Thai Police Checks If Going To Work Elsewhere

ice1318

Often the Embassies of the countries you are destined for require a Thai Police check which is reasonable enough if you've spend

a considerable amount of time here.

This was my recent experience from January of this year.

You have to attend the Royal Thai Police HQ on Rama 1, Bangkok. The nearest Skytrain is Siam Square.

I initially tried in Khon Kaen and was advised this was only possible in Bangkok. Fair enough.

The service is free.

When attending please be aware this HQ is a sprawling place and whilst I found all the Thai police to be helpful many couldn't understand what I was asking for. Asking for a criminal records check won't do it.Repeat the words "Police Clearance" as often as possible and hope for the best. Better still be organised (unlike myself) and bone up the Thai vocab.

Once you enter the office

(1) complete an application form

(2) provide your passport for inspection

(3) have your fingerprints and photograph taken there and then

(4) confirm the country you are going to work in.

A previous post I had read said that you had to provide photographs. You don't.

The same post said that you could pay a fee and the police would expedite the search. You can't.

They normally advise you to return 2 to 3 weeks later to collect

Collection was painless and took 10 minutes. Ultimately you get a certificate that says you have been well behaved and this addressed specifically to the Embassy of the country you are going to work in.

One other great tip is to double check you actually need it. Don't rely on advice from agents or well meaning third parties. Saudi Arabia where I'm on route to does not require a police check!

Good luck.

Not that I need to avail myself of this service , it is in my view an extremely helpful post to those who need such documentation.

Perhaps it could be pinned under the sticky section?

Unfortunately, I can't do that. I can only delete or repost it under my name, which I will do. If it is a new topic, then it can moved to another forum, but not moved to another location within the forum.

Thanks for the suggestion.