My New 4S Takes Pictures Upside Down

2008bangkok

Doh!

Mate why dont you save the wise cracks for another post, we are trying to have a discussion here which is what forums are all about,

Are you using the default Windows photo importer? The one where, when you plug your iPhone in, the 'AutoPlay' dialogue comes up? When you click 'Import Pictures and Videos', and the 'Import Pictures and Videos' dialogue box appears, there's an 'Import Settings' link on the bottom left - in that there's a check-box to 'Rotate pictures on import' - is that checked?

I wasnt using that option no but I have tried it and if i do it that way then it will rotate all of them before importing them, nice find cheers, looking at the MSDN post it seems maybe windows is at fault after all and they should fix this problem in windows 8 , i guess i can hide the problem in my head for the time being until it is fixed, still annoying that i cannot just open up apple Iphone in My Computer and then automatically rotate but there you go...

Edited by 2008bangkok

I still have a problem with photo orientation when I email photos from my phone directly to my father. He says they are upside down. I have learned that is because the volume buttons are on the top. I now hold the phone upside down with the volume buttons on the bottom and he can see the photos correctly

Doh!

Mate why dont you save the wise cracks for another post, we are trying to have a discussion here which is what forums are all about,

Are you using the default Windows photo importer? The one where, when you plug your iPhone in, the 'AutoPlay' dialogue comes up? When you click 'Import Pictures and Videos', and the 'Import Pictures and Videos' dialogue box appears, there's an 'Import Settings' link on the bottom left - in that there's a check-box to 'Rotate pictures on import' - is that checked?

I wasnt using that option no but I have tried it and if i do it that way then it will rotate all of them before importing them, nice find cheers, looking at the MSDN post it seems maybe windows is at fault after all and they should fix this problem in windows 8 , i guess i can hide the problem in my head for the time being until it is fixed, still annoying that i cannot just open up apple Iphone in My Computer and then automatically rotate but there you go...

I was an avid jail breaker on every iOS version right up to iOS 5 last year. For some, jail breaking is about getting the phone to do that little bit more, or do what it already does a little bit better, as opposed to being able to install pirated apps. In the beginning, it was mostly about cut, copy & paste - which didn't appear natively until iOS 3.0 in June of 2009 (but when it did appear, Apple's version was a much more elegant and refined implementation than any of the 3rd party attempts) and MMS, which appeared in the same release as cut, copy & paste. Again their implementation was like it had always been there. There are still some tweaks that I used while jailbroken that I would like to have, but I'm happy enough with iOS 5 to let them go until Apple decide to

Why do you not jailbreak anymore, does it use more battery?

First, I’d like to apologize for my previous comment, it was not my intent to offend anyone, but mealy a failed attempt to interject a little humor. I’ll attempt to be more serious in the future.

That said, assuming there is a problem with the phone and the upside-down photos or what-not, if I had to guess, I would think it is related to whatever it is the rotates the display when you rotate the phone.

Have you tried using someone else’s phone and not gotten the same results?

Have you tried taking it back to where you purchased it?

It rotates them all?? That's stupid. I tried it last night on my Windows 7 VM, and all 1658 photos on my iPhone that were taken on previous models (3GS & 4) and OS versions were imported correctly; however, the 623 that have been taken since iOS 5 weren't imported at all - to came up with an error. It must have had something to do with the orientation metadata, but being a VM, it could have had a different result from a 'proper' windows.

I still have a problem with photo orientation when I email photos from my phone directly to my father. He says they are upside down. I have learned that is because the volume buttons are on the top. I now hold the phone upside down with the volume buttons on the bottom and he can see the photos correctly

That would be because he's opening therm on a Windows machine (I hope). I was actually going to suggest holding the phone upside down yesterday when saying how I used to hold the phone; I tried taking a picture using my left thumb, and it actually feels not too weird! Stupid unnecessary solution I know, but...

Why do you not jailbreak anymore, does it use more battery?

No it doesn't. To be honest, I got sick of the cat & mouse game - each time Apple released a new OS version, even a minor update, they would invariably patch the exploit that allows the jailbreak; then the dev-team would work to release a new bug-free exploit - which could take months, which might not even work for my computer's OS/my iPhone OS/my baseband/etc., in which time Apple could release a new OS version, and around we go again.

I wanted iOS 5 - particularly for iMessages (living in Thailand, being able to message my iOS 5-using friends back home for free has been a godsend) - and I wasn't prepared to wait for the iOS 5 jailbreak in order to get it (which was only released to the public three weeks ago). In the interim, I've gotten used to doing stuff the Apple way, and don't really feel any need to jailbreak just yet. A lot of people will jailbreak in order the get a software unlock from their phone's carrier, I've not needed this, and only ever jail broke for a few ever-decreasing tweaks, which I can really live without.

Well here is the interesting thing i just noticed while I was watching a Youtube video using the app, that when you watch a video the default way to show you is with the volume buttons at the bottom so that means either the default for Youtube is upside down or that you are meant to view stuff in landscape with the home button to the right in which case the camera is correct its just Apple didnt think about that and adjust accordingly when they announced that with OS 5 you could use the volume up button to take pics

Well here is the interesting thing i just noticed while I was watching a Youtube video using the app, that when you watch a video the default way to show you is with the volume buttons at the bottom so that means either the default for Youtube is upside down or that you are meant to view stuff in landscape with the home button to the right in which case the camera is correct its just Apple didnt think about that and adjust accordingly when they announced that with OS 5 you could use the volume up button to take pics

I totally agree with you. I actually noticed the YouTube orientation too. It would not surprise me at all if this solution was simply a reaction to the jailbreak community, who had already been doing this with tweaks such as CameraButton and SnapTap, and had never really planned to do this - as the iPhone was always meant to be held with the buttons on the bottom. Take a stroll through any of the iPhone ads on YouTube, and every single instance of the phone being turned to landscape, it is done so by turning the left-side down (that is, of course, until they allowed the volume button to control the camera...).

So the problem is that Windows 7 can't get the metadata right? And Windows 8 fixes it?

cheesy.gif

Yes, partly because Microsoft refused to respect a 10 year old international standard, and partly because chose to release iOS 5 without enabling a fix (which is something they could have done). I wonder if Mr Jobs had relinquished most of his control when this decision was made...