East/West Cultural Conflicts

mackes

I am relatively new to Thaivisa but am amazed of the massive amounts of posts claiming that Thai's are ignorant, stupid etc etc. Even about Thai's bad treatments of westerners in resorts.

What I would like to know is if this is related to regions and if so how. I believe I can see a larger amount of complaints from the most exploited and tourist intense areas like Phuket, Pattaya, Chiang Mai etc. Am I wrong or do we have a larger amount of conflicts there and if so why?

I myself live in the country outside Nakhon Rachtasima and yes, there are conflicts but not more than I can see wherever traveling and meeting other culture. Education is of course an issue but educated people should be able to oversee that issue when meeting uneducated people and "talk to farmers at farmers' way". Or are we seeing conflicts with uneducated people on both sides?

In the main I have found surprising little resentment from Thais at a personal level both at the very superficial level in tourist destinations and at a closer level when living in Isaan for several months - certainly far less than I would have expected from what I read TV though I am sure we all have different experiences and I probably don't pay as much attention to what is going on around me as some.

One thing I will mention is I find an odd expectation that, as immigrants, we expect to be welcomed with open arms when experience from our own countries shows us that it is very unusual if not unheard of for immigrants to be viewed as such.

• Like 1

One thing that I noticed when crossing the border from Thailand to Cambodia; when I entered from the Cambodian side to the Thai side, the touts, tuk tuk drivers etc, were shouting "YOU,YOU, YOU," followed by chatter with the word "falang" mentioned every other word.

When I entered Cambodia from the Thai side I was met by the touts and drivers with "excuse me sir, do you need a ride?" "Pardon me sir, are you looking for a hotel?"

I'm pretty sure the Thai drivers are more educated than their Cambodian counterparts.

• Like 1

When I entered Cambodia from the Thai side I was met by the touts and drivers with "excuse me sir, do you need a ride?" "Pardon me sir, are you looking for a hotel?"

I'm pretty sure the Thai drivers are more educated than their Cambodian counterparts.

Funny you should say this, I have lost count as to how many times I have been met by these exact words when I step out of my car in Thailand. "tuk tuk?" "taxi?"
  • Like 2

I think we shall bear in mind that Thais are not formed in advance by colonials

as Cambodia and most other Southeast Asia countries, their behavior is often

formed by tourists. In the tourist world a native can earn money even if being

rude, something that was impossible in the colonial systems.

I disagree, I think it is because the Cambodians genuinely want foreign tourists in their country; they want their money AND, they want people to have a high opinion of Cambodia and its peoples.

A concept virtually lost on Thais.

• Like 1

1. " but am amazed of the massive amounts of posts claiming that Thai's are ignorant, stupid etc etc. Even about Thai's bad treatments of westerners in resorts."

Usually these types of western people bring it upon themselves.

2. " What I would like to know is if this is related to regions and if so how."

Yes probably and you have answered the question with :- " I believe I can see a larger amount of complaints from the most exploited and tourist intense areas like Phuket, Pattaya, Chiang Mai etc."

3. " Am I wrong or do we have a larger amount of conflicts there and if so why? "

No your not wrong because there is usually a higher number of western people who do not understand cultural differences.smile.png

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

Attitude, attitude, attitude.

In the 'Farang' populated areas you tend to get more loud, sometimes foul mouthed, smelly foreigners and that taints many of us with the same smell. Many foreigners tend to expect to be understood and get frustrated when they are not. Patience is the key. Talk slowly and use hand language too.

Out in the sticks I have found that Thai people tend to be more tolerant and also that the foreigners tend to be the same way.

Being polite, patient and having the right attitude helps. After all, Thai is their language and culture and that is how they live. We need to adapt.

As far as I am concerned, it`s more of a West meets West conflict.

Over my 30 years of living in Thailand, the most amount of hostility I have received has been from other farangs.

When I first arrived in Thailand I was extremely naive. Actually used to smile at other farangs when out and about believing I would get a smile back as with the Thais. Sometimes I would attempt to say Hi, or hello, have a nice day, especially when in remote areas where one does not normally see other farangs. Not because I was looking for a new best friend, but just out of politeness. I soon came to realise that after constantly receiving the invisible treatment or an acknowledging grunt or a hostile stare back, that I was wasting my time, so why bother?

Out in public I’ve had them let doors slam in my face when they have been in front of me entering or exiting a shop or mall. Push me out the way with their trolleys in supermarkets. Even on the roads they drive as if they own the highway, the big cheese with they’re fancy 4-wheeled drives.

It is a complete different scenario with the Thai people; I have rarely experienced any extreme impolite Thai people. Of course they are around, but far and few between from my experience.

These days if and when I happen to be in the same space as another farang, I just ignore them completely.

For me Thailand is number one and for those that knock it, I ask; why are you here?

It's a pity that Thailand wasn't colonized by the Brits, Chiang Mai nearly fell under the spell and the US agreed to hand control of Thailand to the UK after the last war however some idiot campaigners in Congress had the agreement over-turned.

As per usual the Americans marched right up to the top of the hill then tumbled down a cliff.