My Review On The Samsung Galaxy Note

livinthailandos

I finally got a Note today.I was pondering between the Galaxy S II and the Note,but at 15.800 for the S II or 17.200 for the Note the decision was made quickly.

Now I'm in as to which 3G sim is best for me.At my home both AIS and Truemove H are available.

My current gsm sim is from AIS and I would like to keep this number since it over 10 years in use.

At my home I'm also dependent to 3G since ADSL is not available,so I have a router in which I will use an aircard.

My questions are as follows.

Can I keep my AIS gsm number if I change to True move.

Which is the best option if i want to use wifi as well.My location is Pattaya but I travel around a lot.

Can I have 2 Simcards with the same number,so that I can insert one in the phone and one in the aircard and in fact have only 1 contract to respect.

You can move your phone number to True. To any carrier now, but you have to have a contract with them.

Cannot answer about Pattaya. Never been there in 10 years of living in Thailand.

There are sim copiers, but I have never heard of them actually working. If both phones are on, do they both ring? I doubt it. Since you have the Note, download pdanet from google market and their Windows software. You can then tether your phone data to your computer. I do this often when TOT is bad. Free to tether, no need to buy tether apps.

You can move your phone number to True. To any carrier now, but you have to have a contract with them.

You can port either a pre-paid or post-paid number from any provider to any provider. There is no need to have a "contract".

http://www.truemove-h.com/en//mnp_faq.aspx

With Android 2.2 or higher you should be able to both tether (connect your Note to your computer via USB or bluetooth and use the 2G/3G modem) and use Mobile AP (create a Wifi hotspot) without using third-party software.

Some service providers offer multiple numbers on one SIM, and multiple SIMs associated with one number. Typically these are services associated with a post-paid, or contract, service:

http://vas.dtac.co.th/th/communication_p9.htm

http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/multi-sim.html

^ TrueMove H and AIS have national WiFi affiliations.

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/wifi/

http://www.truemove-h.com/en//3gwifi_network.aspx

Not sure what "best" means? Best service or or best price? Many, many people complain about TrueMove (H)'s Wifi performance, to the point that it is pretty much useless. I found it to be acceptable, for 3G replacement. AIS is affiliated with 3BB, I honestly can't recall any comments up or down on this service. Maybe have a search to get some more detail?

I finally got a Note today.I was pondering between the Galaxy S II and the Note,but at 15.800 for the S II or 17.200 for the Note the decision was made quickly.

Now I'm in as to which 3G sim is best for me.At my home both AIS and Truemove H are available.

My current gsm sim is from AIS and I would like to keep this number since it over 10 years in use.

At my home I'm also dependent to 3G since ADSL is not available,so I have a router in which I will use an aircard.

Which is the best option if i want to use wifi as well.My location is Pattaya but I travel around a lot.

Can I have 2 Simcards with the same number,so that I can insert one in the phone and one in the aircard and in fact have only 1 contract to respect.

17,200????

Gotta be a fake for that price, lol

I thought the note was selling @ 23,000 ?

Many box-shops in MBK are selling the Samsung Galaxy Note for 21,000. MSRP is 22,900.

17,200????

Gotta be a fake for that price, lol

Maybe,wanna buy for 18.200?

^ TrueMove H and AIS have national WiFi affiliations.

http://www.ais.co.th...einternet/wifi/

http://www.truemove-...fi_network.aspx

Not sure what "best" means? Best service or or best price? Many, many people complain about TrueMove (H)'s Wifi performance, to the point that it is pretty much useless. I found it to be acceptable, for 3G replacement. AIS is affiliated with 3BB, I honestly can't recall any comments up or down on this service. Maybe have a search to get some more detail?

Best could be translated into best coverage.I thank you for the links but their websites are soooo informative and foreigner friendly.

Is there anything like free wifi in Pattaya or other places,and then I don't mean the starbucks or mc donalds hotspots,but government or network provided free hotspots.I read some years ago that Pattaya city provided a whole network,but I think there was a cancellation of that already.

^ most of are accustomed to using Google Translate automagically from within Chrome.

Maybe Google "free wifi pattaya"?

Or start a new thread, maybe in this or the Pattaya sub-forum.

Back on topic, I think many are hoping to hear where you bought your Samsung Galaxy Note for 17,200 baht? Or perhaps we misunderstood your post?

You didn't misunderstand.it was seventeen thousand and two hundred Baht for a 100% original and brandnew grey import which I bought at MBK.

I understand that there can be issues with honoring the warrantee in Thailand but I have contacted the Samsung service center and they have a big signboard in Thai and English which says that they reserve the right to ask a service fee of 1000 Baht to honor the warrantee of a foreign bought mobile phone. Read " reserve the right ", since there have been reports where they don't make any charge.

So in the worst possible scenario,which is that I have issues within a year and they charge the 1000 Baht service fee, it will still have cost me 4700 Baht or 21% less than an oficial Thai version.Add another 1000 Baht profit in the most possible case where I have no problems within a year.

Nice review and best of luck to you. If your experience with Samsung is anything like mine, you will need a very expensive repair right after the warranty runs out. Then, when they change the model, support will stop altogther and you'll have to throw it on the junk heap where it will land along side my 2-1/2 year old $400 top-of-the-line YP-P3 32 GB MP3 player.

I would be delighted to hear from you in about 14 months.

lol funnily enough my samsung tv developed a giant line down it at precisely 14 months. In saying that my mate has two Hp monitors with similar lines and my 26K dell monitor also developed random lines but thankfully had a 3 year warranty. So I won't hold it against samsung

And where is the best place to buy from, I was recommended the Samsung store in Central? Pain in the arse getting there though, anywhere nearer Jomtien?

Many thanks,

Tom.

I saw a semi-full line of Samsung android products, including the Note @ Tesco Lotus in Chumphon Town. Tesco, Powerbuy, or JayMart should have them. Also, the major carrier shops like Telewiz (AIS), TrueMove, or DTAC may have them.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a Note, very impressed with it (last phone was a Nexus One). My early impressions are:

Positive:

* The screen is beautiful and responsive to the lightest touch. This is the first Android phone I've handled with a touchscreen as sensitive as an iPhone.

* The size is fantastic. Yes, it looks odd to start, but once you have used it you will find it very difficult to ever use a smaller device again. Typing out messages is easy and much more pleasant than the iPhone or Nexus, so you can actually get some meaningful work done on it. The size fits the functionality much better than a 4" screen, it just makes sense.

* Processor is up to the task and tonnes of storage, haven't run into any memory or space problems which were an issue with the Nexus.

Negative:

* If you are using the screen constantly, the battery life is a bit on the short side, which is not surprising given the huge screen, but I do wish they'd put a bigger battery in it.

* While Samsung's custom UI is improved in some areas, it is also worse in some. Overall I would just rather have the stock Android, and I look forward to the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade.

* The pen - I used to be a heavy Pocket PC user so I thought I would like the stylus, but this device is actually more finger friendly because of the screen size. There is no problem hitting the right keys with your fingers. The pen is useful for drawing and annotating screenshots, but it does have a tendency to start marking the page before the stylus actually touches the screen if you are holding it close.

* Sound quality on calls is average. Not bad, but not Nokia either.

* It wasn't cheap :)

Overall I'm extremely pleased with it and recommend it. For something you can slip in your pocket, the functionality offered is amazing. However, it is not quite big enough to replace a full tablet.

• 1 month later...

I want to update my review to say that the battery life on this phone is BAD. The screen chews power like crazy and so does the wifi. You really do need to leave it plugged in whether you be at work or home, so I recommend a dock. Apart from this quite annoying limitation, its just brilliant, except for the handwriting recognition which is poorly implemented - laugh if you will but the Pocket PC system was much more intuitive and user friendly.

For those of you still picking at your iPhone with your fat fingers I feel pity. You need a bigger screen man.

Edited by Crushdepth

@Crushdepth - if you want good handwriting recognition, check out 7Notes.

It has a handwriting input included called Mazec.

I don't use the 7Notes app, but I used the Mazec handwriting input method.

It is much better than the Samsung handwriting recognition.

Writepad is also good, but I find Mazec the best for my scrawl.

Edited by Riggi

I want to update my review to say that the battery life on this phone is BAD. The screen chews power like crazy and so does the wifi. You really do need to leave it plugged in whether you be at work or home, so I recommend a dock. Apart from this quite annoying limitation, its just brilliant, except for the handwriting recognition which is poorly implemented - laugh if you will but the Pocket PC system was much more intuitive and user friendly.

For those of you still picking at your iPhone with your fat fingers I feel pity. You need a bigger screen man.

I put mine on the charger each night when I go to sleep. Normally, I'll have battery power remaining in the 40's and 50's % range. Occasionally, I will do something that consumes more power and it gets low. But normally battery life is not an issue that causes me to alter my usage of the phone or seek a charge during the day.

I did have one time where it was sucking down the battery abnormally fast . . . like 3 to 4 times the normal rate. Don't know what it was, but I just powered down and restarted the phone, and the normal rate of battery consumption returned.

A lot of battery issues depend on your usage, and how you have the unit configured.