Warning!

bkkmadness

Actually, had quite a result coz checked me statement and see what my balance was and worked out me cash and didn't notice it was over so just settled with that. I thought I'd done it all myself. Found the dodgy transactions after, got them refunded and now an extra 500 quid up from what I though I was a few hours ago! Lovely jubbli. :o

Actually, had quite a result coz checked me statement and see what my balance was and worked out me cash and didn't notice it was over so just settled with that.  I thought I'd done it all myself.  Found the dodgy transactions after, got them refunded and now an extra 500 quid up from what I though I was a few hours ago!  Lovely jubbli. :D

Time to ring the bell at the local!! :o

Actually, had quite a result coz checked me statement and see what my balance was and worked out me cash and didn't notice it was over so just settled with that.  I thought I'd done it all myself.  Found the dodgy transactions after, got them refunded and now an extra 500 quid up from what I though I was a few hours ago!  Lovely jubbli. :D

I've just gave up otherwise I'd be on the beer right now. :D

Holiday money though! :D

Prob better that way - instead of literally pissing it away!!! :D

I know credit card companies have been trying for years to change the rules regarding distputed transactions in australia.

if you dispute it they will credit you back the amount then it is up to them to prove fraud.

redgum had a funny song about using your CC quite a few years ago - 1985 song by Redgum, "I've Been to Bali Too"

Thought it was after new year? :D

Nope, started early. My only time I will allow myself to drink is on holidays/visa runs coz Penang without booze aint worth thinking about. :D

Now all I gotta do is get me brother to pick up a bottle or two of Glenfiddich from the duty free on his way over. :D

Edited by bkkmadness

Nope, started early. My only time I will aloow myself to drink is on holidays/visa runs.

Now all I gotta do is get me brother to pick up a bottle or two of Glenfiddich from the duty free on his way over. :D

Pure madness :D

Heres a tip for you, it just one small measure you can take to help in some instances. Never sign your card, instead put PLEASE SEE DRIVERS LICENSE or some other form of pic id you carry. This will cover you for stolen card.

Another thing is NEVER let your card leave your sight, its a little bit of a pain in the ass but you can do it. There was a scam in a bunch of cities where org crime was giving modified electronic card readers to waiters/waitress where they would run your card through a small hand held device on the way to charging your card at the register. They would then turn it in to the crooks who would then download all the info needed to make fake cards.

Sure its a pain in the ass, and sure you might be in a store where "they say" the machine is in the back, but IMO if they wont let you keep your eye on your card dont shop there. In fact the credt card companies now have regulations about the placement of readers so if the store/hotel etc has it setup a different way and they start to take your card to some back office CALL THE CC company.

All online transactions that are legit are done on a secure server so they can track IP's etc.

If you're in one country and transactions are occuring in another Im amazed they did not put a hold on your card. Ive had instances where I was in one state one day and cross country later that afternoon where Ive had transactions prevented because the distance sent up a flag.

You can also request to have EVERY transaction sent to your email so you can check your email every day.

Nothings full proof, just dont let your card out of your sight. Also dont use independent ATM, only use bank ATM.

Edited by MilkPlus

Thought I had the same situation(s),

But most of the time it turned out to be a legitimate purchase.

I simply didn't recall it, (also the vendor/merchant name may appear different in the billing process).

I use my card(s) a lot (air miles) and seldom keep the receipts for small, routine purchases.

I had the card center produce copies and there was my signature, Doe !

Still though, it's a good practice and very easy to check your card activity on-line, I do often.

Thought I had the same situation(s),

But most of the time it turned out to be a legitimate purchase.

I simply didn't recall it, (also the vendor/merchant name may appear different in the billing process).

I use my card(s) a lot (air miles) and seldom keep the receipts for small, routine purchases.

I had the card center produce copies and there was my signature, Doe !

Still though, it's a good practice and very easy to check your card activity on-line, I do often.

You could probably set it up to notify your cell phone or blackberry, that would be kind of cool, see a transaction going on down the street and head down there with a few friends. :o

I just saw a story last night where the pizza delivery guy in Norway had wallet stolen and a few nights later he was delivering a pizza to a guy trying to use HIS credit card. The really stupid criminal part of it is that it had pic of cc holder on it and the guy buying pizza didnt notice he was handing it to the guy in the pic.

:D

If you're in one country and transactions are occuring in another Im amazed they did not put a hold on your card. Ive had instances where I was in one state one day and cross country later that afternoon where Ive had transactions prevented because the distance sent up a flag.
I was in the same country, about 5 mins walk away from robinsons actually.
You can also request to have EVERY transaction sent to your email so you can check your email every day.

Thats a great tip!

I think good idea of course to keep the card in sight, which I do, but of course they can still take the main number and the three digit number and scam you anyway, especially if they have a friend working at the other shop. The main number will be in the till with the rest of the receipts and they just take it down later when you have gone. Only need to memorise the three digit number.

In addition to the good advice already given about the use of credit cards, it is important that you maintain a clean computer at home.

Trojan keylogger programs can infiltrate your computer, record your keystrokes and send them to the hacker who spread the malware.

Ensure that you have competent anti-spyware programs installed on your computer and that the definitions are up to day, also be wary of computer repairers, especially if all your passwords are stored within the computers memory.

The best practice is to use your credit card only at a bank counter to withdraw CASH, then use CASH ONLY to make your purchases. Keep your credit card at home in the safe.

I think good idea of course to keep the card in sight, which I do, but of course they can still take the main number and the three digit number and scam you anyway, especially if they have a friend working at the other shop.  The main number will be in the till with the rest of the receipts and they just take it down later when you have gone.  Only need to memorise the three digit number.

You should scratch that number off to prevent internet purchases and wire transfers. Just make sure you memorize it or store it somwhere safe.

At "most" :o sites they recquire that, they certainly do for wire transfers.

You shouldnt need it at any merchants because its all on the magnetic strip.

You should scratch that number off to prevent internet purchases and wire transfers.  Just make sure you memorize it or store it somwhere safe.

this sounds like a good idea but i don't know much about credit cards. would it actually work?

the CVV code is required for online purchases but what about someone just keying your credit card number into the machine? do they still need the CVV code? and is it printed on the receipt after u have used it? if it is then they could just look at the receipt after you've gone.

I think good idea of course to keep the card in sight, which I do, but of course they can still take the main number and the three digit number and scam you anyway, especially if they have a friend working at the other shop.  The main number will be in the till with the rest of the receipts and they just take it down later when you have gone.  Only need to memorise the three digit number.

You should scratch that number off to prevent internet purchases and wire transfers. Just make sure you memorize it or store it somwhere safe.

It sounds like a wise idea to me as a precaution in any event.

I have never used a credit card for wire transfers, but when I have paid online with a card they always require my statement billing address.

Is that not always the case? :D

• 2 months later...

As several memebers have pointed out, the receipts issued here in Thailand have the complete number of the credit/debit cards printed on them. In the US (and I am sure in the EU) they only print the last four numbers of the card preceeded by 'X's. This has been standard practice for several years now.

I wonder why the credit card companies allow the full number to be printed on receipts here? And how can we get them to stop this practice?

I suspect much of the problems are caused by a hacking problem which is becoming quite prevalent here, and is the reason why many of the credit cards are going to a chip based system.

I cannot explain exactly how it works, but VISA Int have explained it to me several times (and I still don't get it ;-)

Somehow, various gangs are able to 'listen in' to the transaction giong through the phone line via the EDC, and get your details.

They can then go spending, with the data they got from the hack. presumably they do not have the sig, but if that is not checked at places they know, then they probably get away with at least some of it.

I am not sure that is what happened here though, location seems too close.

I would be rather surprised if it was Carrefour.... but then again......

Regarding the number and signature; is this not how most countries do it? You get a customer copy of the thing you signed with the number of your card on it and they get the signed copy?

As long as the merchant has that, then they have enough to go 'party time'; I've checked and my NZ receipts have the same thing; just one Korean receipt that does not..... and one Thai one that is confusing enough that it might not. All the rest have both exp and the number.....