Bangkok Governor Ensures Safety After Triple Blast Incident

webfact

BKK Governor Ensures Safety after Triple Blast Incident

BANGKOK: -- The city administrative body installs more surveillance cameras in Bangkok to ensure security after the blasts last week in the capital.

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra said the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration or the BMA is ready to assist the Metropolitan Police Bureau and the National Police Office about handling security in the capital.

Sukhumbhand said the BMA has already installed 15,000 surveillance cameras across Bangkok and 10,000 more will be in place before the end of the year. He said trials have been conducted to see if the newly installed cameras can be integrated with those on private property.

The governor stated that he has instructed the BMA's City Law Enforcement Department and district offices to facilitate the police's work. He suggested that the police ask the BMA to install more cameras should they determine that the exiting ones are still not enough.

Sukhumbhand then asked people not to panic regarding the bombing and asked them to report to authorities should they observe any suspicious behavior.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-02-20

footer_n.gif

Local entrepreneurs set to boost tourism in Khaosan Rd.

BANGKOK, 20 February 2012 (NNT) – Business operators in Khaosan Road are determined to boost tourism in the area after facing a 30% drop in occupancy rate in the wake of last week's explosion.

Even though Khaosan Road is still bustling with tourists, entrepreneurs have complained that the three blasts in Sukhumvit 71 have resulted in a 30% drop in occupancy rate as well as in sales and services revenue, given that some western tourists are still concerned for their own safety.

Meanwhile, the Association of Khaosarn Road Entrepreneurs has indicated that it will need one more week to assess the situation and prepare a campaign to bring tourism in Khaosarn Road back to its normal state.

As an additional measure of confidence for both Thais and foreigners, the Chanasongkram Police Station has set up a checkpoint in Soi Rambutri on Chakrapong Road to look out for suspicious vehicles.

Meanwhile, the Lumpini Police Station has also put up a checkpoint in Soi Sukhumvit 19 near the Israeli Embassy in order to monitor the situation and inspect visiting cars and individuals, with the main focus on Middle-easterners.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-02-20 footer_n.gif

BKK Governor Ensures Safety after Triple Blast Incident

What was the third blast? #1 was thrown at taxi, #2 was intended for police but ended up blowing off his legs, #3 was ,....?

Edit: Doh. The blast in the house that sent them scurrying. "Never mind."

Edited by wpcoe

Polls: Blasts Hurt Public Confidence in Government

BANGKOK: -- A recent Suan Dusit Poll finds that respondents have less confidence in the government following the multiple blasts in Bangkok's Sukhumvit area last week. Meanwhile, an ABAC Poll shows that people are paying more attention to the US's warning about potential terrorist threats in Thailand.

In a survey conducted by Suan Dusit Rajabhat University asking people in Bangkok and the surrounding provinces their opinion about last week's blasts in the Sukhumvit area, around 60 percent of the respondents expressed less confidence in the government, saying the incident revealed negligence and incompetence by concerned departments and agencies, which makes them feel unsafe.

At the same time, almost 40 percent do not believe that the bombings would affect public confidence in the government, saying it is too early to lay blame on the government as the investigation is still ongoing.

They also believe the government would never have wanted an incident of this nature to happen in Thailand.

Approximately 45 percent of those surveyed admitted to feeling stressed and worried about their safety because they are afraid that such an incident could occur again.

About 35 percent stated that the blasts have hurt the country's image, economy and tourism, while 18 percent said they wanted to know the truth about the bombings and who and what group is responsible.

Meanwhile, an ABAC Poll found 64 percent of the respondents were concerned about terrorism threats and are paying more attention to the warning issued by US authorities.

The same group of people, however, felt less confident about information coming from the Thai government.

Most of the surveyees expressed concern about reports that Thailand is a potential terrorist target, which could have a tremendous impact on tourism and suggested that the government set up a war room to monitor the situation in Bangkok and other major cities.

Most politicians who were also polled believe the government will be able to handle the terrorist threat and stated that Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung is the person primarily in charge of overseeing the matter.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-02-20

footer_n.gif

yep this will do the trick.. you will now have more than one angle shot of the terrorist blowing up whatever he chooses including himself.

The answer is to spend the money on getting a decent counter intelligence section going and liaise and take stock and have credibility in international counter intelligence circles.

Instead of the "it will never happen in Thailand bs" ( witness that goose who made statements re Pattaya a few weeks ago) start getting into the 21st century and get a few good men trained overseas and heading up a smart division.

Its just so Thai to think the solution is to install more security cameras....I mean the terrorists arent going to hold up a sign saying " In exactly 20 minutes I will detonate a bomb" are they and they aren't like lurking in dark shadows with big moustaches overcoats and trilbies.... however they will note the stupidity of publicly announcing that security and bag checks will occur between hours of 4 pm and 8:30 pm on Khao San road... wake up Thailand.. you are not immune and this thinking that we are Thai, this doesn't happen here.. well guess what it has and it will again.

Best you can hope for with additional security cameras is location of your favourite somtam cart and maybe identify which BIB is raking in the most tea money.

• Like 1

*Unnecessarily long quote*

What's a suspicious vehicle?

A black Humvee, a red Ferrari or a 20 year old Toyota Corolla?

Just curious.

Moving abnormally slowly, kerb crawling, parking illegally, blacked out windows, pickups with canvas covered objects in the back, things like this is what I would suggest.

If the army is running the country, there will be no security issue. I say bring back the Army.

This coming from the person that condoned preferential blowing up of farangs in khao san rd.. I would have hoped the outcry of commentary you received would have made you look to other sites to demonstrate your mental prowess.

• Like 1

yep this will do the trick.. you will now have more than one angle shot of the terrorist blowing up whatever he chooses including himself.

The answer is to spend the money on getting a decent counter intelligence section going and liaise and take stock and have credibility in international counter intelligence circles.

Instead of the "it will never happen in Thailand bs" ( witness that goose who made statements re Pattaya a few weeks ago) start getting into the 21st century and get a few good men trained overseas and heading up a smart division.

Its just so Thai to think the solution is to install more security cameras....I mean the terrorists arent going to hold up a sign saying " In exactly 20 minutes I will detonate a bomb" are they and they aren't like lurking in dark shadows with big moustaches overcoats and trilbies.... however they will note the stupidity of publicly announcing that security and bag checks will occur between hours of 4 pm and 8:30 pm on Khao San road... wake up Thailand.. you are not immune and this thinking that we are Thai, this doesn't happen here.. well guess what it has and it will again.

Best you can hope for with additional security cameras is location of your favourite somtam cart and maybe identify which BIB is raking in the most tea money.

Monty, Exactly correct. Security cameras are generally 'post incident' unless you have a well trained response force who can get to the scene quickly. And with the traffic in Bkk that isn't likely going to happen unless they plan to use helicopters on standby with rapid rope deployment capabilities.

The cameras can of course track vehicles, or personnel, but this will only be effective with well trained teams.

Comment from an earlier poster; what make a vehicle suspicious, very good question unless there has been specific intel on it.

BANGKOK: -- The city administrative body installs more surveillance cameras in Bangkok to ensure security after the blasts last week in the capital.

I hope they use real cameras and not dummies.

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

IMHO, They need to seperate their intelligence organization to deal with internal issues and external threats, having a central controlling body to compile and distribute the gathered intelligence to the neccessary departments. And greater cooperation with surrounding countries intelligence networks. Point of note was the recent third Iranian who had already arrived in Malaysia without the Malaysian authorities being notified.

Just curious.

Moving abnormally slowly, kerb crawling, parking illegally, blacked out windows, pickups with canvas covered objects in the back, things like this is what I would suggest.

So you have just quoted thousands of vehicles seen in Bangkok on any one day. wai.gif

jb1

Just curious.

Oh, you mean virtually every car and truck in Thailand! :)

Just curious.

The first 3 describes taxis, illegal parking and black outs describes bangkok cars, and the canvas is required.

Just curious.

The first 3 describes taxis, illegal parking and black outs describes bangkok cars, and the canvas is required.

Sorry, I should have included a tongue in cheek Icon, will this dogiggle.gif, or this one w00t.gif ?

Extra cameras won't actually stop the explosions. It will just mean that there will be more video of the perps in the days and weeks prior to incidents. That won't stop the perps leaving the country either, as there will be so much video to watch, it'll be weeks before anyone is actually identified.

• Like 1

If the army is running the country, there will be no security issue. I say bring back the Army.

This coming from the person that condoned preferential blowing up of farangs in khao san rd.. I would have hoped the outcry of commentary you received would have made you look to other sites to demonstrate your mental prowess.

Yeah ...right!

There should be stricter controls for individuals with links to the following countries: Iran, Iraq, KSA, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Lybia, Palestinians, Afghanistan, Pakistan etc...Also for individuals of naturalised citizens of western nations that have orgins from the afore mantioned countries. Furthermore, there should be closer co-operation with agencies like M16 (or 5) and CIA and maybe Mossad to share information on threats. Additional controls in places where chemicals can be purchased and made into explosives, plus involvement of double agents...Similar techniques to those used in drug-enforcement operations. It would not hurt for certain law enforcement operatives to go on courses in the US Uk or maybe even Israel to learn more on how to tackle the problem. Adding more camera surveillance will help, but it's the intelligence information that is lacking.

Just curious.

Sounds like CIA, KGB, M15 shadowing behavior... . I guess those guys will need to paint big numbers on them so the video gamers don't get confused.

Bangkok Governor Ensures Safety After Triple Blast Incident

Title is misleading! The only thing I read was that they wanted to step up security by installing more cameras, having more police check points and scrutinizing some visitors more closely. I am rather happy not to see another Thai official ensuring my safety and declaring Thailand is safe from terrorism. Because the truth of the matter is, no one can ensure my safety because terrorism can happen anywhere at anytime.

Monty, Exactly correct. Security cameras are generally 'post incident' unless you have a well trained response force who can get to the scene quickly. And with the traffic in Bkk that isn't likely going to happen unless they plan to use helicopters on standby with rapid rope deployment capabilities.

The cameras can of course track vehicles, or personnel, but this will only be effective with well trained teams.

Comment from an earlier poster; what make a vehicle suspicious, very good question unless there has been specific intel on it.

actually your post stimulated a thought or rather an experience I had .. hired a BMW X3 a few months ago.. heavily tinted windows and I mean heavily even the windscreen ( bloody dangerous at night) .. in daylight you couldn't see in the car even through windscreen.. noticed at country check points where they stop and take a look that we were every time waved through.. as if we were someone of importance....

Until the police and security personnnel in this country are free to inspect and challenge with impunity and without fear of any negative consequences for doing one's job such as what we saw with the kid at the airport then Im afraid security isn't going to be something Thailand is known for.

I said it before during floods and I'll say it again.. Thailand has great people and a great way of life but they should seriously consider contracting Singaporean officialdom to run the country .. if you can't manage yourselves and prevent social uprisings like the airport and city centre fiasco how the hell do you hope to manage and effectively deal with well co-ordinated, well financed terrorism.

Ensure - to make certain or garantee, how on earth can anyone do this? Why is he so sure and positive that he will protect the city from such incidents. I think he is biting off more than he can chew with this coment that he ENSURES? Instead of putting his stamp on it he would of been better simply saying that he is putting additional measures in place to help secure the city..

Just curious.

just adding to your comments......

blacked out windows applies to almost every vehicle on Bangkok roads....!!! ...impossible to see inside 99% of vehicles...therefore aren't they in fact "all suspicious"...perfect cover to move from A to B unnoticed

• Like 1