkward 7 hours.

The last leg was an A330 and even though the seat pitch was less I was more comfortable and I slept. Can't work that one out.

A problem with the A380 is that the fusulage is far away from the window seat and so you can not lean into the window to prop a pillow and sleep. A small shelf running the lenght would make the comfort level far better.

Have to say I found Emirates to be seriously inefficent and not up to their hype at all. I expected much more from them.

Edited by harleyclarkey

I'm amazed anyone would fly Thai economy with no seat back TV twice. I've only flown with them once in business and the food was awful.

Well, be amazed that some folk, like me, don't care about seat back TV. I am happy to read a book, or doze.

I have always found the food in business quite OK - and the wine selection very acceptable.

But I have to say that I recently flew Qatar business from Doha to Bangkok, and their service blew the socks off TG

Especially their ground handling (business) when connecting (DOH compared to BKK)

TG lets you deplane first onto a big bus where you wait ages whilst the bus fills to sardine can density, then unloads you to a concete hole from where you walk forever to find your connecting gate.

Qatar deplanes you to a minibus and whisks you to a dedicated terminal where you are immediately in the lounge and assisted to your connection.

Or maybe that was just a lucky one-off.

J.

Seats vary from airline to airline, even on the same aircraft types. Sometimes to save money airlines will even scavange seats from retired aircraft.

For sure. Nothing do do with airplane, it is to do with an airlines required fittings, plane and simple.

Best seat l was ever comfortable in, what ever class l have been was BA mid class, can't think of the name but it was a step up from economy.

Well, be amazed that some folk, like me, don't care about seat back TV. I am happy to read a book, or doze.

I have always found the food in business quite OK - and the wine selection very acceptable.

But I have to say that I recently flew Qatar business from Doha to Bangkok, and their service blew the socks off TG

Especially their ground handling (business) when connecting (DOH compared to BKK)

TG lets you deplane first onto a big bus where you wait ages whilst the bus fills to sardine can density, then unloads you to a concete hole from where you walk forever to find your connecting gate.

Qatar deplanes you to a minibus and whisks you to a dedicated terminal where you are immediately in the lounge and assisted to your connection.

Or maybe that was just a lucky one-off.

J.

Nope that's normal service. They just opened a new biz lounge at Heathrow Terminal 4 which is similar to the Doha lounges. All we need now is one at Bangkok and I'll never fly any other airline to Asia.